Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

Old November 8th 19, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

In uk.telecom.broadband Bev wrote:
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 14:43:48 +0000, Theo wrote:

I think FTTP gets used when there isn't a suitable FTTC solution. We
could have 'up to' 2Mbps ADSL on copper (3.5km from the exchange by
crow), and evidently this wasn't really good enough. So FTTP has been
strung along the same poles, providing (tiers up to) a gigabit service.

Excuse my butting in here... do you have FTTP installed to your own home
and, if so, what was the process that was followed please?

FTTP was installed when we moved in, presumably by previous occupants.

There are two cables coming from the pole:
- a regular copper line, which provides the phone services
- a fibre

The fibre is hooked up to an Openreach-branded Huawei HG612 ONT (FTTP
modem). The modem is powered from a mains socket and there's a separate
battery backup box with 4 AA NiMH cells (BYD branded). This dates the
install to a few years old since they don't provide these boxes any more.

The FTTP modem provides ethernet to the ISP's router (eg BT HomeHub), which
I think carries PPPoE. There are two analogue phone sockets on the ONT, but
we don't use these. In a local new-build there's the same box but phones
plugged in - I assume there is no copper line installed.

I ask as it is anticipated that we should be getting it also within the
next few months (once a number of trees have been cut back to permit the
fibre to be strung along the electricity poles) but reading the various
reports on the internet it seems that installation methods have changed
somewhat over time. The ideal solution, for me, would be to carry the
fibre optic cable straight through the gable wall into the loft and then
down through the ceiling into the study. This would follow the route of
the existing telephone line.

Various reports suggest that either:
this is indeed possible or
that it is not and it has to terminate at a box on the outside

Our cable route is slightly different:
- the copper line comes on a dropwire from the pole into the loft, where
there's a master socket lying on the fibreglass, from whence it's split off
into various rooms' phone sockets.
- the fibre meets the house at the same point, but runs down the wall to
about 18" off the ground, when there's a small grey box and it goes through
the wall. The ONT is mounted on the other side of the wall (next to a power
socket).

I suspect the reason for doing it this way is they don't want to joint the
fibre, as the ONT is the boundary of the Openreach network. If you were
willing to mount the ONT in the loft (providing it with power, and onward
ethernet and phone cables) that might work. You'd still have your router
in the study on the end of the ethernet.

https://superuser.com/questions/1311...our-fttp-point
(last answer) suggests a fibre coupler and patch cord have been used to
extend the Openreach fibre and allow moving the ONT. This would be
'unofficial' - you'd probably have to move it back for service callouts.

Someone's recent experience would be gratefully received so that I can
begin to make my own preparations for the install.

If you can install a handy mains socket where the ONT might go in the loft,
you might persuade them of this plan.

I don't know what current install practice is.

Theo

Old November 9th 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On 08 Nov 2019 14:43:48 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband AnthonyL wrote:
Move on to about 4 years ago and the struggling ADSL was still the
best on offer from BT. Patchy 3g was around but INEEDBROADBAND came
in with a 10-20Mbps wireless. Quite expensive but there were a number
of small businesses and affluent home owners around. So what happens
shortly afterwards, no not even FTTC but FTTP. I can't even get that
in a suburb on the edge of the city!! My friends don't know what to
do with the speed ~100Mbps.

So the moral seems to be - force BT's hand by showing willing
elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced similar?

I think FTTP gets used when there isn't a suitable FTTC solution. We could
have 'up to' 2Mbps ADSL on copper (3.5km from the exchange by crow), and
evidently this wasn't really good enough. So FTTP has been strung along the
same poles, providing (tiers up to) a gigabit service.

Meanwhile the villages around are on ~30Mbps FTTC, presumably because that was
cheaper and quicker for Openreach to deploy. The 'superfast broadband' box
has now been ticked, so no need to provide them with a faster service.

The village/hamlet is basically on a single dead end street at the
start of which are the existing BT cabinets. Nothing is more than a
mile away and the cabinets themselves are about 5km (cable route) from
the exchange. The general expectation was FTTC and I imagine most
would be delighted with 20Mbps-30Mbps. Getting FTTP was somewhat a
surprise and as an outsider I'm bemused.

The households are fed from overhead as well even if the main feeds
are underground.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Old November 9th 19, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris

On 07/11/2019 19:52, Tweed wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On 07/11/2019 18:10, Tweed wrote:

What's wrong with Vodafone's unlimited plans? 23/month speed capped at
2Mbit/second, 26/month capped at 10Mbit/sec, 30/month no speed capping.
You can get a “Gigacube” from them, which is a consumer friendly router,
though admittedly it is a bit expensive. It's a rebadged Chinese product,
so doubtless you can get it elsewhere. Contract dearer then Three, but not
unreasonable if you can get Vodafone but not Three.

I didn't find anything meeting the criteria I gave in the open letter
when I searched the Vodaphone site a month or so ago, and the only
current plan less than 25 pcm is speed capped at roughly the speed we
already get for less via landlines around here. Also, it probably
didn't help that the site locked up my browser so I had to reload it
disallowing JavaScript, but today it seems to be working alright.

You said around 25. 26 is near enough, and 10 Mbit/sec is not that bad.
Vodafone's unlimited offering has been around since about September.

There's also an unlimited deal with IDmobile (Three network) for 25pm
https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

Or Smarty (also Three) for 22pm
https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited

Or Voxi (Vodaphone) for 30pm
https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans

All are 30 day contracts so can ditch them if you don't like the service.
Old November 10th 19, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

In uk.telecom.broadband AnthonyL wrote:
The village/hamlet is basically on a single dead end street at the
start of which are the existing BT cabinets. Nothing is more than a
mile away and the cabinets themselves are about 5km (cable route) from
the exchange. The general expectation was FTTC and I imagine most
would be delighted with 20Mbps-30Mbps. Getting FTTP was somewhat a
surprise and as an outsider I'm bemused.

The households are fed from overhead as well even if the main feeds
are underground.

If the copper is already poled, and there's only 60 premises, I could see
that stacking up for FTTP. Cheaper than having to sort out a power feed to
the cabinets and install a FTTC node to serve such a small number of
premises. They need to string fibre as far as the cabinet anyway.

I think our copper is an exchange-only line (the exchange being 3.5km down
an A road) which would make it cheaper to install FTTP than a local cabinet.

Theo
Old December 14th 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier in the UK,
provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
*** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
*** • Cost not more than around 25pm;

Three currently offering unlimited calls/texts/data for 18/m

*** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after a
short period of time;

but it's only an xmas offer

Old December 14th 19, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 14/12/2019 07:57, Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier in the UK,
provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
**** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
**** • Cost not more than around 25pm;

Three currently offering unlimited calls/texts/data for 18/m

**** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after
a short period of time;

but it's only an xmas offer

At the time I started the thread, Three were the only people already
offering something within the criteria, so I didn't bother to send them
the letter. Unfortunately, around here Three have the worst coverage,
some of it being only 3G, but in the thread someone pointed out that
Vodafone began offering a suitable package around September, and I think
this has already helped at least one local resident to whom I passed
this information.

Rather as I expected, every reply to my open letter that I received was
bland and rather inconsequential, but at least I tried, and copies went
to Ofcom, MP, and MSPs, so that 'officialdom' have been notified of the
need.

The other day, I saw a Highland Wireless van outside two new-build
houses, and from the road can now see data dishes on the properties, so
he's got at least two new customers to offset against his outlay in
setting up the system, but I fancy he'll need more. It's a fine day, so
I might go for a walk around later and count dishes!
Old December 14th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 14 December 2019 07:57:13 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier in the UK,
provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
*** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
*** • Cost not more than around 25pm;

Three currently offering unlimited calls/texts/data for 18/m

*** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after a
short period of time;

but it's only an xmas offer

Yes but the long term offer was 20 per month after six months at 10. I advised a business friend to get one to replace poor and expensive DSL.

Old January 2nd 20, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
Cost not more than around 25pm;

https://smarty.co.uk/plans

unlimited=20, 50GB=15, 30GB=10
I think they're a Three MVNO.
Old January 2nd 20, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_3_]

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 11:54:14 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
Cost not more than around 25pm;

https://smarty.co.uk/plans

unlimited=20, 50GB=15, 30GB=10
I think they're a Three MVNO.

Yes, they are a 3 MVNO.
Not far off dial up speeds in highly populated areas
like London.
I looked into ditching my Virgin cable internet and
replacing it with an unlimited 3 mobile sim, so I
tested the speed with a payg sim. Just about usable in
the day time, but dropping off dramatically in the
evening when most people are online. I'm now
considering a Vodafone unlimited sim. I've not tested
it yet with a payg sim. It's more expensive, but with
cashback it's more reasonable.
Cashback, though, is not guaranteed.