IMAP, SMTP and SSL problem

Old September 25th 19, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default IMAP, SMTP and SSL problem

Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
-------------------------

I can set up an email account hosted with
https://www.broadbandcloudsolutions.co.uk/
using IMAP & SMTP ports 993 and 465, SSL enabled, and authentication for
the SMTP server.

But with exactly similar settings an account hosted with
https://www.tsohost.com fails with messages of the form "authentication
not supported by server". The only part of the account that I can get
to work is POP3 without SSL.

The people at TSOHost say they can make their account work with Outlook
2016 using IMAP and SMTP with SSL and authentication, and a colleague
reports he can also make the account work in MAC Mail using IMAP and SMTP.

Has anybody here seen a problem where some mail servers communicate
correctly with Outlook 2010 and others do not?

Should I consider moving away from https://www.tsohost.com?

--
Graham J
Old September 25th 19, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Graham J
writes
Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
-------------------------

I can set up an email account hosted with
https://www.broadbandcloudsolutions.co.uk/
using IMAP & SMTP ports 993 and 465, SSL enabled, and authentication
for the SMTP server.

But with exactly similar settings an account hosted with
https://www.tsohost.com fails with messages of the form "authentication
not supported by server". The only part of the account that I can get
to work is POP3 without SSL.

The people at TSOHost say they can make their account work with Outlook
2016 using IMAP and SMTP with SSL and authentication, and a colleague
reports he can also make the account work in MAC Mail using IMAP and
SMTP.

Has anybody here seen a problem where some mail servers communicate
correctly with Outlook 2010 and others do not?

Should I consider moving away from https://www.tsohost.com?

Graham, I have vague memories of an issue on a friends machine that was
similar.

Outlook 2010 doesn't support TLS1.2 out of the box, only 1.0 and 1.1.
If tsohosts are running a TLS 1.2 only setup for SSL connections while
broadbandcloudsolutions are supporting the earlier versions, I think you
will see the effect you are getting.

I seem to remember under Win10 that there is a tickbox somewhere to
enable things, but can't find a reference to it. There are a couple of
webpages that discuss things in a lot more detail.

https://jaapwesselius.com/2018/09/23...ted-with-tls-1
-2/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...nabling-tls-1-
1-and-1-2-in-outlook-on-windows-7/

Hope this helps.

Regards

--
Invalid
Old September 25th 19, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 25/09/2019 10:51, Graham J wrote:
Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
-------------------------

I can set up an email account hosted with
https://www.broadbandcloudsolutions.co.uk/
using IMAP & SMTP ports 993 and 465, SSL enabled, and authentication for
the SMTP server.

But with exactly similar settings an account hosted with
https://www.tsohost.com fails with messages of the form "authentication
not supported by server".* The only part of the account that I can get
to work is POP3 without SSL.

The people at TSOHost say they can make their account work with Outlook
2016 using IMAP and SMTP with SSL and authentication, and a colleague
reports he can also make the account work in MAC Mail using IMAP and SMTP.

Has anybody here seen a problem where some mail servers communicate
correctly with Outlook 2010 and others do not?

Should I consider moving away from https://www.tsohost.com?

Authentication is independant of SSL. It can be no authentication, plain
text or Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Old September 25th 19, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Dick wrote:

[snip]

Authentication is independant of SSL. It can be no authentication, plain
text or Secure Password Authentication (SPA)

I'm sure you're right.

Now that I look properly, the IMAP error message says it is unable to
establish a secure connection, the SMTP error message complains about
the wrong encryption.

--
Graham J
Old September 25th 19, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Authentication is independant of SSL. It can be no
authentication, plain text or Secure Password Authentication (SPA)

Sometimes, better mail servers won't allow plain passwords to be sent unless
secured by SSL/TLS.

Windows 7 is almost out of maintenance and needs a lot of Windows updates and
patches to support modern SSL/TLS protocols and certificates using SChannel.
Microsoft lost interest in keeping it up to date years ago and the world has
moved on.

Angus

Old September 25th 19, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 25/09/2019 17:23, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Windows 7 is almost out of maintenance and needs a lot of Windows updates and
patches to support modern SSL/TLS protocols and certificates using SChannel.
Microsoft lost interest in keeping it up to date years ago and the world has
moved on.

Linux.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 25th 19, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Sometimes, better mail servers won't allow plain passwords to be sent unless
secured by SSL/TLS.

Does Outlook have an option for START-TLS over the normal (non-s)
IMAP/SMTP ports?
Old September 25th 19, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Sometimes, better mail servers won't allow plain passwords to
be sent unless
secured by SSL/TLS.

Does Outlook have an option for START-TLS over the normal (non-s)
IMAP/SMTP ports?

Don't use Outlook very often and Outlook 2016 is asking for my email address
before letting me access it so looks screwed.

But I'm sure TLS works on all ports, that's standard in most email packages,
they know which commands to use.

Angus

Old September 25th 19, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Sometimes, better mail servers won't allow plain passwords to be sent
unless
secured by SSL/TLS.

Does Outlook have an option for START-TLS over the normal (non-s)
IMAP/SMTP ports?

Not Outlook 2010 but I've seen that on later versions.

--
Graham J