Openreach faultfinding gobledegook

Old November 1st 19, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Openreach faultfinding gobledegook

A non-technical friend has been advised by an Openreach technician that
the reason for her poor phone line quality (which affects the speed and
reliability of her internet connection) is a fault 70 metres from the
house. The words of the technician we

"The line measures 45 when it should be 5"

Can anybody explain what these numbers mean, please?

--
Graham J
Old November 1st 19, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 01/11/2019 12:16, Graham J wrote:
A non-technical friend has been advised by an Openreach technician
that the reason for her poor phone line quality (which affects the
speed and reliability of her internet connection) is a fault 70 metres
from the house.* The words of the technician we

"The line measures 45 when it should be 5"

Can anybody explain what these numbers mean, please?

Attenuation in dB ?

Who knows ?* Does it matter, as long as it gets fixed ?
Old November 1st 19, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/11/2019 12:16, Graham J wrote:
A non-technical friend has been advised by an Openreach technician
that the reason for her poor phone line quality (which affects the
speed and reliability of her internet connection) is a fault 70 metres
from the house.* The words of the technician we

"The line measures 45 when it should be 5"

Can anybody explain what these numbers mean, please?

Attenuation in dB ?

Who knows ?* Does it matter, as long as it gets fixed ?

It matters because in my experience the Openreach technicians sometimes
make mistakes, and it pays to ask for more details in order to challenge
their conclusions. Otherwise the faultfinding process can take many
weeks and incur multiple technician visits.

At present the fault as described will require a digging crew to
investigate, which can take two weeks. It would be a pity if the
diagnosis were faulty and the digging crew are called out unnecessarily.

--
Graham J
Old November 1st 19, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 01 Nov 2019 13:32:09 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily. I had a similar conversation a while ago (30 metres in
my case).

Top of the nearest pole. Some Kelly had screwed a cover down on top of
our dropwire. No digging needed (except perhaps to bury the Kelly).
Old November 1st 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Bob Eager wrote:

[snip]

Not necessarily. I had a similar conversation a while ago (30 metres in
my case).

Top of the nearest pole. Some Kelly had screwed a cover down on top of
our dropwire. No digging needed (except perhaps to bury the Kelly).

Exactly my point! Nobody in this instance has independently established
that at the 70 metre distance the cable is actually underground.

It's on a par with:

"I don't know what the problem is so I will off-load it to somebody else."

"I've worked on this problem now for an hour and must stop to go to my
next job." Followed by the next technician two weeks later who spends
the first 55 minutes of his allotted hour in repeating the tests carried
out by the first technician - including driving to the exchange and
back. It beats me why they don't park one technician in the exchange to
service the requirements of the (possibly several) technician(s) at
(the) customer site(s) ...

This second excuse I've had on three consecutive occasions for the same
phone/broadband fault. Ultimately three vans with 4 technicians
arrived, saying "we're staying here until we've fixed it." Which they
did in about 30 minutes by swapping the faulty pair out and using a good
spare - thereby concealing the problem for a future technician to deal
with on behalf of another poor customer!

--
Graham J
Old November 1st 19, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 1 November 2019 15:27:24 UTC, Graham J wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

[snip]

Not necessarily. I had a similar conversation a while ago (30 metres in
my case).

Top of the nearest pole. Some Kelly had screwed a cover down on top of
our dropwire. No digging needed (except perhaps to bury the Kelly).

Exactly my point! Nobody in this instance has independently established
that at the 70 metre distance the cable is actually underground.

No it is wherever it goes. The short or open end is found by time domain reflectometry.

Old November 2nd 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 01/11/2019 13:32, Graham J wrote:

It matters because in my experience the Openreach technicians
sometimes make mistakes, and it pays to ask for more details in order
to challenge their conclusions.* Otherwise the faultfinding process
can take many weeks and incur multiple technician visits.

Well, you need to be present when they visit then, and challenge them
face to face. You can't 'remote control' these sort of things , or
retrospectively question.
Old November 2nd 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/11/2019 13:32, Graham J wrote:

It matters because in my experience the Openreach technicians
sometimes make mistakes, and it pays to ask for more details in order
to challenge their conclusions.* Otherwise the faultfinding process
can take many weeks and incur multiple technician visits.

Well, you need to be present when they visit then, and challenge them
face to face. You can't 'remote control' these sort of things , or
retrospectively question.

Very true.

But in this case I only heard of the visit after the event - hence my
initial question to the group. Nobody has come forward with anything
very useful yet ...

--
Graham J
Old November 4th 19, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 02/11/2019 15:47, Graham J wrote:

But in this case I only heard of the visit after the event - hence my
initial question to the group.* Nobody has come forward with anything
very useful yet ...

*** This reminds me of a problem my in laws had about 20 years ago.
Their phone line went dead, man from BT came out
and after playing around with his test gear for half an hour declared
there was an underground cable fault, and a digging team was required.

Then a couple of days later, another chap turned up, and within seconds
discovered the jelly-bean connectors in the junction box on the front of
the house
had corroded, changed them, and hey presto
Old November 4th 19, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 04/11/2019 in message Mark Carver
wrote:

Then a couple of days later, another chap turned up, and within seconds
discovered the jelly-bean connectors in the junction box on the front of
the house
had corroded, changed them, and hey presto

It's a common problem round here where the lines were put in about 40
years ago. I had a speed issue and Openreach tracked the line from the
exchange to the house and discovered my blue beanies were corroded. He
replaced them and it doubled my speed :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.