Rural not-spot scheme

Old October 26th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Default Rural not-spot scheme

Tweed wrote:

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It's
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

If I had decent 4G I'd ditch my land line and BB connection. I'm sure many
folk have already. My daughter happily streams video to her TV using the 3
network on an unlimited data deal. Works well for her.

I mean, it's not as if the 3 Network ever goes down? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 26th 19, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It's got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don't have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

Yep, the Nokia 6310i is an excellent buggy whip. Meanwhile the rest of us
are driving cars. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 26th 19, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 00:52:06 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It's got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don't have a 5G capable handset on the market)

That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn't 5G capable.

Apple is seldom a technology pioneer. It's good at copying technology
proven by someone else and deploying it on a larger scale and higher price.

This is largely true - compare the iPhone 3 and Nokia N79 (which I bought).
Old October 26th 19, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 26/10/2019 11:33, Tim+ wrote:

Tweed wrote:

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It's
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

If I had decent 4G I'd ditch my land line and BB connection. I'm sure many
folk have already. My daughter happily streams video to her TV using the 3
network on an unlimited data deal. Works well for her.

+1 except for me it's Virgin Mobile.

Old October 26th 19, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 09:33:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It's got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don't have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

Almost certainly - O2 has claimed 98% coverage, whereas 3 deprecated roaming from their rather limited 3G network. If you only had an 1800MHz phone you would have trouble roaming in rural areas (mostly 900MHz and originally O2 and Voda only).

It just depends where you are what network and technology works best.
Where we are the only network that gives reliable coverage inside our
house is Three because they happen to have local 4G masts using 800Mhz.
We needed to get phones that were able to make ordinary phone calls
using 4G to tale advantage of this.

As for Wi-Fi calling many phones can, but Samsung bungled this, disabling the feature (and Wi-Fi and internet calling) from their S7 phones in mid 2017.

--
Chris Green
·

Old October 26th 19, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 26/10/2019 11:35, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It's got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don't have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

Yep, the Nokia 6310i is an excellent buggy whip. Meanwhile the rest of us
are driving cars. ;-)

They made an excellent car kit for it (CARK-91) which had full hands
free operation *and* a socket for an external aerial and also an
additional handset which you could use if you wished (while parked, of
course..!)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 26th 19, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 26/10/2019 11:40, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/10/2019 11:33, Tim+ wrote:

Tweed wrote:

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It's
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the
home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

If I had decent 4G I'd ditch my land line and BB connection.* I'm sure
many
folk have already. My daughter happily streams video to her TV using
the 3
network on an unlimited data deal. Works well for her.

+1 except for me it's Virgin Mobile.

Three is next to useless here. I have one of those free data SIM cards
in my laptop, which has 4G capability, but the signal here is barely
useable. Works ok in places when I'm away from home overnight, so it
means I don't have to rely on public or hotel wifi hotspots with their
relative lack of security.

--
Ria in Aberdeen