Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband?

Old December 19th 19, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Default Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband?

I had a stable ADSL connection for long time at home. 1 year ago
they enabled FTTC in the cabinet and I upgraded to FTTC, which at
the beginning was working very well. I was getting 10/40Mbps as
promised and the connection was stable.

That stable FTTC connection lasted for 6 months. From June till
now the connection has been very unstable. I can stay for hours
without internet.

I got the visit of an Openreach engineer in August. He said the
connectors in a telephone box near the home and in the green
cabinet were corroded and changed them.

The engineer reset the broadband profile and after that I
recovered the 10/40 Mbps speed that I had in the contract and the
connection was stable. That lasted for one week. After that the
connection became unstable again.

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all. I still have broadband, even
without dial tone, but it's very unstable and the speed is much lower.
I have reported the problem to Plusnet and they are investigating.

I just want to know if given the state of things, can I
ask for a partial refund of my bill to Plusnet?
Old December 19th 19, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Alfred wrote:
[...]

I did, with BT. And after a further period of continued failures, they let
me leave without penalty. I'm now very happy not to depend on Openreach
lines and engineers (I think I saw at least six of them).

Old December 19th 19, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Alfred wrote:
[...]

Probably. They will have given you guaranteed minimum speed. If you're
below that then you should recourse for cessation of service or refund.

Old December 19th 19, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Alfred wrote:

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all.

Don't report a broadband fault, report the phone line fault.
Old December 19th 19, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 19/12/2019 08:23, Andy Burns wrote:

Alfred wrote:

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all.

Don't report a broadband fault, report the phone line fault.

From your description it sounds as though there is an intermittent
connection on your line in street cab or between it and your home. You
need d.c. continuity to get a dial tone - you won't get one if the
exchange cannot see by an increase in line current that you have lifted
the handset. Broadband will continue to work across a small wire break
or poor connection as it is a radio frequency signal which will jump the
gap, but usually if that happens the speed will suffer which appears to
be the case here. It is unlikely to be a cable fault between the cab and
the exchange - if it were your broadband would continue at rated speed.

As Andy says, the script droids in Bangalore have considerable
difficulty handling broadband issues, but here you clearly have a basic
line fault which they can handle so report it as that and lean on them.

It helps considerably to apply pressure if you have anyone in your
household that has an illness for which the phone is a lifeline.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 19th 19, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Alfred wrote:

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all.

Don't report a broadband fault, report the phone line fault.

And if that doesn't fix it, cancel the contract and move to Zen.

They will help you - the same Openreach engineers will be sent out to
test the line and make repairs, but Zen will continue to pester them
until the line is working properly.

--
Graham J
Old December 19th 19, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 19/12/2019 08:41, Woody wrote:
As Andy says, the script droids in Bangalore have considerable
difficulty handling broadband issues, but here you clearly have a basic
line fault which they can handle so report it as that and lean on them.

A few years there was a serious fault affecting the North of Scotland
which lots of people had reported but nothing was done.

After a day or so, the moderator of the BT Community Forums saw posts on
there and contacted their operations people and they knew nothing about
the fault.

A card in the exchange was faulty but had not changed over because it
was not indicating a fault. The people in the BT operations centre will
have checked but as no fault was indicated, presumed there was no fault
- The Computer is Always Right principle.

It was fixed quickly after the moderator passed on to the appropriate
people and a week later a BT Manager took part in a live chat. I asked
why they cannot detect that the amount of traffic has dropped and also
why not monitor the number of people doing speed-checks (or attempting
to do so). Both are an indication that something is wrong.

I have often seen people complaining on the forums and being asked to
pass their details.

If you are with Plusnet then see if they have any similar forum.

Old December 19th 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 19/12/2019 09:10, MB wrote:

If you are with Plusnet then see if they have any similar forum.

If you include 'Plusnet' in the title, they may even pop up here.

--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Old December 19th 19, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Alfred wrote:

Things are now getting much worser and the telephone line is very
noisy to the point of being unusable (I cannot even call 17070) and
sometimes I get no dial tone at all.

Don't report a broadband fault, report the phone line fault.

I just did that this week. This time I went to http://faults.plus.net
and reported that I had no dial tone. They have taken it seriously and
promised a reply by tomorrow Friday.

It was more effective than the other times when I reported a broadband
fault and they just used canned responses like "check your ADSL filter"
or "ensure nothing such as wiring within the property is causing
disturbance"
Old December 19th 19, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Chris wrote:
I just want to know if given the state of things, can I
ask for a partial refund of my bill to Plusnet?

Probably. They will have given you guaranteed minimum speed. If you're
below that then you should recourse for cessation of service or refund.

I don't want a cessation of service. I just wonder if I can continue
the service with Plusnet and get a partial refund each month that my
line is faulty. Right now the speed is very low and the telephone
line is unusable for voice (no dial tone).

I am exceptic that they will be able to find the fault, so at least I
hope I can get some economic compensation.