Broadband in Japan

Old November 15th 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

Default Broadband in Japan

On 15/11/2019 14:57, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , MB wrote:
Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Of course nowhere near 8-10% of UK premises are *connected* to full
fibre. That figure is for "access" to full fibre, i.e. they could run
fibre from the pole if you ordered it.

Most houses built from the 60's onwards had their electricity and phone
supplied by underground cable, and neither were put in ducts.

QED a LOT of (expensive) digging and remedial work would be needed.
It isn't going to happen, 5G will/could make landlines obselete.

Presumably the same is true of the Japan figure.

-- Richard

Old November 15th 19, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

I wonder if Magic Grandpa has just got his knickers in a twist again?
IMSMC it is Korea that has 1Gb to every home, not Japan, but I could be
wrong.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old November 15th 19, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 14:16, MB wrote:
On 15/11/2019 11:33, Recliner wrote:
If I was prepared to pay a bit more, I could get Gigabit speeds (with no
change in hardware), but they'd be wasted. Even streaming 4k movies
doesn't
require particularly high speeds. Few households actually need much more
than a reliable 50Mbps.

I am sure there must be the proverbial "little old ladies" who only use
the Internet occasionally to send an EMail to their family but have been
assured that they need Gigabit speeds.

Japan is something of an early adopter. They had analogue HDTV in the
mid 1990's but it never really got past being a novelty.

Grandparents these days need a reasonably fast internet connection or
their internet addicted children and grandchildren will not visit!
I can't think of many that don't use Skype or Facebook offhand.

There are still a few internet Luddites around but these days they are
very much in a minority even in the UK.

I have mentioned previously that went I got my BT FTTC connection at
around 35 Mbps, a friend near the Silicon Valley area of the USA said it
was three times faster than what he could get,

US has a strange form of monopoly supply which makes some places have a
Hobson's choice of internet provider. Worse out in the sticks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 15th 19, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 16:26, Woody wrote:

I wonder if Magic Grandpa has just got his knickers in a twist again?
IMSMC it is Korea that has 1Gb to every home, not Japan, but I could be
wrong.

Japan won't be far off though at least in the major cities. I think they
claim about 40% coverage for 1+Gbps fibre to premises at the moment.

Most of SE Asia has pretty fast broadband infrastructure in all their
major cities. It gives visiting press a misleading impression.

When I lived in Japan you could still see a guy ploughing a rice paddy
with two buffalo right next to a state of the art semiconductor plant.
Rice farming in Japan is very heavily subsidised.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 15th 19, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 15:22, Andrew wrote:
It's the law of
unintended consequences, just look at how energy standing charges have
been hiked by 50% to pay for 'free' smart meters.

That most people don't want!

Old November 16th 19, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 17:46:02 +0000
Martin Brown wrote:

US has a strange form of monopoly supply which makes some places have
a Hobson's choice of internet provider. Worse out in the sticks.

When we lived there, until 2010, we had no choice of cable TV supplier
(and one was needed), and no choice of ISP. This was normal for a
suburb outside a major conurbation.

And they call it The Land of The Free!

--
Davey.
Old November 16th 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

US has a strange form of monopoly supply which makes some places have
a Hobson's choice of internet provider. Worse out in the sticks.

When we lived there, until 2010, we had no choice of cable TV supplier
(and one was needed), and no choice of ISP. This was normal for a
suburb outside a major conurbation.

And they call it The Land of The Free!

--
Davey.

The US has twice tried to break the AT&T monopoly in 1924/5 and 1973/4.

Similar anti-competitive practice persists in the US mobile phone service market.

Old November 16th 19, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

US has a strange form of monopoly supply which makes some places have
a Hobson's choice of internet provider. Worse out in the sticks.

When we lived there, until 2010, we had no choice of cable TV supplier
(and one was needed), and no choice of ISP. This was normal for a
suburb outside a major conurbation.

And they call it The Land of The Free!

Freedom for big monopolies to use their power and money to lobby
(effectively to bribe) politicians to block all competition.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old November 17th 19, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , MB writes
Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Is it true that 97% of all areas of Japan have high speed fibre broadband?

Their urban areas seem very congested with many services on poles and
of course they have rural areas.

Just always very sceptical of figures like that which can be thrown
around by politicians.

North Korea would perhaps be a more pertinent comparison.
--
bert
Old November 17th 19, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Brian
Gregory writes
Martin Brown wrote:

US has a strange form of monopoly supply which makes some places
have
a Hobson's choice of internet provider. Worse out in the sticks.

When we lived there, until 2010, we had no choice of cable TV
supplier
(and one was needed), and no choice of ISP. This was normal for a
suburb outside a major conurbation.
And they call it The Land of The Free!

Freedom for big monopolies to use their power and money to lobby
(effectively to bribe) politicians to block all competition.

And the model for the United States of Europe.
--
bert