WiFi inpenetrable walls require additional hardware.

Old October 11th 19, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Halmarack[_3_]

Default WiFi inpenetrable walls require additional hardware.

I currently have a Draytek router that gives 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.
It was transmitting well throughout most of my old cottage but now I'm
in a flat and the walls are very non-WiFi friendly.
To get Internet in my lounge and bedroom I've decided to run Ethernet
cable to each.

My question is how, at minimum expense, can I put something on the far
end of these cables that will provide the full range of WiFi offered
by the router at the other end?
If it works like that.

Mike
--

Mike

Old October 11th 19, 09:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 11/10/2019 14:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I currently have a Draytek router that gives 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.
It was transmitting well throughout most of my old cottage but now I'm
in a flat and the walls are very non-WiFi friendly.
To get Internet in my lounge and bedroom I've decided to run Ethernet
cable to each.

My question is how, at minimum expense, can I put something on the far
end of these cables that will provide the full range of WiFi offered
by the router at the other end?
If it works like that.

Do you absolutely HAVE to use wifi..? Plugging in with ethernet cable is
a lot faster. I have a 24-port switch and structured cabling throughout.
It took a while to put in, I will admit, but it works, is reliable and
is totally immune to people outside trying to sniff the wifi..!

The only time wifi gets switched on is to download books to my other
half's Kindle. Most of the time it's not even enabled.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 11th 19, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 11/10/2019 14:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My question is how, at minimum expense, can I put something on the far
end of these cables that will provide the full range of WiFi offered
by the router at the other end?

I'm with Ria on this: copper is /so/ much more reliable than radio
waves! Put a small switch on the end of your cable. But of course
there are lots of devices that won't do that, so you need a wireless
access point at the end of each cable.

I have a Unifi one at home and it's excellent (we also have them
throughout the community centre for which I volunteer and they work
flawlessly) but you do need to be prepared to steam up their controller
application on some network-attached computer to configure them. It
runs on Windows and Linux, is very straightforward to install and use,
and you don't need it in normal use, but I suppose it is something of a
nuisance.

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England
Old October 12th 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Halmarack[_3_]

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 21:14:33 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

[...]

I'm all for Ethernet. I want to run a cable to the bedroom, where
despite having a "powerful" router in a nearby room I currently have
to use mobile data to access my phone in bed.
So I want to put something on the end of this cable to the bedroom
that will send some WiFi to the phones in there.
It could be a laptop with a Hotspot but that kind of ties up the
laptop.
--

Mike

Old October 12th 19, 08:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Halmarack[_3_]

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 23:01:35 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Henry, I'll have a look the Unifi you mention.
--

Mike