Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Old September 12th 19, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

Default Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

On 09/09/2019 11:47, Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18% described themselves as non-users.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which carried out the research, said people falling into the category tended to be older and poorer than frequent net users.

I help to run a club of ~500 members, mostly middle-aged to elderly. We introduced online booking for our events a couple of years ago and had to cope with those members who had no Internet access by retaining some way of booking things by post. Over those two years the proportion of members who were not on-line has dropped from over 20% to well under 10%. Some were very elderly and have simply died or stopped being members because of infirmity, others have got help from family or friends to get themselves on-line, perhaps after realising how much of modern life is assisted by access to the Internet. I've seen no evidence that anyone who was on-line when younger giving up the Internet as they grow older. So I think this is a problem which will be more-or-less solved in a few years as the non-users gradually die off.

--
Clive Page
Old September 12th 19, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 9 September 2019 11:47:45 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which carried out the research,
said people falling into the category tended to be older and poorer than
frequent net users.

The size of the group presented a "dilemma" for any government trying to
reach and support them, said the OII.
Age drop

"Non-users are older, proportionately less well-educated and have lower
incomes," said Dr Grant Blank, survey research fellow at the OII, who
oversaw the project.

Non-users, said Dr Blank, were those who did not go online via any means
- either phone or computer. The proportion of those falling into this
category grew as people aged, he said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49607061

Further to previous post the 20% roughly correlated to the adult illiteracy [and innumeracy] rate.
Old September 12th 19, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Clive Page wrote:
[...]

Some folk do lose the ability to use the net, my mother for one. She never
really progressed further than email and buying books on her Kindle.
Failing eyesight and intellectual ability means she can't use her Kindle or
her iPad anymore.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 13th 19, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Green

In uk.telecom.broadband Chris wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

They were examples of devices that use the internet but aren't computers or
mobiles - which was the definition of being an internet user.

They are computers surely, just not 'visible to the user' computers.
In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

--
Chris Green

Old September 13th 19, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris

tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

That's my point.

In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Old September 13th 19, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 13/09/2019 15:33, Chris wrote:

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Just because something has a processor in it and/or connects to the
internet, doesn't mean it's a computer. To my mind, and I suspect most
people, a computer is a device you use for general computing purposes -
web browsing, emails, word processing etc. I suppose you could use a
so-called 'smart' phone for all those, but to me it's too limiting. I
need a proper keyboard and a decent sized screen.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 13th 19, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

I though Alan Turing defined that back in the 1930's.

Anyway thinking of my home: -

Desktop PC's 2
Netbook 1
Tablet 1 + printer, scanner, router, relay, 2 Voip boxes
Smartphones 2 plus 2 old ones, and several retired feature phones
IP phones 5
Calculators 1 programmable 3 or 4 basic (often freebies at shows)
Smart TV's - 2
Dumb TV's 3 (2 as monitors)
Heating system - 4 (boiler, programmer, 2 chronostats)
Oven, microwave, alarm, appliances etc.
There are several in the car as well.

For a really big number I would need to count up all the transistors in RAM and ROM, but must be pushing a trillion by now.
Old September 13th 19, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Recliner[_4_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 13/09/2019 15:33, Chris wrote:

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Just because something has a processor in it and/or connects to the
internet, doesn't mean it's a computer. To my mind, and I suspect most
people, a computer is a device you use for general computing purposes -
web browsing, emails, word processing etc. I suppose you could use a
so-called 'smart' phone for all those, but to me it's too limiting. I
need a proper keyboard and a decent sized screen.

A modern smartphone has more processing power, more RAM, and more storage
than a whole data centre full of mainframes in the 1980s. So it's most
definitely a very powerful computer. Not only can you use it for web
browsing, emails, word processing, etc, but you can even shoot and watch
movies on it. The screen has more resolution than quite large monitors from
not so long ago.

Old September 13th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Green

tim... wrote:

They are computers surely, just not 'visible to the user' computers.

That's my point.

In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Yes, exactly! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old September 13th 19, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Green

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 13/09/2019 15:33, Chris wrote:

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Just because something has a processor in it and/or connects to the
internet, doesn't mean it's a computer. To my mind, and I suspect most
people, a computer is a device you use for general computing purposes -
web browsing, emails, word processing etc. I suppose you could use a
so-called 'smart' phone for all those, but to me it's too limiting. I
need a proper keyboard and a decent sized screen.

Yes, or no, it's not really well defined is it?!

A big 'mainframe' as used by banks etc. is surely a computer but it's
most certainly not a desktop PC.

So why shouldn't an 'intelligent box' of some sort be a computer?

--
Chris Green