Virgin media parameters

Old September 15th 19, 02:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default Virgin media parameters

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:25:03 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
Woody disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Their tech will fit you a Superhub 3 (by Netgear) unless you stop him en
route and ask for a Superhub 2 which is a much better product.

In what way? I have heard that the 3 is not good for online gaming, in
which I do not partake. Can one get third party cable modems that are
better or is one stuck with VM's Superhubs?
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Old September 15th 19, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

In what way? I have heard that the 3 is not good for online gaming, in
which I do not partake. Can one get third party cable modems that are
better or is one stuck with VM's Superhubs?

You have to use their cable modems I'm afraid. Having also been with VM
(and before that NTL) for 25+ years I'd say I'm pretty happy with the
service, apart from the price increases. It does fall over from time to
time (perhaps twice per year on average?) and this is cured by power
cycling the modem. The time from turning the power back on to you having a
working service is relatively long, time enough to go and make a cup of
tea. The modem seems to spend a lot of time downloading things from the
network and generally faffing around. I believe the super hub 3's problems
fundamentally lie with it having a dodgy Intel chipset. Over time various
software workarounds have been applied by Netgear/VM to make it useable. I
have a SH2, but both offspring have had SH3s in university shared houses
without any problem. Not many years ago VM had a problem with unregistered
modems being added to the network and using up all the local bandwidth.
This seemed to be down to weaknesses in the way the modem authenticated
with the network. They've fixed that now with proper security certificates,
which is another reason why you will never get to use your own modem. I did
once run into a senior technician at a green cabinet trying to locate such
a modem. Basically disconnecting bits of the distribution coax to find
which bit of cable it was sat on. Cable modems have a downloaded
configuration file that defines the speed you get. In simplified terms, the
modem gets full wire speed from the cable network. This gets reduced to
your purchased speed by turning the flow to your lan on and off (sort of
like xon/xoff if you are old enough..). A pirate modem, which is also not
rate limited (uncapped), can saturate your local cable segment and ruin
performance for all on that segment. You effectively share your bandwidth
with your neighbours on the network. But before this sounds like doom and
gloom, my 200 down/ 20 Mbits/sec up service rarely deviates from this.
Old September 15th 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 06:52:07 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Not many years ago VM had a problem with unregistered
modems being added to the network and using up all the local bandwidth.
This seemed to be down to weaknesses in the way the modem authenticated
with the network. They’ve fixed that now with proper security certificates,
which is another reason why you will never get to use your own modem.

The MAC address of the modem has to match the MAC address held in the
account details, otherwise the system will refuse to accept it.

It's not even possible for the call centre agents to change the MAC
address entered in the account details, so there's no point in trying
to persuade them. When a new modem is issued for an account, its
details will have been allocated to that particular account
automatically from the inventory details when it is sent out, and even
if the MAC address has for some reason not yet been added
automatically to the account details, any attempt by the agent to type
in the wrong values will simply not work. The account software will
refuse to save an incorrect MAC address.

The *only* way you can get a cable modem to work on a VM account is to
get it from VM themselves, and it will *only* work on the cable to
which it is allocated, and only if there is a valid paid-up account
associated with that cable. You can't even swap one temporarily with a
friend as a faultfinding exercise. It just won't work.

Basically, if you've bought a cable modem from any third party, even
if it's a secondhand VM modem, hoping to be able to use it on a VM
account, you have in fact just bought a doorstop.

Rod.
Old September 15th 19, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 15/09/2019 13:24, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The *only* way you can get a cable modem to work on a VM account is to
get it from VM themselves, and it will *only* work on the cable to
which it is allocated, and only if there is a valid paid-up account
associated with that cable. You can't even swap one temporarily with a
friend as a faultfinding exercise. It just won't work.

Basically, if you've bought a cable modem from any third party, even
if it's a secondhand VM modem, hoping to be able to use it on a VM
account, you have in fact just bought a doorstop.

Well that's a bit crap. It should be a fundamental right to be able to
use your own equipment on a connection you are paying (often an arm and
a couple of legs for).

We don't have VM in this area, and from what I gather there is little or
no prospect of ever getting it. We do have FTTC with Sky, and they are
very similar in insisting you use their supplied modem/router, but at
least it's possible to get around that if you can obtain the correct
sign-on details.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 15th 19, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On 15/09/2019 15:53, MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

Perhaps some people would like to go back and read my first contribution.
You can very easily and legally (VM tell you how to do it!!) change the
SH to operate as a modem only to which you can attach your own router
and then run your network as you wish. I've been doing exactly that
for over a decade, made much easier these days by the fact that most
routers will work on ADSL or as a router sitting on the end of an
external modem by simply ticking a box in the config.
Simples?

Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 17th 19, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 16:32:35 +0100, Woody
wrote:

[...]

You then end up with two boxes, with two power supplies, instead of
one. Yes, you can use your own router, but you cannot use your own
modem. You have to use the one they supply.

Rod.
Old September 17th 19, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Latham

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 24, 2019.

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:

You then end up with two boxes, with two power supplies, instead of
one. Yes, you can use your own router, but you cannot use your own
modem. You have to use the one they supply.

That is indeed true.

It all depends if the router in the Super-Hub 3 provides both the
performance and/or facilities you desire. For me, it doesn't.

I run an Asus router with custom firmware which IMO has far better
Wi-Fi and plenty of bells and whistles.

YMMV.

It has been some months now, not sure how many, that the SH3 had a
firmware upgrade. Before that, if you used your own router you had to
start the modem and router in a specific order or it would fail to
connect. Since the upgrade that is no longer the case, you can boot
either in any order.

Cheers,

Bob.

--
Bob Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands
Old September 17th 19, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 09:02:20 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Bob Latham disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

I run an Asus router with custom firmware which IMO has far better
Wi-Fi and plenty of bells and whistles.

Snap!

My last Asus router used to drop my internet whenever I fired up my
transmitter. My current one is rock solid in that regard. The first
thing I will check with my VM box in modem mode is to how well it
behave when I transmit. If it barfs, it will be an order cancellation.

It has been some months now, not sure how many, that the SH3 had a
firmware upgrade. Before that, if you used your own router you had to
start the modem and router in a specific order or it would fail to
connect. Since the upgrade that is no longer the case, you can boot
either in any order.

Good to know.

Many thanks.

Old September 17th 19, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

I run an Asus router with custom firmware which IMO has far better
Wi-Fi and plenty of bells and whistles.

Snap!

My last Asus router used to drop my internet whenever I fired up my
transmitter. My current one is rock solid in that regard. The first
thing I will check with my VM box in modem mode is to how well it
behave when I transmit. If it barfs, it will be an order cancellation.

It has been some months now, not sure how many, that the SH3 had a
firmware upgrade. Before that, if you used your own router you had to
start the modem and router in a specific order or it would fail to
connect. Since the upgrade that is no longer the case, you can boot
either in any order.

Good to know.

Many thanks.

I have been trying to get myself on air for a year but with significant
matching and noise problems (HF.) Neither my VM SH2 in modem mode or my
TPL router have ever hiccupped.