BT [Yahoo!] email down again

« openwrt 19.07 | - »

Old December 21st 19, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default BT [Yahoo!] email down again

Tweed wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Friday, 6 September 2019 13:29:55 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
On 05/09/2019 15:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...orking-3287154

When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago.

Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into
hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it.

It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-(

PS it hit lots of other ISP's too, so please don't suggest moving.

Just in case you haven't spotted it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49596820

Fallen over again overnight, one can get on web mail, but my phone,
tablet and Outlook all get authentification failure - the usual scenario
when Yahoo!'s servers are ****ed.

I will suggest moving. Don't use email from an ISP. I have my own domain,
it costs a trivial amount each year. Currently it is hosted by Ionos
(renamed 1&1), who again charge very little for the email service. I think
it has failed on me once in the last decade. If I fall out with Ionos I
could move my email to another provider without having to tell everyone my
email address has changed. I've no idea why you persist with Yahoo provided
email in the face of all the evidence you provide.

+1

I use Tollon (nw Elite) for domain name & hosting - good value and
helpful ...

--
Graham J
Old December 22nd 19, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 21 December 2019 16:10:03 UTC, Tweed wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

Personal domains were available in 1997 when I went online at home, but were very unreliable and you often had to use paid for dial up or ISDN.

Now with a BT internet email address, which loads of people know if I want another ISP and to keep my BTI address they want 7.50p per month just for "premium service". Quite a nasty trap.

As it happens we rented an Ionos address during the general election.
Old December 23rd 19, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

That's just playing with words. The solution to your problems is in your
hands.....
Old December 24th 19, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

About the only time I use my BT Internet EMail is when an EMail using my
normal EMail address bounces. Happens occasionally with one friend when
his EMail provided decides I am SPAM for some reason.

Old December 24th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 23 December 2019 06:37:36 UTC, Tweed wrote:

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

That's just playing with words. The solution to your problems is in your
hands.....

BT were supposed to have migrated off Yahoo! years and years ago, and most customers have, alas not all.
Old December 24th 19, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2019 06:37:36 UTC, Tweed wrote:

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

That's just playing with words. The solution to your problems is in your
hands.....

BT were supposed to have migrated off Yahoo! years and years ago, and
most customers have, alas not all.

Incompetent ISP and incompetent mail provider. There are better providers
of both services. As I said, the answer to your problem is I your hands.
Venting here about BT is not going to improve matters.

Old December 24th 19, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , R.
Mark Clayton writes
On Monday, 23 December 2019 06:37:36 UTC, Tweed wrote:

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

That's just playing with words. The solution to your problems is in your
hands.....

BT were supposed to have migrated off Yahoo! years and years ago, and
most customers have, alas not all.

It started then stopped for "service issues" I think they may have meant
"contractual issues". That's when I left.
I now use gmail as my base e-mail service and rent my own domain name. I
set gmail to pick up any emails from my ISP mail box so I don't lose any
during the transition period. By now everyone apart from my ISP uses my
own email address. They don't see my gmail address.
--
bert
Old January 14th 20, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 14:51:24 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2019 06:37:36 UTC, Tweed wrote:

I DON'T persist with Yahoo, BT do.

That's just playing with words. The solution to your problems is in your
hands.....

BT were supposed to have migrated off Yahoo! years and years ago, and most customers have, alas not all.

Today there was another hiccup and at last I got a handle on the fault.

About 10:50 I went to look at at my email on my tablet. It immediately gave a authentification failure and at the same time my phone bleeped - revealing an authentification failure on email. The phone was fairly up to date, but the tablet was a couple of hours behind.

The cause seems very likely a hazard / race that occurs when two devices try and access email at the same time, as both devices will try and update what has been read and what hasn't.

Interestingly the email recovered within three hours, whereas usually it is 12 hours or even a whole day.
Old January 16th 20, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

I received this email from BT yesterday:

Welcome to your new and improved email service

Hello,

Welcome to your new and improved email service from BT.

What's been happening?

We know it's important for you to have an email service that's smart,
secure, and safe. Along with some great new features, that's what you'll
get with our spanking new, all-BT service. We think you're going to like
it.

You'll find all your emails and contacts in the same place, just as you
left them.

How can I get the best from my new email?

We hope you'll find your new service simple and easy to use - but if you do
need any help getting started, why not take a look at our support page
http://www.bt.com/emailchanges ? Here you'll find all the help you need,
including some short videos that'll show you how to get the best out of it.

You'll find the new terms of service at http://www.bt.com/newemailterms.

Best wishes,
BT Email team

————

The odd part is that I left BT almost six months ago! To my surprise, I
can still receive emails on my BT email address, though I don't send any.
My BT (McAfee) AV continues to work, and updates as it should. But my BT
Cloud cut off a while ago.
Old January 19th 20, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 16:05:29 UTC, Recliner wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Lucky you.

Logged off earlier today after checking the Spam folder for genuine emails before purging it and it an it took me to a Yahoo! "do you really wont to exit?" page.