Broadband in Japan

Old November 15th 19, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Broadband in Japan

Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Is it true that 97% of all areas of Japan have high speed fibre broadband?

Their urban areas seem very congested with many services on poles and of
course they have rural areas.

Just always very sceptical of figures like that which can be thrown
around by politicians.

Old November 15th 19, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 09:22, MB wrote:
Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Is it true that 97% of all areas of Japan have high speed fibre broadband?

I very much doubt it in area terms, but in population terms it could
well be true since 90% of the population are concentrated in urban
areas. There is almost a pricing singularity in central Tokyo with
insane speeds like 1Gbps available to the digital haves. See:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html

42% of homes have FTTB (much better than FTTC) in Japan according to
that and a national average download speed of about 31Mbps. They are
saturating their backhaul so headline speeds can be misleading.

Their urban areas seem very congested with many services on poles and of
course they have rural areas.

Just always very sceptical of figures like that which can be thrown
around by politicians.

It wouldn't surprise me if 90+% of the Japanese population had access to
better than UK FTTP speeds (but in the top 40% most populated areas).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 15th 19, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

MB wrote:
Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Is it true that 97% of all areas of Japan have high speed fibre broadband?

Their urban areas seem very congested with many services on poles and of
course they have rural areas.

Just always very sceptical of figures like that which can be thrown
around by politicians.

Yes, it's wise to be sceptical about politicians' claims. And, indeed,
Japan isn't top of the table; ignoring city states, China and South Korea
are even better, but only in the mid seventies percent. But our FTTH/B
figures to the household (ie, not businesses) are indeed dismal, even worse
than Corbyn claims:

https://www.fomsn.com/market-research/sobhana/asian-countries-lead-the-ftth-fttb-global-ranking/

Old November 15th 19, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 09:44, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/11/2019 09:22, MB wrote:
[...]

Looking around Japan on Streetview, once you leave the big wide roads
with tower blocks in the cities then it is very congested with narrow
streets that seem to have most of the service strung on poles that are
often shared with the electricity supply.

I am not sure I want to have the inconvenience of having to put extra
power sockets in the hall for a marginal increase in speed.
Old November 15th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

On 15/11/2019 09:22, MB wrote:
[...]

FTTB gives a huge increase in speed, but few people need it. I get
rock-solid up and download speeds of 165+ Mbps, which is very nice, but not
really needed. For example, this is a speed test I just did with my iPad
connecting via wifi:
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3550460007

If I was prepared to pay a bit more, I could get Gigabit speeds (with no
change in hardware), but they'd be wasted. Even streaming 4k movies doesn't
require particularly high speeds. Few households actually need much more
than a reliable 50Mbps.

Old November 15th 19, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 09:22, MB wrote:
[...]

Indeed but those services included cable TV and fastish cable modem
internet connections pretty much from the time that the internet became
popular in homes. Same was true in Belgium where I have also lived.

Population density in the major cities means the haves there have
something like 100x faster connections than the have nots and Japanese
have nots have typically 10x our official minimum speed of 2Mbps.

4G mobile is also rather popular in Japan as well.

I am not sure I want to have the inconvenience of having to put extra
power sockets in the hall for a marginal increase in speed.

The UK is still mostly wired up with POTS wet string by comparison at
least for the last mile (and much further in rural areas).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 15th 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 11:33, Recliner wrote:
If I was prepared to pay a bit more, I could get Gigabit speeds (with no
change in hardware), but they'd be wasted. Even streaming 4k movies doesn't
require particularly high speeds. Few households actually need much more
than a reliable 50Mbps.

I am sure there must be the proverbial "little old ladies" who only use
the Internet occasionally to send an EMail to their family but have been
assured that they need Gigabit speeds.

I have mentioned previously that went I got my BT FTTC connection at
around 35 Mbps, a friend near the Silicon Valley area of the USA said it
was three times faster than what he could get,

Old November 15th 19, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article , MB wrote:
Corbyn "Only 8-10% of premises in the UK are connected to full-fibre
broadband. It's 97% in Japan."

Of course nowhere near 8-10% of UK premises are *connected* to full
fibre. That figure is for "access" to full fibre, i.e. they could run
fibre from the pole if you ordered it.

Presumably the same is true of the Japan figure.

-- Richard
Old November 15th 19, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 09:22, MB wrote:
[...]

I get about 26Mbps and have a monthly limit of 30Gbyte, and I rarely use
more than a third of it.

If Labour steal BT's 5 billion pound income from Broadband, how much
will my basic line rental be increased to compensate ?. It's the law of
unintended consequences, just look at how energy standing charges have
been hiked by 50% to pay for 'free' smart meters.
Old November 15th 19, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 14:16, MB wrote:
On 15/11/2019 11:33, Recliner wrote:
If I was prepared to pay a bit more, I could get Gigabit speeds (with no
change in hardware), but they'd be wasted. Even streaming 4k movies
doesn't
require particularly high speeds. Few households actually need much more
than a reliable 50Mbps.

I am sure there must be the proverbial "little old ladies" who only use
the Internet occasionally to send an EMail to their family but have been
assured that they need Gigabit speeds.

All the little old ladies that I come across have no computer, no
internet and have no intention of changing.