Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

Old November 10th 19, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Koopa

Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On 09/11/2019 10:42, David wrote:
I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from 160
Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.

I've got 240Mb/sec here...

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/...9-084282a65fae
Old November 10th 19, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Recliner[_4_]

Koopa wrote:
On 09/11/2019 10:42, David wrote:
I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from 160
Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.

I've got 240Mb/sec here...

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/...9-084282a65fae

But an achingly slow 49.6 Mbps upload…

This is what I get over wifi from an iPad (it's obviously faster on a wired
connection):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3542347780

Old November 10th 19, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Koopa

On 10/11/2019 11:44, Recliner wrote:
This is what I get over wifi from an iPad (it's obviously faster on a wired
connection):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3542347780

I get my full connection speed over WiFi with one of these...

NETGEAR A7000-100PES Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter (USB 3.0, Dual
Band Wi-Fi, Magnetic Cradle Included)

Router about 25ft away through a wall.
Old November 10th 19, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Recliner[_4_]

Koopa wrote:
On 10/11/2019 11:44, Recliner wrote:
This is what I get over wifi from an iPad (it's obviously faster on a wired
connection):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3542347780

I get my full connection speed over WiFi with one of these...

NETGEAR A7000-100PES Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter (USB 3.0, Dual
Band Wi-Fi, Magnetic Cradle Included)

Router about 25ft away through a wall.

How well does that work with an iPad?

Old November 10th 19, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Koopa

On 10/11/2019 12:10, Recliner wrote

How well does that work with an iPad?

I've got that latest iPad 6th gen 9.7" screen which supports Wireless AC
and I get full speed on that too.
Old November 10th 19, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Recliner[_4_]

Koopa wrote:
On 10/11/2019 12:10, Recliner wrote

How well does that work with an iPad?

I've got that latest iPad 6th gen 9.7" screen which supports Wireless AC
and I get full speed on that too.

How do you connect it to the iPad?

Old November 10th 19, 01:39 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Koopa

Recliner wrote:
Koopa wrote:
On 10/11/2019 12:10, Recliner wrote

How do you connect it to the iPad?

I don't, the Netgear adapter is for my PC and I use the built in WiFi on
the iPad. Both give me full speed.

Old November 10th 19, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jaimie Vandenbergh

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 17, 2019.

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 10:57:56 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham
wrote:

In article ,

Or popping it in a cupboard in case your new one explodes,
which is what I'd suggest!

I think you'll find that each VM account is tied to the WAN side MAC
address of the modem in the SH. If you connect the old one, it will
not work unless you can find a way to fake the MAC address.

They'll reassign it to the old one if you give them a ring. It'll only
take an hour on the phone to support and three escalations until you
find someone who understands the idea.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Sufficiently Advanced Technology"
Old November 10th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_4_]

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 19:37:23 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

On 9 Nov 2019 16:18:47 GMT, David wrote:

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:42:24 +0000, David wrote:

I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH3.
snip

VM don't want the original SH back.

I can see that I could use it as a WiFi router (as I do with a TP-Link
cable router), by turning off DHCP and just plugging it into an
Ethernet port.

However it would be nice to make more use of it if possible.

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can
reflash the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?

I've cut the bit about the link speed out in the vain hope that someone
might be able to answer the question.

I don't believe it's possible - Virgin locked down their hardware hard,
and it's only an el-cheapo Netgear WGR614 under that lock (currently on
ebay for £8 bin) so no-one ever bothered to crack it. You're stuck with
using it as an additional wifi network and/or a switch. Or popping it in
a cupboard in case your new one explodes, which is what I'd suggest!

Cheers - Jaimie

:-) Thanks for the only on-topic response :-)

Even though it wasn't the news I was hoping for.

Cheers

Dave R

Old November 10th 19, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David WE Roberts[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 10:57:56 +0000, Bob Latham wrote:

In article ,

Or popping it in a cupboard in case your new one explodes,
which is what I'd suggest!

I think you'll find that each VM account is tied to the WAN side MAC
address of the modem in the SH. If you connect the old one, it will not
work unless you can find a way to fake the MAC address.

Bob.

However I'm not trying to use it as a modem. I have the SH3 for that.

I'm wanting to reuse it as an AP.

Cheers

Dave R

--
W7 64 bit HTPC Intel Core i5 2500k Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3