Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

Old November 12th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pancho

Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On 10/11/2019 11:10, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 19:37:23 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
wrote:

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can
reflash the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't believe it's possible - Virgin locked down their hardware hard,
and it's only an el-cheapo Netgear WGR614 under that lock (currently on
ebay for 8 bin) so no-one ever bothered to crack it. You're stuck with
using it as an additional wifi network and/or a switch. Or popping it in
a cupboard in case your new one explodes, which is what I'd suggest!

Supposing your new one did explode, you wouldn't even be able to use
the old one without calling VM and getting them to re-register it on
your account, which they wouldn't be able to do if its MAC address had
by then been removed from their system, which is usually what happens.
They would almost certainly just send you an even newer one.

An old VM hub couldn't be used anywhere else, and wouldn't even make a
very good doorstop, so it might as well go in the bin.

I think having a way to switch your lan to use 4G (or 5G) wireless is
the best backup strategy, if available in your location.

That's what I had to do when VM cut me off, presumably maliciously.

In the long run I would advise using a more reputable company than VM,
even if it offers a seemingly slower speed.