I need a new Router

Old October 30th 19, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default I need a new Router

Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have a:

Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+/Fibre
3G/4G LTE Broadband Router with USB Port

Which Amazon says I purchased on 10/10/2013.

The Wi Fi has started to become erratic over the last couple of weeks and
I have to re-boot it to get re-connected. The BT Fibre box plugs into it
and it provides wired and Wi Fi connections.

A replacement is 120 (cheaper then when I bought it), is it still a
reasonable choice or are there better options now? It has worked
flawlessly until this Wi Fi issue.

I thought I would wear out before my computer kit but looks like I may
have been wrong!

I've added the uk.telecom.broadband ng as you're likely to get good answers
from them.

I just use my plusnet provided router which works great, but i know the
vigor routers are well thought of.

Old October 30th 19, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Tim+[_2_]

Chris wrote:
Jeff Gaines wrote:

[...]

Consider the BT mesh system.. We have a three disc system but can get good
coverage everywhere in our 5 bedroom house with just two discs. Seamless
roaming between access points and best wifi connection we've ever had.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 30th 19, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
NY[_2_]

"Tim+" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Jeff Gaines wrote:

[...]

Our house is a long thin L shape - mostly bungalow but with two storeys at
one end. The router is at one end of the L because of phone line and
Ethernet connections to my study. We use Linksys Velop and we found we
needed more than the initial 3 that we bought to get nodes to communicate
with each other. But the nodes sometimes lose connection with the parent and
reboot themselves.

When Velop works, it's great for seamless wifi, but it keeps dropping out. I
think devices remain connected to their nearest node but the nodes lose
contact with each other.

I'm thinking of moving the parent node (which means laying Cat 5 around the
edge of the living room carpet) to get it a bit more central, and then I'll
try remaking the network with fewer nodes. Half the problem is that
node-to-node is only by 5 GHz (shorter range) but we need the network to be
2.4 GHz as well because some devices can't work with 5, which means the 2.4
GHz networks overlap and maybe clash on channels, even though the nodes are
just within the limit of 5 GHz communication.

Old October 30th 19, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:

[snip]

..

I'm thinking of moving the parent node (which means laying Cat 5 around
the edge of the living room carpet) to get it a bit more central, and
then I'll try remaking the network with fewer nodes. Half the problem is
that node-to-node is only by 5 GHz (shorter range) but we need the
network to be 2.4 GHz as well because some devices can't work with 5,
which means the 2.4 GHz networks overlap and maybe clash on channels,
even though the nodes are just within the limit of 5 GHz communication.

Much better to connect each wireless node back to the router via
Ethernet cable. That way you don't lose half the speed when wireless
traffic passes from one node to another.

To the OP - get a (or use the existing) router which is best to
implement your connection to ADSL or VDSL. Then choose the best
wireless access points to connect to the router, and site them in the
best locations for good wireless coverage. I know it will be messy; but
these days you can't use Ethernet cable only since so many devices don't
have a wired Ethernet port.

When you next redecorate, install some proper Ethernet cable!

--
Graham J
Old October 30th 19, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
NY[_2_]

"Graham J" wrote in message
I'm thinking of moving the parent node (which means laying Cat 5 around
the edge of the living room carpet) to get it a bit more central, and
then I'll try remaking the network with fewer nodes. Half the problem is
that node-to-node is only by 5 GHz (shorter range) but we need the
network to be 2.4 GHz as well because some devices can't work with 5,
which means the 2.4 GHz networks overlap and maybe clash on channels,
even though the nodes are just within the limit of 5 GHz communication.

Much better to connect each wireless node back to the router via Ethernet
cable. That way you don't lose half the speed when wireless traffic
passes from one node to another.

Yes, ideally I'd use Ethernet for the backhaul from each node to the parent
node (and hence the router), but wifi is useful for situations where running
Cat 5 is very difficult to pass the SWMBO test of ugly cables running down
from the loft to various rooms where nodes are. I was all set to run Cat 5
through the loft, to an access point in the upstairs part of the L opposite
to the router end of the house, when my wife read about Velop and other mesh
networks and we decided to go that way, so it wouldn't involve trying to
crawl through very restricted roof space while balancing on rafters which
were hidden under about 2 feet of glass wool insulation that hides the
rafters.

I'm at least trying to make sure each node only has one hop to the parent,
with node-to-node-to-parent being reserved for rare occasions when direct
connection fails.

I've been reasonably pleased with the speed of Velop - when it works. 2.4
GHz Windows laptop (ie it can't connect to a 5 GHz network) to node to
parent to Windows PC (via Ethernet) gets speeds of about 50 Mbps (compared
with 1 Gbps direct Ethernet from laptop to parent) which is a lot slower but
is good enough for video streaming (eg VLC reading a remote SMB share on
Windows "server" PC) and is only noticeably slow when doing a large file
copy. It's certainly faster than the 20 D/10 U Mbps internet connection so
it's not a rate-limiting step for browsing.

I'm not convinced that the laptop's wifi adaptor is working properly. Even
when I was right next to the Plusnet router (when it had wifi enabled and
before we got Velop) the laptop would only report a connection speed of
about 60 Mbps at best, for a router that was capable of 400 Mbps. I'll have
to repeat with my wife's much newer laptop that can connect to 5 GHz as well
as 2.4 GHz.

Old November 2nd 19, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Vir Campestris

On 30/10/2019 10:15, Graham J wrote:
To the OP - get a (or use the existing) router which is best to
implement your connection to ADSL or VDSL.* Then choose the best
wireless access points to connect to the router, and site them in the
best locations for good wireless coverage.* I know it will be messy; but
these days you can't use Ethernet cable only since so many devices don't
have a wired Ethernet port.

Looking upt-hread he seems to be one of we happy few who actually have
fibre, not fibre to up the road somewhere.

So there is no ADSL of VDSL involved. Which would explain the two boxes.

Andy
Old November 3rd 19, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jeff Gaines

On 02/11/2019 in message Vir Campestris wrote:

On 30/10/2019 10:15, Graham J wrote:
To the OP - get a (or use the existing) router which is best to implement
your connection to ADSL or VDSL.* Then choose the best wireless access
points to connect to the router, and site them in the best locations for
good wireless coverage.* I know it will be messy; but these days you
can't use Ethernet cable only since so many devices don't have a wired
Ethernet port.

Looking upt-hread he seems to be one of we happy few who actually have
fibre, not fibre to up the road somewhere.

So there is no ADSL of VDSL involved. Which would explain the two boxes.

Andy

Sorry I've neglected this, it worked after a reboot so I put it on the
back burner.

I have FTTC and am quite close to said cabinet so I get a fairly constant
70 Mb/s. There is a BT modem that feeds in to the Billion router. I don't
think I can plug the 'phone line in to this particular router but Graham's
suggestion of separating the router from the WAP makes sense.

Will do some more research.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap