Win 10 can't see other computers on LAN

Old September 10th 19, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain[_3_]

Default Win 10 can't see other computers on LAN

3 computers all in same workgroup (MSHOME)

Comp A windows 7
Comp B Windows 7
Comp C Windows 10

A & B can see each other and C
C can only see A & B as media devices.
I Need C to be able to access files on A & B
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Iain
Old September 10th 19, 02:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 10/09/2019 12:50, Iain wrote:
3 computers all in same workgroup (MSHOME)

Comp A windows 7
Comp B Windows 7
Comp C Windows 10

A & B can see each other and C
C can only see A & B as media devices.
*I Need C to be able to access files on A & B
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Iain

Not exactly what you are asking, I suspect, but what about setting up a
NAS drive where all the commonly required files can be stored..? That's
what we do here, we have a mixture of computers running Win7, Win10 and
Linux, they can all see two Buffalo Terastation drives, one set up as a
file server, with common and individual password-protected "drives" for
all users, and a second configured as a backup drive.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 11th 19, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian Caspersz

On 10/09/2019 12:50, Iain wrote:
3 computers all in same workgroup (MSHOME)

Comp A windows 7
Comp B Windows 7
Comp C Windows 10

A & B can see each other and C
C can only see A & B as media devices.
*I Need C to be able to access files on A & B

Have a go at

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/...etwork-places/

In particular 'Network Discovery' and 'Turn on file and printer' sharing.

The rest in that article is kind of redundant. I take it they can ping
each other?

Another short cut, is giving all accounts the same username and password.

Or maybe just sign the lot into the same google drive / dropbox /
onedrive account and have common access to stuff that way (and free backup!)

--
Adrian C
Old September 11th 19, 10:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain[_3_]

On 11/09/2019 00:46, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/09/2019 12:50, Iain wrote:
3 computers all in same workgroup (MSHOME)

Comp A windows 7
Comp B Windows 7
Comp C Windows 10

A & B can see each other and C
C can only see A & B as media devices.
**I Need C to be able to access files on A & B

Have a go at

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/...etwork-places/

In particular 'Network Discovery' and 'Turn on file and printer' sharing.

Both these are turned on

The rest in that article is kind of redundant. I take it they can ping
each other?

They can ping each other (by computer name)
Another short cut, is giving all accounts the same username and password.

they all have the same name and pw
Or maybe just sign the lot into the same google drive / dropbox /
onedrive account and have common access to stuff that way (and free
backup!)

I'll investigate this option

thanks Iain

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 10/09/2019 12:50, Iain wrote:
3 computers all in same workgroup (MSHOME)

Comp A windows 7
Comp B Windows 7
Comp C Windows 10

A & B can see each other and C
C can only see A & B as media devices.
*I Need C to be able to access files on A & B
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Iain

Late to the party (darn holidays ...). I encounter this nonsense all
the time. The suggestions in other posts are good, but here's another:
"map" the share (from "This Computer" or whatever it's called this week)
explicitly, thus \\computername\sharename or \\1.2.3.4\sharename. If
that works then it's often visible afterwards without doing anything.

And if the user names and passwords on the two machines aren't
identical, you need to check "Use different credentials".

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England