BT [Yahoo!] email down again

Old September 6th 19, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT [Yahoo!] email down again

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 17:03:11 UTC+1, Brighton Rock wrote:
On 05/09/2019 15:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

I have set my BT (and Yahoo) accounts to forward to a gmail account so
that I have some chance of reading mail when the BT (and Yahoo) servers
stop talking to me. But I don't think that it helped this time as I too
have an interesting time gap in incoming email so I suspect that any
emails sent then weren't even getting picked up by Yahoo.

They started trickling in this morning anything up to 24 hours late.
Old September 6th 19, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 05/09/2019 15:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

Just in case you haven't spotted it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49596820

Old September 6th 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into
hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

It's not the ISP you have to change, it's the mail provider. Get a
domain name of your own and pay somebody for a proper mail service!

Or get gmail.

Depends whether you are OK with Google reading your mail and using it
for targeting their advertising ...

Nothing is free, but you do get your emails

Old September 6th 19, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N_i_c_k

On 2019-09-06, Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Depends whether you are OK with Google reading your mail and using it
for targeting their advertising ...

Nothing is free, but you do get your emails

A web search (not using Google) for "gmail junk false positive" says
no, in general you don't.
--
N_i_c_k

Old September 6th 19, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 2019-09-06, Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Depends whether you are OK with Google reading your mail and using it
for targeting their advertising ...

Nothing is free, but you do get your emails

A web search (not using Google) for "gmail junk false positive" says
no, in general you don't.

Maybe I'm being particularly thick today, but I don't understand that.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 6th 19, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richmond

MissRiaElaine writes:

On 06/09/2019 13:07, Richmond wrote:
Graham J writes:

Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into
hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

It's not the ISP you have to change, it's the mail provider. Get a
domain name of your own and pay somebody for a proper mail service!

Or get gmail.

Depends whether you are OK with Google reading your mail and using it for
targeting their advertising ...

I believe they stopped doing that. But third party apps can still do it.

(If you don't believe me, google it. )

Adblock Plus and Ghostery work wonders. Haven't seen an online ad in
years. DuckDuckGo is a reasonably efficient search engine as well.

Personally I use Gmail with Thunderbird, and I've never seen any ads there.

It's not about seeing ads, it's about whether google reads your
email. They said they had stopped doing it. That's not to say they don't
target ads, but they must use some other method.
Old September 6th 19, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 06/09/2019 22:16, Richmond wrote:

It's not about seeing ads, it's about whether google reads your
email. They said they had stopped doing it. That's not to say they don't
target ads, but they must use some other method.

On 06/09/2019 22:16, Richmond wrote:

It's not about seeing ads, it's about whether google reads your
email. They said they had stopped doing it. That's not to say they don't
target ads, but they must use some other method.

I don't think they ever used humans to read mail, but if they did look
at any of mine they wouldn't see much of interest..!

My philosophy is don't say anything online you wouldn't say to someone
face to face. Maybe if a few more people did the same the world would be
a better place.

Time for bed, methinks. Night all.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 8th 19, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 06/09/2019 09:41, Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised
nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into
hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

It's not the ISP you have to change, it's the mail provider.* Get a
domain name of your own and pay somebody for a proper mail service!

Or get gmail.

Depends whether you are OK with Google reading your mail and using it
for targeting their advertising ...

at least you know they are reading it.