Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

Old January 6th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

On 07/11/2019 11:52, Java Jive wrote:
FWIW, I have recently sent the following open letter to all UK mobile
suppliers except Three (because they already have a suitable plan
available).* If this or similar is an issue for others here, as it might
well be, feel free to adapt the text of the following as a basis for
your own complaint* -* remember to copy Ofcom and your local national
and regional representatives:

Copy: Ofcom******* Mobile SIM Plans - Data**** 4 November, 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

Although unelected, I represent particularly some 65 households [snip]
in Sutherland, Scotland.* However more generally, I know that the
problem I am addressing is of vital concern to rural households
throughout the entire UK.

Our problem is that, although houses nearest to the exchange at last can
get FTTC, for the rest land-line broadband service is terrible with no
prospect of improvement.* The farthest households out are 12kms from the
exchange and can not get ADSL at all, while those too far out for FTTC
but able to get ADSL, get maximum speeds of only around 1.5-2 Mbps.
Further, despite many complaints, the infrastructure suffers from
terminal neglect* -* major joins in the cables, where ditch clearance or
verge trimming have cut them, remain on the surface without ever being
re-buried, leaving them vulnerable to water penetration and further
physical damage.* Thus the service is not just slow but also unreliable.

However, 4G has arrived recently, and, although coverage is patchy,
many, including myself, have now dispensed with our land-lines
altogether and only have a mobile service.* I now get speeds of around
20Mbps and unlimited usage for less than I was originally paying for my
land-line broadband!* However, although I personally am on a very good
deal from my supplier because I chanced upon it during the month it was
being offered, looking over the plans available from mobile operators
generally, they do not encourage rural householders to change to a
mobile-only service.* In particular, few offer realistic charges for the
usage that a land-line would normally provide.* I believe monthly
broadband usage in the UK is currently around 190GB/month, and most
mobile data deals that would allow that sort of usage, let alone
unlimited, are prohibitively expensive.

Another problem is the lack of mobile/4G routers available. Mine is a BT
Home Hub 5a, which I have hacked with an OpenWRT build, with a 4G mobile
dongle in the USB socket, but obviously this is an option only for the
technically knowledgeable, not for the average householder!

On behalf all UK rural users generally and Shinness households
particularly, I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier
in the UK, provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
*** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
*** • Cost not more than around 25pm;
*** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after a
short period of time;
*** • Not be price-hiked on expiration of contract, forcing the
customer to renegotiate annually;
*** • Only be subject to yearly increases by the rate of inflation;
*** • Optionally supply a suitable router at extra cost, with a choice
either to pay for it either fully up front or else spread over the first
year of contract, the latter automatically reverting to a SIM-only
contract once the router has been paid for.

This is pretty much the deal that I have from my current supplier, and I
see no reason why something similar shouldn't be more generally
available on a permanent basis across all mobile suppliers.

Maybe because they couldn't provide it for that price and if they tried
to they'd lose loads of their existing customers because their networks
would become excessively congested?

Have you ever tried using 4G in a low income area where tethering their
mobiles is the only way people can afford to get internet access?

I know areas round here where you have to wait until the middle of the
night if you want much more than 1Mb/s over 4G.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).