Virgin media parameters

Old September 8th 19, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default Virgin media parameters

Hi,

I will be joining Virgin media at the end of the month and would like
to use my own router. I have already asked on the VM community and
have not got anything useful.

The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network parameters
that I can enter into my router. Does anybody here know where I can
get them?

Thanks
--
Cheers,

DrT

*** The problem with marriage is ***
*** that there's no casting vote!! ***
Old September 8th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 08/09/2019 16:09, DrTeeth wrote:

I will be joining Virgin media at the end of the month and would like
to use my own router. I have already asked on the VM community and
have not got anything useful.

The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network parameters
that I can enter into my router. Does anybody here know where I can
get them?

You don't tell us anything about your connection, whether it's landline
or mobile. The mobile settings are he

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/ba-p/3629014
Old September 8th 19, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Latham

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 15, 2019.

In article ,
DrTeeth wrote:
Hi,

I will be joining Virgin media at the end of the month and would
like to use my own router. I have already asked on the VM community
and have not got anything useful.

The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network
parameters that I can enter into my router. Does anybody here know
where I can get them?

I think you will find that your own router will use DHCP to obtain
its settings from Virgin Media, there is very little to do yourself.
Just put the VM modem router into modem only mode, though it will
still work even if you don't with double NAT.

My IPv4 settings:

WAN Connection Type - Automatic IP
Enable WAN - Yes
Enable NAT - Yes
Enable UPnP - No

Connect to DNS Server automatically - Yes
Enable DNS over TLS support DoT becomes primary DNS server(s) - No
Enable DNSSEC support DNS servers must support DNSSEC - No
Enable DNS Rebind protection - No

MTU - 1500
Authentication - None

Host Name - blank
DHCP query frequency - Normal Mode
Manual clientid (Option 61) - blank
Manual Vendor class (Option 60) - blank

Mine is now an old router Asus RT-N66U running custom firmware.

Hope that helps

Bob.

--
Bob Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands
Old September 8th 19, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I will be joining Virgin media at the end of the month and would
like to use my own router.
The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network
parameters that I can enter into my router.

They will almost certainly supply a combined cable modem hub wifi router, which
you access from http://192.168.100.1/

Sign in and Settings should offer an option to enable Modem Mode, which will
turn off all the router and wifi settings and turn into a cable modem.

In your own router, choose WAN as Dynamic IP, DHCP or Obtain an IP address
automatically, and the cable modem will supply a public IP address, mask and
gateway.

Angus
Old September 9th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 18:24 +0100 (BST), just as I was about to take a
herb, (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
disturbed my reverie and wrote:

They will almost certainly supply a combined cable modem hub wifi router, which
you access from
http://192.168.100.1/

That IP is for modem only mode. The initial IP is 192.168.0.1
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Old September 9th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Thanks Bob.

Old September 9th 19, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 16:21:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
Java Jive disturbed my reverie and wrote:

You don't tell us anything about your connection, whether it's landline
or mobile.

Good point! It will be their cabled BB network, M350.

Old September 9th 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Their tech will fit you a Superhub 3 (by Netgear) unless you stop him en
route and ask for a Superhub 2 which is a much better product.

When you are on line log into the Superhub at the IP address and using
the password that you will find on the Superhub label. You will be asked
to change the username and password of the box. One of the options you
will get is 'modem mode' - select it and save, then reboot the Superhub.

Connect up your own router and configure that to do what you want. Note
that on modem mode only port 1 on the Superhub works, and the wifi will
also be switched off.

Also when in modem mode the Superhub address third quadrant will change
from n to 100, such as 192.168.0.1 becomes 192.168.100.1.

I have assumed you will be getting a cable connection - AFAIK VM are no
longer doing landline feeds.

Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 9th 19, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On 09/09/2019 18:25, Woody wrote:
Their tech will fit you a Superhub 3 (by Netgear) unless you stop him en
route and ask for a Superhub 2 which is a much better product.

When you are on line log into the Superhub at the IP address and using
the password that you will find on the Superhub label. You will be asked
to change the username and password of the box. One of the options you
will get is 'modem mode' - select it and save, then reboot the Superhub.

Connect up your own router and configure that to do what you want. Note
that on modem mode only port 1 on the Superhub works, and the wifi will
also be switched off.

Also when in modem mode the Superhub address third quadrant will change
from n to 100, such as 192.168.0.1 becomes 192.168.100.1.

I have assumed you will be getting a cable connection - AFAIK VM are no
longer doing landline feeds.

Two points that I missed.
VM do not allocate a fixed external IP address but in practice the
address you will get by DHCP does not change unless you go off line for
a extended period of time.
You will need to set the DNS address in your router. The default VM
address is begins 194.x.y.z but you will find Google on 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4. or Open DNS works just as well and usually faster.
You will also find that something like Eternal September works better
that the VM news server (if indeed it is still workin) although you
won't be able to see the VM-unique newsgroups (but you won't miss much.)

Mail be directly if you need more info - I've been on VM for 20+ years.

Old September 15th 19, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:36:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
Woody disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Mail be directly if you need more info - I've been on VM for 20+ years.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.