Computer support in the Holbeach area

Old October 6th 19, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Computer support in the Holbeach area

On 04/10/2019 21:50, Bob Eager wrote:
I hope that's 100GB...but yes, a good way to go.

The phishers etc must be really looking forward to high speeds like
that, just think how quickly they will be able to copy every file on a
computer or encrypt every file.

Old October 6th 19, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 04/10/2019 21:51, Bob Eager wrote:
(checks) We did 934GB last month. Mainly streaming from sons. The major
culprit is moving out next week!

A friend in the US has access to a 2 Terabit/Second connection, great
for backing up all his image files to the "cloud".

Old October 6th 19, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

MB wrote:
On 04/10/2019 21:50, Bob Eager wrote:
I hope that's 100GB...but yes, a good way to go.

The phishers etc must be really looking forward to high speeds like
that, just think how quickly they will be able to copy every file on a
computer or encrypt every file.

100MB/per *month*? Is that a high speed?

I could upload that in well under 10 secs. I get a rock-solid 165Mbps, for
both up and downloading.

As for encrypting every file, it takes minimal bandwidth, as the small
ransomware program runs locally.

Old October 6th 19, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

MB wrote:
On 04/10/2019 21:51, Bob Eager wrote:
(checks) We did 934GB last month. Mainly streaming from sons. The major
culprit is moving out next week!

A friend in the US has access to a 2 Terabit/Second connection, great
for backing up all his image files to the "cloud".

Are you quite sure about that? I suspect you're out by a factor of a
thousand, unless your friend is the NSA. Even a Cat 7 Ethernet cable can
only handle 0.5% of that data rate, and no computer could come close to
using it.

Old October 6th 19, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 06/10/2019 01:07, Recliner wrote:
Are you quite sure about that? I suspect you're out by a factor of a
thousand, unless your friend is the NSA. Even a Cat 7 Ethernet cable can
only handle 0.5% of that data rate, and no computer could come close to
using it.

Yes sure, his company is involved with various operations that move huge
amounts of data every day. Not sure if they still hold the record but
they had the world's biggest database using their software.

When I got my faster connection, he said it was about three times faster
than his (just outside San Francisco). He had once backed up all his
image files onto the Cloud and it took a couple of weeks on his home
broadband connection. Later he just took it into his office and did it
in a couple of minutes.

Old October 6th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 05/10/2019 07:59, Graham J wrote:

They've asked others in the farming community nearby but nobody can
recommend any good computer support business; in fact the reverse, the
general comment is: "Oh them, don't touch the with a bargepole, they're
useless!"

There always seems a lot of communication between farmers. I know that
when I am trying to find out about somewhere, often a wartime military
site or similar, then I ask a farmer friend and he will often be able to
ask the person who owns or owned the place.

Old October 6th 19, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

MB wrote:
On 04/10/2019 21:50, Bob Eager wrote:
I hope that's 100GB...but yes, a good way to go.

The phishers etc must be really looking forward to high speeds like
that, just think how quickly they will be able to copy every file on a
computer or encrypt every file.

100MB/per *month*? Is that a high speed?

No, that's a quota, cap, or allowance.

Even when we are talking about speed in Mb/s or Gb/s, we are not
really talking about speed per se, it doesn't even make a good
analogy.

Throughput or flow-rate, yes.

I would reserve "speed" as an alternative to latency.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 6th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Recliner wrote:

100MB/per month? Is that a high speed?

A telex line could do better!

Old October 6th 19, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 12:51:59 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

100MB/per month? Is that a high speed?

A telex line could do better!

Exactly. That's why I questioned it.
Old October 6th 19, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

wrote:

Recliner wrote:

100MB/per month? Is that a high speed?

A telex line could do better!

Exactly. That's why I questioned it.

Ah, good old telex. Creed 7's and 444's chuntering away at full
throttle, loved it..! Who needs all this high speed electronic internet
stuff..? :-)

--
Ria in Aberdeen