Computer support in the Holbeach area

Old October 6th 19, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Default Computer support in the Holbeach area

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 17:09:00 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 06/10/2019 14:53, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 12:51:59 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

100MB/per month? Is that a high speed?

A telex line could do better!

Exactly. That's why I questioned it.

Ah, good old telex. Creed 7's and 444's chuntering away at full
throttle, loved it..! Who needs all this high speed electronic internet
stuff..? :-)

In the early/mod 1970s, I worked in the computer room of a national
industrial laundry company. Their branches sent in stock levels every
night - on 5 track paper tape via Telex.
Old October 6th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 06/10/2019 17:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Ah, good old telex. Creed 7's and 444's chuntering away at full
throttle, loved it..! Who needs all this high speed electronic internet
stuff..? :-)

I used to keep in touch with a friend in the USA by sending the odd
message from PRESTEL to the Telex in his office. He was on an early
EMail system (MCI?) but it was more difficult to send across to that.

He could not send to PRESTEL so would send me reply by a letter from
MCIMail(?), it was printed out and delivered by post next day.

Old October 6th 19, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 06/10/2019 18:26, Bob Eager wrote:
In the early/mod 1970s, I worked in the computer room of a national
industrial laundry company. Their branches sent in stock levels every
night - on 5 track paper tape via Telex.

I think the history of LEO has some similar stories.

Old October 6th 19, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 07:59:45 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Woody wrote:
On 04/10/2019 12:24, Graham J wrote:
Can anybody recommend a PC support organisation in the Holbeach area
that would be prepared to take on a farming business?* The users have
an assortment of different PCs, some farming-specific applications,
and several very slow ADSL connections to their various very rural
farm offices.

None of the users know anything about computers so they need very
sympathetic hand-holding, and pro-active maintenance.

Personal recommendation quoting good experience with the organisation
would be very welcome.

If they have very slow ADSL and FTTC is nowhere near arriving, they
should consider doing mobile broadband on whichever is the best signal
in their area.

A farmer friend in Zummerzet had the same issue with ADSL coming in at
about 2Mb downhill with a following wind on a good day. Fortunately he
has very strong 4G signals from all four providers (3G only from 3) and
is now pulling top side of 40Mb (even 10+Mb on 3 at 3G.) He is chuffed
to bits and his wife even more so. He has done a deal that gets him
100Gb per month for 40 from EE - he has a 5-van caravan site which it
serves as well.

Thanks for your comments, and all the others on similar lines from other
people who have replied.

The point here is that the farming people themselves don't have the
skill or inclination to set this up for themselves. They need somebody
to do this for them, and to do all the other things that relate to their
computers, such as: "There's an error message, what do I do?" or,
"What's this Winmail.dat attachment that I can't open?" .

They've asked others in the farming community nearby but nobody can
recommend any good computer support business; in fact the reverse, the
general comment is: "Oh them, don't touch the with a bargepole, they're
useless!"

I live too far away to be able to help, and besides, I'm retired, so I
actively do not want the work.

It's quite a big farming business, and I've no reason to suppose that
they could not afford to pay a sensible commercial rate. But they don't
have the skill or knowledge to specify what they want (if they did, they
would probably support themselves).

So I really am looking for a recommendation, please.

Looked at where it is (Kings Lynn area).
Nowhere near me (and I'm retired anyway).
That isn't the most populous of areas so I assume that there is nobody on
here who is local?

Cheers

Dave R

Old October 6th 19, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 06/10/2019 18:30, MB wrote:
On 06/10/2019 17:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Ah, good old telex. Creed 7's and 444's chuntering away at full
throttle, loved it..! Who needs all this high speed electronic
internet stuff..? :-)

I used to keep in touch with a friend in the USA by sending the odd
message from PRESTEL to the Telex in his office.* He was on an early
EMail system (MCI?) but it was more difficult to send across to that.

He could not send to PRESTEL so would send me reply by a letter from
MCIMail(?), it was printed out and delivered by post next day.

Many moons ago I used a Creed 444 on Amateur Radio RTTY. It met a rather
unfortunate end when we had a house fire :-(
Old October 11th 19, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 04/10/2019 20:09, Java Jive wrote:
On 04/10/2019 19:13, Woody wrote:

A farmer friend in Zummerzet had the same issue with ADSL coming in at
about 2Mb downhill with a following wind on a good day. Fortunately he
has very strong 4G signals from all four providers (3G only from 3)
and is now pulling top side of 40Mb (even 10+Mb on 3 at 3G.) He is
chuffed to bits and his wife even moreso. He has done a deal that gets
him 100Gb per month for 40 from EE - he has a 5-van caravan site
which it serves as well.

According to the latest Ofcom figures, the average monthly download per
household is now 190GB, so 100GB for his family and 5 caravans seems
barely adequate.

Blimey. According to my ancient copy of NetworX I have used just
over 2Gb for the whole of October, but then I only use iPlayer
occasionally.
Old October 11th 19, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Andrew wrote:
On 04/10/2019 20:09, Java Jive wrote:
On 04/10/2019 19:13, Woody wrote:

A farmer friend in Zummerzet had the same issue with ADSL coming in at
about 2Mb downhill with a following wind on a good day. Fortunately he
has very strong 4G signals from all four providers (3G only from 3)
and is now pulling top side of 40Mb (even 10+Mb on 3 at 3G.) He is
chuffed to bits and his wife even moreso. He has done a deal that gets
him 100Gb per month for 40 from EE - he has a 5-van caravan site
which it serves as well.

According to the latest Ofcom figures, the average monthly download per
household is now 190GB, so 100GB for his family and 5 caravans seems
barely adequate.

Blimey. According to my ancient copy of NetworX I have used just
over 2Gb for the whole of October, but then I only use iPlayer
occasionally.

I probably upload more than I download, thanks to cloud backups. But,
these days, updating a software product often involves a multi-hundred MB
download.