3m homes have access to full-fibre broadband ... but 155,000 ruralhomes unable to get decent service

Old December 21st 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default 3m homes have access to full-fibre broadband ... but 155,000 ruralhomes unable to get decent service

Three million homes have access to full-fibre broadband
By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter

Three million homes in the UK can now access full-fibre broadband,
offering speeds of up to one gigabit per second.

That's a sharp rise from this time last year when just 1.6 million
households could get those speeds.

But there are still 155,000 rural homes that are unable to get a decent
internet service, according to Ofcom's latest report.

The government has pledged £5bn to support the rollout of
gigabit-capable broadband to such areas.

It has also indicated that it will introduce laws to accelerate the
delivery of full-fibre broadband across the UK, but without a specific
timetable."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50865443
Old December 21st 19, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 21/12/2019 in message Java Jive wrote:

Three million homes have access to full-fibre broadband
By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter

Three million homes in the UK can now access full-fibre broadband,
offering speeds of up to one gigabit per second.

That's a sharp rise from this time last year when just 1.6 million
households could get those speeds.

But there are still 155,000 rural homes that are unable to get a decent
internet service, according to Ofcom's latest report.

The government has pledged £5bn to support the rollout of gigabit-capable
broadband to such areas.

It has also indicated that it will introduce laws to accelerate the
delivery of full-fibre broadband across the UK, but without a specific
timetable."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50865443

I wonder of there is technology that uses 5G or similar to local cabinets
in villages? The cost of running miles of fibre must be horrendous.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
Old December 21st 19, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Jeff Gaines wrote:
[...]

But we did manage to run miles of copper wire for rural electrification,
and that has to be routed more carefully owing to the voltages involved.
I'm not quite sure why the fibre can't be strung from the electricity poles
- they do that in France.

Old December 21st 19, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 21/12/2019 13:31, Jeff Gaines wrote:
I wonder of there is technology that uses 5G or similar to local
cabinets in villages? The cost of running miles of fibre must be
horrendous.

Do you mean to feed the cabinet or to feed the local ends to the
different premises?

Feeding the cabinet might be difficult if 5G coverage is poor (or
non-existent) as likely in these rural areas.

Old December 21st 19, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 13:24:47 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

The government has pledged £5bn to support the rollout of
gigabit-capable broadband to such areas.

It has also indicated that it will introduce laws to accelerate the
delivery of full-fibre broadband across the UK, but without a specific
timetable."

So, another worthless Tory 'promise'.
Old December 21st 19, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 21 December 2019 13:31:20 UTC, Jeff Gaines wrote:
[...]

Satellite access? Could be cheaper.

If you want lots of shops, a pub, frequent buses, a postbox at the end of the street and fast broadband then live in the city. If you want a peaceful life away from the traffic jams, noise, the constant intrusions and hubbub of urban life then live in an isolated cottage in the country.

A lot of people who live in such locations actively choose to do so, but I totally fail to see why I should subsidise their mains' gas and sewer connections or fibre broadband.

A relative chose to live in hamlets in rural Lincolnshire, none had main gas, one finally got a main sewer a couple of years ago and another only got main electricity in 1952.

Old December 21st 19, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 21/12/2019 14:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Satellite access? Could be cheaper.

No, although the data is about 2-3 years old now, see the graphs linked
below - now that mobile has got cheaper since then, satellite is left
as the most expensive way to get broadband:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/Shinness/FTTC...l#Technologies

If you want lots of shops, a pub, frequent buses, a postbox at the end of the street and fast broadband then live in the city. If you want a peaceful life away from the traffic jams, noise, the constant intrusions and hubbub of urban life then live in an isolated cottage in the country.

A lot of people who live in such locations actively choose to do so, but I totally fail to see why I should subsidise their mains' gas and sewer connections or fibre broadband.

The standard rant, to which the standard reply is that actually they're
subsidising you, because they're paying the same as you but for a sh*t
service.

A relative chose to live in hamlets in rural Lincolnshire, none had main gas, one finally got a main sewer a couple of years ago and another only got main electricity in 1952.

So?

Old December 21st 19, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

A lot of people who live in such locations actively choose to do so, but
I totally fail to see why I should subsidise their mains' gas and sewer
connections or fibre broadband.

..

Because it is part of being in a society, rather than being I'm all right
Jack. People without children pay for schools, the fit and healthy pay for
the chronically unwell. I pay for Arts in London that I don't attend, I pay
for Radio 3 that I don't listen to, I pay for the coastguard despite living
in the Midlands etc etc. However I'm happy to pay for all of the above. Gas
and sewers all have *reasonable* alternatives in the rural areas. Most
sensible people would argue that satellite broadband is not a reasonable
alternative. Even if the adults choose to have the rural country lifestyle,
their offspring are usually not part of that decision making process. They
want access to the same broadband sites as their urban counterparts, for
good or ill. Next you'll be saying we shouldn't bother to maintain country
roads to rural hamlets. We should aim to help each other out, rather than
knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Old December 21st 19, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 12/21/2019 10:44 AM, Java Jive wrote:
On 21/12/2019 14:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
A lot of people who live in such locations actively choose to do so,
but I totally fail to see why I should subsidise their mains' gas and
sewer connections or fibre broadband.

The standard rant, to which the standard reply is that actually they're
subsidising you, because they're paying the same as you but for a sh*t
service.

Yes.
For years, I paid the same amount for abysmally slow internet service in
Sutherland, as my uncle paid for excellent service in Edinburgh. (We now
have FTTC.)
We don't have mains gas, subsidised or otherwise, and we maintain our
own septic system.
Old December 21st 19, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

By definition there are not a lot of people in rural areas that cannot
get say 5Mb or more. Simple solution - GSM router on 4G.

We caravan at a farm site near Frome in Somerset. Four landlines in the
same o/h cable to the farm; one gets 5.5Mb, one gets about 2.5Mb, and
two get 1.8Mb the last three (curiously NOT the 5.5Mb) tend to degrade
in wet or windy weather.

Had a chat with the farmer who has 3 unlimited data on his phone and
showed him how to set it up as a hotspot. He and his wife now both use
it instead of the landline B/B. Unfortunately 3 only has 3G there but EE
on the same tower (1Km away) and O2 and VF on a pylon 600m away all do
4G and from O2 I have pulled 45Mb on a mi-fi unit on O2. The farmer got
a GSM router on a deal with EE and connected it to his existing access
point that I put up for him and his caravan visitors are now delighted.

If he can do that why can't others (like his mates after he told them
what he had done/achieved!)

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com