Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Old September 10th 19, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Recliner[_4_]

Default Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Andrew wrote:
On 09/09/2019 16:52, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 11:47:39 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which carried out the research,
said people falling into the category tended to be older and poorer than
frequent net users.

The size of the group presented a "dilemma" for any government trying to
reach and support them, said the OII.
Age drop

"Non-users are older, proportionately less well-educated and have lower
incomes," said Dr Grant Blank, survey research fellow at the OII, who
oversaw the project.

Non-users, said Dr Blank, were those who did not go online via any means
- either phone or computer. The proportion of those falling into this
category grew as people aged, he said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49607061

How many have children, grandchildren, neighbours, friends etc who
could assist if they tried?

These are the people more likely to fall for the telephone scams, like:-

'This is Microsoft Your IP address has been compromised', or
'There are unusual transactions on your bank account, so you
need to move your money to a safe account'

And now they will get full compo from the banks shareholders and
other savers, so I for one sincerely hope that this group *never*
get on the internet. As long as utilities etc carry on accepting
postal cheque payments then this group will be quite happy.

I'm currently being bombarded by calls supposedly from BT, all apparently
from different (fake) numbers, nothing like a real BT number. Usually I
ignore such calls and don't pick up, but once in a while I do, just for
fun. They start with a recorded stern British voice with some alarming
announcement that my BT line is about to be terminated or is compromised,
then switch to an American recorded voice before switching to a low
quality, very noisy Indian call centre (much worse than the ones BT uses).

Just to amuse myself, I sometimes see how long I can string them along. One
said that they had detected that my line speed had dropped, and the router
needed attention. I feigned concern, and asked what speeds they'd detected;
I wouldn't move on till he gave me an answer. I was hoping he'd make some
absurd speed number up, but his script obviously didn't cover that, so he
hung up (I know my actual line speeds very well, a rock solid 165Mbps, both
up and down, and nothing to do with BT, which I no longer use).

Old September 11th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
tim...

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

tim

Old September 11th 19, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
tim...

wrote:

[...]

The guy who called me asked "how many devices do you have connected to your
internet"

to which I replied "I don't now, how do I find out" (FTAOD I do know)

He got confused so I said "I have a TV and a PVR both of which decide for
themselves whether to connect to the internet at any point in time".

How do I find out if they have decided to connect today?

He didn't seem to have an answer.

and eventually gave up

But I was acting in exactly the way that a numpty who might buy into his
scam would act. And yet his script couldn't catch me

tim

Old September 11th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 10/09/2019 18:50, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 17:51, Andrew wrote:
On 09/09/2019 16:52, Scott wrote:

How many have children, grandchildren, neighbours, friends etc who
could assist if they tried?

These are the people more likely to fall for the telephone scams, like:-

'This is Microsoft Your IP address has been compromised', or
'There are unusual transactions on your bank account, so you
need to move your money to a safe account'

If they tried that with my mum (she's 92 and has never used any form of
modern technology beyond a VCR, and she's forgotten how to use that now)
she'd likely respond with "What's a Microsoft..?"

That was my response when an indian-sounding gentleman phoned me.
Me: "Is that your christian(!) name or surname ...", kept him
on the line for ages until he got fed up and rang off.
Old September 11th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
David Woolley

On 11/09/2019 11:01, tim... wrote:
It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being
internet uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

I suspect the question intended was more about the world wide web, which
is often confused with the internet.

Is Sky catchup actually an internet service, or just on the Sky's part
of the network?
Old September 11th 19, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:08:47 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if they're taught only to proceed with the most clueless
potential victims? If the mark shows even the slightest knowledge,
they just hang up.

It's like the old scam letters, full of typos and bad grammar.
Apparently it's deliberate, as they know that anyone who falls for it
is really dumb, and likely to be vulnerable. They'd rather not have
smarter people respond, waste their time, and then realise it's all a
scam.

These latest Indian scammers are in a really noisy environment, much
worse than any professional call centre. I wonder if they're in an
Internet cafe? I know that's where the Nigerian scam artists usually
operate from.

Old September 11th 19, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

Agreed, and certainly not if they're old.
Old September 11th 19, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:51:10 +0100, David Woolley
wrote:

On 11/09/2019 11:01, tim... wrote:
It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being
internet uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

I suspect the question intended was more about the world wide web, which
is often confused with the internet.

Is Sky catchup actually an internet service, or just on the Sky's part
of the network?

Does Sky have a private network? I thought it normally used
Openreach.
Old September 12th 19, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris

tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

They were examples of devices that use the internet but aren't computers or
mobiles - which was the definition of being an internet user. My point is
the question was too simplistic and many people could misconstrue it. A
better question would ask about broadband services or smartphone usage.