Openreach faultfinding gobledegook

Old November 4th 19, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Openreach faultfinding gobledegook

Mark Carver wrote:
On 02/11/2019 15:47, Graham J wrote:

But in this case I only heard of the visit after the event - hence my
initial question to the group.* Nobody has come forward with anything
very useful yet ...

*** This reminds me of a problem my in laws had about 20 years ago.
Their phone line went dead, man from BT came out
and after playing around with his test gear for half an hour declared
there was an underground cable fault, and a digging team was required.

Then a couple of days later, another chap turned up, and within seconds
discovered the jelly-bean connectors in the junction box on the front of
the house
had corroded, changed them, and hey presto

Exactly so.

This line serves an office building at a farm. My monitoring shows
frequent disconnections over Friday and through to 10am Saturday - this
during a period of heavy rain, so I'm tempted to believe the reason is
water in the cable somewhere, either underground or at a junction box.

Since my initial post another Openreach technician was seen "tinkering"
with wires in the area on Saturday morning, and from 10am the internet
connection has remained up - though still with a very poor sync speed
compared to normal.

BUT - the domestic line that serves the farm house - a building some 50
metres away from the office - that stopped working completely (no voice,
no internet) at almost exactly the same time as the office line became
more stable. This can't be coincidence!

Both lines are provided (for rental and voice) through the local farming
supply company, so hopefully they will get Openreach out ... Internet
is provided by Zen, so once the voice problems are resolved if
connection speeds are still poor then I'm sure Zen will be able to help.

--
Graham J
Old November 4th 19, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 01/11/2019 13:32, Graham J wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/11/2019 12:16, Graham J wrote:
A non-technical friend has been advised by an Openreach technician
that the reason for her poor phone line quality (which affects the
speed and reliability of her internet connection) is a fault 70
metres from the house.* The words of the technician we

"The line measures 45 when it should be 5"

Can anybody explain what these numbers mean, please?

Attenuation in dB ?

Who knows ?* Does it matter, as long as it gets fixed ?

It matters because in my experience the Openreach technicians sometimes
make mistakes, and it pays to ask for more details in order to challenge
their conclusions.* Otherwise the faultfinding process can take many
weeks and incur multiple technician visits.

If it is a hard fault that shows up on TDR then they will have a pretty
good fix on it probably within 3m on the ground. More accurately along
the length of the cable but you can never be quite sure where it runs.

Sometimes the tester pulse can temporarily heal the fault for a while
which can be annoying and require them to wait for it to fail again.

At present the fault as described will require a digging crew to
investigate, which can take two weeks.* It would be a pity if the
diagnosis were faulty and the digging crew are called out unnecessarily.

They are usually not bad at getting the right spot.

I have had my roadside daffodils dug up more than once by BT OpenReach
digging for the cable. In both instances they were almost spot on with
the position of the cable fault. Unfortunately disturbing these old
cables can create new faults. They wouldn't go digging though unless
there were no spare line pairs on the affected cable. Normal procedure
is to swap onto a known clean line pair (or DACS two grannies) and use
the freed good line for ADSL service. Dud lines get marked as such.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown