A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 9th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from 160
Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.

VM don't want the original SH back.

I can see that I could use it as a WiFi router (as I do with a TP-Link
cable router), by turning off DHCP and just plugging it into an Ethernet
port.

However it would be nice to make more use of it if possible.

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can reflash
the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers



Dave R


--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
  #2  
Old November 9th 19, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:54:11 +0000, Bob Latham wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from
160 Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.


Not having a go honestly but would you please enlighten me why do you
need more than 160Mb/sec please? What the heck do you do with it?

Do you have a house full of teenagers or something?

I had 50 Mb from Virgin for ages and they 'upgraded' me to 100Mb, no
idea why except to try to charge me more. I do surfing, email, netflix
and prime video. Never got near 50Mb.

Why does anyone need more than 100Mb unless you're a school/business?


Bob.


I started out with much less but kept on getting "free upgrades" until my
package was 200 Mb/sec.

I think that I started with about 50 Mb/sec when I first signed up at this
location. Could even have been 10 Mb/sec.

At the time I used to download a lot of ISO files (Linux tinkering mainly,
but also other software installs and utilities such as stand alone virus
checkers) so I found it good to be as fast as possible.

I don't often use the full bandwidth, even with a couple of streaming TVs,
but when I dropped back briefly (long story) to 100 Mb/sec there was a
noticeable difference.

I do have a Gb wired LAN so I can fully utilise the bandwidth as long as
the rest of the chain can support it.

My latest laptop seems to be able to use it when downloading software etc.
because the download and install seems much quicker (could be the M.2 SSD
as well, of course).

It is pernicious, the perception of extra speed.
Like having a car which is capable of doing 140 mph but limited to 70 mph
on the roads.

I'm not sure that I'd pay for Gigabit fibre.
As you say, what would I do with all that speed?
Where would I find a server which can provide 1 Gb/sec to all the
customers/end users?

Microsoft certainly don't provide any accessible to us mere mortals.
Might time downloading a Linux ISO or two.


Cheers



Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
  #3  
Old November 9th 19, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Steve Hough
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

It happens that Bob Latham formulated :
In article ,
David wrote:

I have finally swapped over from my original
SH to a SH£, to go from 160 Mb/sec to 200
Mb/sec.


Not having a go honestly but would you please
enlighten me why do you need more than
160Mb/sec please? What the heck do you do with
it?

Do you have a house full of teenagers or
something?

I had 50 Mb from Virgin for ages and they
'upgraded' me to 100Mb, no idea why except to
try to charge me more. I do surfing, email,
netflix and prime video. Never got near 50Mb.

Why does anyone need more than 100Mb unless
you're a school/business?


Bob.


I'll get rid of my 200 meg connection then..
  #4  
Old November 9th 19, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:42:24 +0000, David wrote:

I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH3.
snip

VM don't want the original SH back.

I can see that I could use it as a WiFi router (as I do with a TP-Link
cable router), by turning off DHCP and just plugging it into an Ethernet
port.

However it would be nice to make more use of it if possible.

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can
reflash the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?


I've cut the bit about the link speed out in the vain hope that someone
might be able to answer the question.

Cheers



Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
  #5  
Old November 9th 19, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Woody
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 815
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On Sat 09/11/2019 12:38, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:


I started out with much less but kept on getting "free upgrades"
until my package was 200 Mb/sec.


Yes, Virgin have offered me a "free" upgrade to 200Mb but I'm
sceptical about the free. I asked to go back to 50Mb they refused and
I suspect it is their policy to make people think they need hundreds
of Mb because that will make them stay and pay for it. The argument
being yes, you pay a bit more but you can't get the speed elsewhere.

I just definitely don't need the speed and I don't think most people
do. The one reason I use VM isn't speed, it is that I've found them
reliable which virgin never seem to push for some odd reason. It's
always speed which few need.

I think that I started with about 50 Mb/sec when I first signed up
at this location. Could even have been 10 Mb/sec.


At the time I used to download a lot of ISO files (Linux tinkering
mainly, but also other software installs and utilities such as
stand alone virus checkers) so I found it good to be as fast as
possible.


From time to time I purchase hi-res flac music files and they are
huge and the speed is useful for 10 minutes once in a blue moon. (I
don't recommend anyone else buys hi-res files though, the difference
is not much over CD to be honest.)

I don't often use the full bandwidth, even with a couple of
streaming TVs,


Yes, I agree.

but when I dropped back briefly (long story) to 100 Mb/sec there
was a noticeable difference.


Anything more than taking a bit longer to get large files?

I do have a Gb wired LAN so I can fully utilise the bandwidth as
long as the rest of the chain can support it.


Yes, same here.

My latest laptop seems to be able to use it when downloading
software etc. because the download and install seems much quicker
(could be the M.2 SSD as well, of course).


It is pernicious, the perception of extra speed. Like having a car
which is capable of doing 140 mph but limited to 70 mph on the
roads.


If it gives you pleasure that's fine I'm glad you enjoy it.

I'm not sure that I'd pay for Gigabit fibre. As you say, what would
I do with all that speed? Where would I find a server which can
provide 1 Gb/sec to all the customers/end users?


Indeed.


Microsoft certainly don't provide any accessible to us mere mortals.
Might time downloading a Linux ISO or two.



If you want to go back to 50Mbps then ring and ask for Retentions. Tell
them that you want to go back to 50 and they will do it almost
immediately albeit they may argue because the saving is only about £4
per month!

Do remember that from next February OfCom require all ISPs to make ALL
speeds etc available to every customer, new or existing. It was because
I made it clear that I knew about this happening that I suspect they
just complied, period.

I entirely agree with the other comment that VM don't push the
reliability aspect. I have been on VM broadband (then NTL) since 2001
and 2Mbps (I was a beta tester on dial-up before that) and have only had
three outages in all that time. One was a Boxing Day where everything
froze, one was when a drunk demolished the main feed streetcab at the
top of our road (phone back on in half day, broadband 3 days) and one
other that escapes me at the moment but it was only a matter of hours.

They also have the advantage that they don't block access to anything -
and VoIP over VM is brilliant. Dependent upon time of day though you can
get a bit of buffering in the early-mid evening and at weekends; like
most ISPs I would guess, downloading at 7 in the morning is like
lightning - but they don't tell you about any of that either.

I suspect that come February when people find out about being able to go
down-speed and get it cheaper no matter who their ISP is then we might
start to see other advantages being toted?

Oh, and whilst we do have a VM landline to get the cheaper package we
don't use it. I don't understand why their call charges are so high, and
of course you cannot use alternative call routers through their system
as you can with BT.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #6  
Old November 9th 19, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jaimie Vandenbergh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On 9 Nov 2019 16:18:47 GMT, David wrote:

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 10:42:24 +0000, David wrote:

I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH3.
snip

VM don't want the original SH back.

I can see that I could use it as a WiFi router (as I do with a TP-Link
cable router), by turning off DHCP and just plugging it into an Ethernet
port.

However it would be nice to make more use of it if possible.

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can
reflash the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?


I've cut the bit about the link speed out in the vain hope that someone
might be able to answer the question.


I don't believe it's possible - Virgin locked down their hardware hard,
and it's only an el-cheapo Netgear WGR614 under that lock (currently on
ebay for £8 bin) so no-one ever bothered to crack it. You're stuck with
using it as an additional wifi network and/or a switch. Or popping it in
a cupboard in case your new one explodes, which is what I'd suggest!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire,c18
  #7  
Old November 10th 19, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 625
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 19:37:23 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
wrote:

So far I haven't been able to track down any evidence that you can
reflash the router with something like DD-WRT.

Anyone know if this is possible?


I don't believe it's possible - Virgin locked down their hardware hard,
and it's only an el-cheapo Netgear WGR614 under that lock (currently on
ebay for £8 bin) so no-one ever bothered to crack it. You're stuck with
using it as an additional wifi network and/or a switch. Or popping it in
a cupboard in case your new one explodes, which is what I'd suggest!


Supposing your new one did explode, you wouldn't even be able to use
the old one without calling VM and getting them to re-register it on
your account, which they wouldn't be able to do if its MAC address had
by then been removed from their system, which is usually what happens.
They would almost certainly just send you an even newer one.

An old VM hub couldn't be used anywhere else, and wouldn't even make a
very good doorstop, so it might as well go in the bin.

Rod.
  #8  
Old November 10th 19, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Koopa
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On 09/11/2019 10:42, David wrote:
I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from 160
Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.



I've got 240Mb/sec here...

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/...9-084282a65fae
  #9  
Old November 10th 19, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Recliner[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

Koopa wrote:
On 09/11/2019 10:42, David wrote:
I have finally swapped over from my original SH to a SH£, to go from 160
Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec.



I've got 240Mb/sec here...

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/...9-084282a65fae


But an achingly slow 49.6 Mbps upload…

This is what I get over wifi from an iPad (it's obviously faster on a wired
connection):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3542347780

  #10  
Old November 10th 19, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Koopa
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Original SH - alternative firmware? -X-post

On 10/11/2019 11:44, Recliner wrote:
This is what I get over wifi from an iPad (it's obviously faster on a wired
connection):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3542347780


I get my full connection speed over WiFi with one of these...

NETGEAR A7000-100PES Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter (USB 3.0, Dual
Band Wi-Fi, Magnetic Cradle Included)

Router about 25ft away through a wall.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
original Cisco,GBIC/SFP,WIC,cables etc... helenzhou uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 July 3rd 08 10:41 AM
resetting Sipura 2100 to factory original state Paul Hayes uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 June 22nd 06 10:28 AM
F2S ... an alternative to Plusnet ComPCs uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 September 25th 05 04:38 PM
Mailwasher Pro Alternative R.Daneel Olivaw uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 September 15th 05 12:30 PM
Cisco alternative Bob uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 June 2nd 05 12:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.