Plusnet usenet

Old September 2nd 19, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Plusnet usenet

Any plusnet users here?

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

I think it previously recognised plusnet users by IP addr

Have they forgotten to send a shilling to Giganews?

Anyone got a different method to ping Bob other than
p.s.customer-feedback? I think he does show up over here, but only
rarely, maybe mentioning his name is the magic spell?

Old September 2nd 19, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bruce Stephens[_2_]

On 02/09/2019 20:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

No. It's probably just a temporary glitch (that's not hitting me (yet),
obviously).
Old September 2nd 19, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Bruce Stephens wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

No. It's probably just a temporary glitch (that's not hitting me (yet),
obviously).

Hmmm, I only use the PN server for a couple of groups, such as their own
support group, but not this one ...
Old September 2nd 19, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Bruce Stephens wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

No.

Of course it does help if you drop the VPN you used to access a
customer's network!

Old September 2nd 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 20:49:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Any plusnet users here?

Yes.

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

No.

I think it previously recognised plusnet users by IP addr

This rings a bell. IIRC it's because you have an IP address
which has been allocated to Plusnet which is not yet in
Giganews' database of Plusnet IPs.

As I opted for a fixed IP address many years ago I've never been
prompted.
--
Roger
Old September 2nd 19, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

wrote:

I think it previously recognised plusnet users by IP addr

This rings a bell. IIRC it's because you have an IP address
which has been allocated to Plusnet which is not yet in
Giganews' database of Plusnet IPs.

And if I'm right I think it's expecting a Giganews username and
password not your Plusnet credentials.
--
Roger
Old September 3rd 19, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Laurence Taylor

On 02/09/2019 19:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Any plusnet users here?

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

This is a Thunderbird bug. If Thunderbird doesn't get a response from
the news server in what it thinks is a reasonable time, it asks for a
login.

What it thinks it is supposed to do with whatever you type in, I'm not sure!

--
rgds
LAurence

Old September 3rd 19, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Laurence Taylor wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Has news.plus.net started prompting you for username/password?

This is a Thunderbird bug.

Sadly, it was user error.

Old September 6th 19, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 02/09/2019 20:49, Andy Burns wrote:
...maybe mentioning his name is the magic spell?

Well it seemed to work for you on this occasion :P