Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband?

Old December 19th 19, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband?

Alfred wrote:

I don't want a cessation of service. I just wonder if I can continue
the service with Plusnet and get a partial refund each month that my
line is faulty.

Depends on ofcom's definition of "stopped working" ...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know
Old December 19th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Alfred wrote:
I just want to know if given the state of things, can I
ask for a partial refund of my bill to Plusnet?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...andline-faults
'Compensation and complaints' section
Old December 19th 19, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Alfred wrote:

I don't want a cessation of service. I just wonder if I can continue
the service with Plusnet and get a partial refund each month that my
line is faulty.

Depends on ofcom's definition of "stopped working" ...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

Thanks for the link. I have been without dial tone for several days,
but Plusnet is not a registered company in that compensation scheme.
So I don't think I can claim any money from that. But the list is
interesting for the next time I choose a provider.

Old December 19th 19, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Alfred wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Alfred wrote:

I don't want a cessation of service. I just wonder if I can continue
the service with Plusnet and get a partial refund each month that my
line is faulty.

Depends on ofcom's definition of "stopped working" ...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

Thanks for the link. I have been without dial tone for several days,
but Plusnet is not a registered company in that compensation scheme.
So I don't think I can claim any money from that. But the list is
interesting for the next time I choose a provider.

If you have no dial tone, then that's an OpenReach issue not Plusnet. Get
PN to send OR out to you.

Old December 19th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 19/12/2019 18:20, Chris wrote:
If you have no dial tone, then that's an OpenReach issue not Plusnet. Get
PN to send OR out to you.

But no point in him contacting BT or Openreach if his contract is with
Plusnet.

Old December 19th 19, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

MB wrote:
On 19/12/2019 18:20, Chris wrote:
If you have no dial tone, then that's an OpenReach issue not Plusnet. Get
PN to send OR out to you.

But no point in him contacting BT or Openreach if his contract is with
Plusnet.

Plusnet promised to send my a reply by tomorrow Friday. Calling OpenReach
is the most likely thing they are going to do.
Old December 19th 19, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Alfred
writes
I had a stable ADSL connection for long time at home. 1 year ago
they enabled FTTC in the cabinet and I upgraded to FTTC, which at
the beginning was working very well. I was getting 10/40Mbps as
promised and the connection was stable.

That stable FTTC connection lasted for 6 months. From June till
now the connection has been very unstable. I can stay for hours
without internet.

I got the visit of an Openreach engineer in August. He said the
connectors in a telephone box near the home and in the green
cabinet were corroded and changed them.

The engineer reset the broadband profile and after that I
recovered the 10/40 Mbps speed that I had in the contract and the
connection was stable. That lasted for one week. After that the
connection became unstable again.

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all. I still have broadband, even
without dial tone, but it's very unstable and the speed is much lower.
I have reported the problem to Plusnet and they are investigating.

I just want to know if given the state of things, can I
ask for a partial refund of my bill to Plusnet?

It costs nothing to ask.
If they refuse or you are not happy with their response you can then
take your complaint thorough the Ofcom appointed complaints channel.
Keep good records of your line performance, dates times of fault logging
etc.
--
bert
Old December 19th 19, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 19/12/2019 15:06, Alfred wrote:
Chris wrote:
I just want to know if given the state of things, can I
ask for a partial refund of my bill to Plusnet?

Probably. They will have given you guaranteed minimum speed. If you're
below that then you should recourse for cessation of service or refund.

I don't want a cessation of service. I just wonder if I can continue
the service with Plusnet and get a partial refund each month that my
line is faulty. Right now the speed is very low and the telephone
line is unusable for voice (no dial tone).

No dial tone is a hard POTS fault. You don't need to go through your
ISPs procedures for that. You can beat up whoever you pay your line
rental to for phone use. Likewise with a noisy line. It is much faster
to get a no dial tone fault fixed by reporting it as a POTS fault.

Basically ring up their customer service number and report it as a noisy
line or one without dial tone. Fixing that fault for basic phone service
will almost certainly restore a decent stable internet connection.

I am exceptic that they will be able to find the fault, so at least I
hope I can get some economic compensation.

If you have no dial tone or noisy line then the engineers should take
about 3 working days from reporting the fault to getting it fixed.

(unless you are with TalkTalk in which case s/days/months/).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 21st 19, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

UPDATE: The OpenReach engineer just come today, 4 days after I
reported the fault. He was able to localize the fault and it was in a
junction box 10 meters away from the home. I guess the failure was
easier to localize this time because the phone line completely stopped
working.

Now I'm getting the speed in my contract again (40/10 Mbps), and the
phone line has no noise. Let's hope that things continue working well.

Just one question. Since it took from Tuesday (reported) to Saturday
(fixed), is there a procedure to ask for compensation to Plusnet?
With Zen or BT I would have received automatic compensation for that
period of time.