Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

Old September 18th 19, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
for example at roof level.

In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB. This limits the
cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres. So the only
practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
building - not very convenient.

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet. So
what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection. Even
better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.

So does anybody here know of such a product?

--
Graham J
Old September 18th 19, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Wed 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:
[...]

EE do a 4G wi-fi router with a RJ45 connection and from what I hear from
a farming friend who uses one (albeit in a rock solid signal area) he is
getting very good speeds. AFAIK it is contract only.
Look at https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/e...oadband-review
Note lower down it shows an external aerial.

EE have also announced a 5G router but it is horribly expensive.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...fi-router.html
and again on contract only.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 19th 19, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
for example at roof level.

In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB. This limits the
cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.

Is that entirely true? I know for passive usb cables there is a relatively
low limit but there are plenty of longer cables with “active signal
boosters”. It may just be snake oil and I have no personal experience but
a 10m active cable can be bought for under 12 so it might worth a punt.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 19th 19, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

I see the review photo shows the external antenna, which is a
disadvantage since in the cases I've seen it would need a 20 metre feeder.

The alternative in these locations has been to install a point-to-point
wireless link from the disadvantaged site to another site where
broadband is faster. This has typically cost many hundreds of pounds
for the wireless devices (typically Engenius from Solwise) plus the need
for a cherrypicker to mount the devices high up - the customers are
usually farms which have such machines, and can make staff available to
help. So ongoing cost is not really a problem.

But I really want to use a Draytek (or similar) router for the
LAN-to-LAN VPN and the other useful features they offer.

Can these EE routers be reconfigured as modems?

--
Graham J
Old September 19th 19, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tim+ wrote:
Graham J wrote:
I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
for example at roof level.

In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB. This limits the
cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.

Is that entirely true? I know for passive usb cables there is a relatively
low limit but there are plenty of longer cables with “active signal
boosters”. It may just be snake oil and I have no personal experience but
a 10m active cable can be bought for under 12 so it might worth a punt.

Tim

Generally I would need much more than 10 metres.

The usual work-around has been a point-to-point wireless link from the
disadvantaged site to another site where broadband is faster.

The most recent installation I worked on required 82 metres of outdoor
grade Ethernet cable to get from the router (in an equipment cupboard)
to an Engenius ENH 500 wireless access point (mounted 10 metres up on a
barn) so as to achieve line-of-sight communication with a another ENH
500 on a barn about 10 km away.

It is likely that a 3G/4G/5G signal is only able to achieve a useful
30Mbits/sec if mounted at least 10 metres above ground, away from
buildings or large trees.

--
Graham J
Old September 19th 19, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:

I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
for example at roof level.

In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.

I know the situation well. In many rural areas there are local
initiatives (which BT tries damned hard to stamp on) with microwave link
service intended for farmers and business users that require a small
parabolic microwave disk and a *clear line of sight* to another node.
I fail on this latter criterion due to topography and trees

The local one here was called Clannet but has been taken over by
Quickline - you might want to look to see if there is something similar
in your neck of the woods. It gives a 20MB or 100MB connection.

https://www.quickline.co.uk/news/cla...uickline-clan/

People I know with it are very pleased with the service - about 20x
faster than the local ageing copper circuits on ADSL 2+.

There is also a lot of corporate bull**** from people who go round with
flashy powerpoint presentations telling us all how wonderful it is going
to be but firing all the technicians who know how to make it work.
Superfast North Yorkshire for instance have forgotten how to configure
their own website to be Google friendly (ROFL):

http://superfastnorthyorkshire.com/w...n#page-content

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB.* This limits the
cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.* So the only
practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
building - not very convenient.

One of the pebble type Mifi's that will accept an external aerial and a
cheap Chinese 12dB gain yagi antenna for the band that your mobile
signal is on. In theory you put it outside but for me it works OK
through a window. Pointing is fairly critical so it needs to be on a
pan-tilt head but once set up it is relatively trouble free. Data
charges sting a bit but prices are coming down.

I settled on the Hauwei E5573s-320 4G pebble which has two external
antenna sockets although I have only ever needed to use one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U7POBOE

Price seems to have gone up. May well be a newer model...

There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet.* So
what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection.* Even
better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.

So does anybody here know of such a product?

Solwise is the place to look if cost is no object. eg

https://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

I use one of their flat plate wifi antennas indoors as a range extender.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 19th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:

[snip]

The local one here was called Clannet but has been taken over by
Quickline - you might want to look to see if there is something similar
in your neck of the woods. It gives a 20MB or 100MB connection.

https://www.quickline.co.uk/news/cla...uickline-clan/

Noted. I've registered my interest, which is for a farm complex near
Spalding.

Do you know whether they offer Ethernet presentation so I could use my
own router (probably Draytek) - given that I require multiple LAN-to-LAN
VPNs, bandwidth and usage monitoring, and other useful features not
found on more basic products.

What about pro-active connection monitoring, so they ring me as soon as
there is a failure?

[snip]

Solwise is the place to look if cost is no object. eg

https://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

That one has been discontinued, but interesting to see they write:

"A Fail-over mode also features which allows for the redundancy of a
broadband internet connection when the 434-T is connected to a broadband
router via an Ethernet cable. If the service from your provider ever
goes down, the 434-T will awake from its idle state and connect to a 3G
network to allow for a virtually uninterrupted connection."

A friend has tried their:

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-routers-rut950.html

.... but it is still a router rather than a modem, and requires external
antennae so has to be sited in an upstairs bedrooom with the antennae
cabled through the wall. So not practical for many locations.

--
Graham J
Old September 19th 19, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 19/09/2019 10:58, Graham J wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:

[snip]

The local one here was called Clannet but has been taken over by
Quickline - you might want to look to see if there is something
similar in your neck of the woods. It gives a 20MB or 100MB connection.

https://www.quickline.co.uk/news/cla...uickline-clan/

Noted.* I've registered my interest, which is for a farm complex near
Spalding.

Do you know whether they offer Ethernet presentation so I could use my
own router (probably Draytek) - given that I require multiple LAN-to-LAN
VPNs, bandwidth and usage monitoring, and other useful features not
found on more basic products.

I can only comment on the ones I have seen which appear to be a LNB on
the dish powered by a small amplifier module which decodes the signal to
an ethernet socket. They supply a fairly standard mid-range router. This
was with Clannet so things may be different after the takeover. There is
obviously an installation charge for putting the antenna in at height.

What about pro-active connection monitoring, so they ring me as soon as
there is a failure?

Dunno. Not been an issue here since it has never failed except during
power cuts.

[snip]

Solwise is the place to look if cost is no object. eg

https://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

That one has been discontinued, but interesting to see they write:

"A Fail-over mode also features which allows for the redundancy of a
broadband internet connection when the 434-T is connected to a broadband
router via an Ethernet cable. If the service from your provider ever
goes down, the 434-T will awake from its idle state and connect to a 3G
network to allow for a virtually uninterrupted connection."

A friend has tried their:

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-routers-rut950.html

... but it is still a router rather than a modem, and requires external
antennae so has to be sited in an upstairs bedrooom with the antennae
cabled through the wall.* So not practical for many locations.

Although they say it is an external antenna I have found that they will
often work OK hung in a window facing in the right direction with some
dark grey paint on the window facing side so it doesn't stand out.

It is no good if you need height to see over a hill, but if it is a weak
signal due to distance then a high gain antenna may work for you too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 19th 19, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 18 September 2019 22:59:22 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:
[...]

Teltonika 4G-RUT240 Compact Industrial 4G LTE Router ~120

Not PoE AFAIK

You will also need an aerial.

I helped implement this for a colleague. Where he was there was poor ADSL, but a nearby 3 base station. A basic out door aerial sufficed.

If you are in an area of marginal signal then you will need to identify the location and band your nearest / best base station is on and buy and site a better aerial - e.g. a Yagi.

He uses a 3 'all you can eat' SIM for 20 per month. Works fine giving 20+MHz down and 10+MHz up. Sometimes congestion in the rush hour as he is near a railway terminus.

5G not really there yet, but might be interesting when it is.
Old September 19th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 19/09/2019 08:15, Graham J wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

As one would expect there are a range of devices from USB1.0 which
probably is useless

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logilink-Ov.../dp/B001TOG6MM

through to USB2..0 to CAT5 says its good for 100 meters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008ABNZOE

but rather expensive

Dave
G4UGM