BT [Yahoo!] email down again

Old January 26th 20, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

Default BT [Yahoo!] email down again

In article , R.
Mark Clayton writes
On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 22:41:58 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
On 22/01/2020 20:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 18:24:44 UTC, Chris wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 08:58:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:29, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 15:13:04 UTC, bert wrote:

How many hundreds of contacts use my current email address. How many
dozens of authentifications are tied to it as well?

You should know that.

It is a pain, but it is doable with a managed transition over a
few months.
You only need to do it once and then you'll be in complete control and not
at the mercy of BT's ineptitude.

+1 to having your own domain.

A lot more annoying than albeit irritating current situation.

Then stop complaining about it on here. You have the solution, but are
unprepared to use it.

I have a sore leg too, but I ain't going to amputate it.

But you don't come complaining about it here, and then refuse to
amputate it. If you're not prepared to follow the solutions offered,
stop moaning about it!.

If my car has a flat tire I fix it, I don't scrap the car. Same for my
ISP, except of course it is BT who need to fix their email.

Well they haven't fixed it in the last 3 years or more so what makes you
think they might fix it now?
--
bert
Old January 26th 20, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article id, Ray
writes

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Except you can't fix your ISP. And it's not their email. It's not even Yahoo
any more.
They dumped them years ago and moved to Critical Path, which is now
Synchronoss.
https://synchronoss.com/products/messaging/universal-messaging-suite/

Well they started to dump Yahoo but as you see from the Subject Line of
this thread there are still many BT users still on Yahoo.
--
bert
Old January 27th 20, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 18:34:26 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

If you mean that it would store all my passwords on my own computer to
save me the trouble of remembering them and typing them in every time
I want to access something, I can already do this with Firefox, and in
addition if I want to I can set a master password so nobody can see
its stored list.

Yes. It does all that, plus

* it is not restricted to only Firefox
* can store information they isn't just username + password e.g. recovery
questions

So it's a sort of database - but where does it store its data?

Wherever you want. The default is on your local disk.

If it
stores it somewhere else on the internet then it presumably has to be
protected by a password itself, which is surely equivalent to using
the same password for everything - and it's on somebody else's server,
on the internet, which is bad.

You do realise your computer is "on the internet", right? Does that make it
"bad"? If someone got remote access to your PC they could trawl it to find
your password file.

* you can choose to sync across all devices you have (PCs, phones, tablets)
using the sync method of your choice

Ah. That implies that it must keep its data somewhere on the internet,
or at least occasionally communicate information about it. This
doesn't seem to me a good thing to do with sensitive personal
information such as *all* my passwords in one place.

Did you see the bit that says "you can choose"? So the choice is completely
up to you and if do want to then you can choose any of the typical
providers: dropbox, icloud, box, onedrive, etc. Or you even select your own
server for some managers.

You have a master password, which is not stupidly limited to only 12
lowercase characters that some websites have. You set your own long and
difficult to guess password. The database file is heavily encrypted and the
password is hashed and salted. So even if someone knew your password they
couldn't unlock the database without the right salt. I know I've tried it
myself.

It is very secure as long as the master password is difficult to guess.

* automatic and continuous backups
* it generates strong passwords based on yours or the website's criteria
e.g. pronounceable ones or only numbers and letters or specific lengths

Yes, these are handy refinements, but pointless if the fundamental
security of the whole scheme is compromised by keeping sensitive data
somewhere "in the cloud".

False premise.

I wonder if you have one of those litle emergency keysafes containing
a spare front door key attached to the wall near your front door?

No. I don't live in a holiday let. Why?