BT HomeHubs now 'loaned'

Old January 12th 20, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Default BT HomeHubs now 'loaned'

On 18/12/2019 17:33, Peter Johnson wrote:
On 18 Dec 2019 13:15:09 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

BT Phone Residential Phone Tariff:
https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_Pho...esidential.pdf

"BT Home Hub
We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast
Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is
required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT
customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement hub, may be
supplied with a reconditioned hub. A reconditioned hub is one which has been
reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month
warranty that would apply to a brand new hub. When you end the BT Broadband
service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days
from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you'll
have to pay 43 for a Hub 4, 43 for a Smart Hub or 50 for a Smart Hub 2."

Has this always been the case (that BT technically owned the HomeHub), or
has it recently changed? Do they enforce returns now?

When I cancelled the TV service that I had with Plusnet (owned by BT)
I was surprised to receive, a few weeks later, a mailing bag which I
guessed, there was no exlanation, I was expected to use to return the
TV box, which was a bit late because I'd already sold it to someone on
eBay. I put the mailer in the recycling and heard no more about it.

We do try and recover certain equipment when a customer exits the
service, however there are no monetary repercussions assuming you are
out of contract.

Old January 12th 20, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Theo

Since BT hubs are locked to their internet service, in the same way as
mobile phones can be locked to a phone service, there wouldn't be any
point in keeping it anyway, so who it belongs to is academic.

It might have been some sort of insurance against nationalisation should Corbyn have won.

As in side thread I kept my HH5 in case of failure or damage to my new HH6.

Cable internet hubs are the same. Only one company provides cable
internet in the UK and has always locked their modems - or to be
precise, it's effectively the service that's locked so it will only
work with the correct modem (identified by MAC address) which has the
same end result - they're no use anywhere else in the UK.

Rod.

In the latest T&C BT have a fee you have to pay (99?) if you keep the Home Hub, but cancel or default before the initial contract term
Old January 14th 20, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 12/01/2020 10:42, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 18/12/2019 13:15, Theo wrote:
Has this always been the case (that BT technically owned the HomeHub), or
has it recently changed?

I believe it's a fairly recent thing.

I think it is more to do with recycling. They send out boxes with
pre-paid labels to return things for recycling. Just so they can fill
in forms to claim how "green" they are.

Old January 15th 20, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 20/12/2019 10:20, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:52:11 +0000, MikeS wrote:

Since BT hubs are locked to their internet service, in the same way as
mobile phones can be locked to a phone service, there wouldn't be any
point in keeping it anyway, so who it belongs to is academic.

Rod.

If you search you will find that there is wide interest in unwanted BT
hubs because they can be hacked to install open source firmware like
OpenWRT. They then make useful WiFi routers.

That doesn't surprise me, as my own experience in houses equipped with
the more recent BT hubs is that whatever you think of BT as a service
provider, the wireless performace of their hubs is very good.

Rod.

Yes.
BT Hub 5 is certainly quite hackable and apparently is a good choice as
an OpenWRT WiFi router.

As far as I know nobody has yet been able to hack BT Hub 6.

I think there is now a Hub 7 and I haven't heard about any hacks on that
yet but I guess it's too early to know if it will prove to be hackable
or not.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old January 15th 20, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Brian Gregory wrote:

BT Hub 5 is certainly quite hackable and apparently is a good choice as
an OpenWRT WiFi router.

indeed.

As far as I know nobody has yet been able to hack BT Hub 6.
I think there is now a Hub 7 and I haven't heard about any hacks on that
yet but I guess it's too early to know if it will prove to be hackable
or not.

BT swap and change between broadcom and other chipsets on their homehubs
and smarthubs, the HH5a happens to use Lantiq which was hackable, the
smarthub (aka HH6) and smarthub2 (AKA HH7) are both broadcom based so
not likely to be hackable ... more's the pity.
Old January 15th 20, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
BT swap and change between broadcom and other chipsets on their homehubs
and smarthubs, the HH5a happens to use Lantiq which was hackable, the
smarthub (aka HH6) and smarthub2 (AKA HH7) are both broadcom based so
not likely to be hackable ... more's the pity.

There's a HH6a which is Broadcom based, and a HH6b which is based on a
Lantiq GRX350, the next gen of the HH5a. However it appears there's no
support at present for the GRX350 in OpenWRT.

Although to be able to unlock from BT would be a handy thing, independent of
installing a new firmware.

Theo