London BB Outage (was: This ere large outage in London & BT [Yahoo!]email down again)

Old December 21st 19, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default London BB Outage (was: This ere large outage in London & BT [Yahoo!]email down again)

In uk.tech.digital-tv in subject "This ere large outage in London"
on 20/12/2019 17:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

It seems not only Virgin were affected, many other broadband suppliers, but
not Sky, it seems have been off for nearly two days since the jcb cut the
cable in New Malden. So is New Malden somehow some large data hub for many
companies or are they all piggy backing on the one cable.
I am not off at the moment and many of the virgin TV customers are coming
back on line it seems now. The UK lady people seem to be speaking to seems
to have just been hired to say platitudes to those still offline. I
consider myself lucky not to have been affected

Also in uk.telecom.broadband in subject "BT [Yahoo!] email down again)"
on 21/12/2019 14:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Fallen over again overnight, one can get on web mail, but my phone, tablet and Outlook all get authentification failure - the usual scenario when Yahoo!'s servers are ****ed.

Seems parts of the London area are having problems, perhaps that's where
some firms' servers are? At least BT and Virgin seem to be affected.
See the maps and comments for today and yesterday here ...

https://istheservicedown.co.uk/statu...united-kingdom

.... and here ...

https://istheservicedown.co.uk/statu...united-kingdom

I guess if it does not go bang, smell of gas or flood the hole the workman
thinks nothing of digging up cables...

Reminds me of my favourite workman story. Out west, during the reign of
Queen Margaret Of The Unemployed, there was circulating a story that
there were some unemployed (technically they were actually on one of
these various 'Work While You Claim Benefit' or 'Be Paid A Pittance To
Do Socially Useful Work Instead Of Claiming Benefit' or similar scheme
designed to reduce the then headline 3 million unemployed) digging a
hole in Goodrich Castle car park under the charge of an overseer with a
map of all the local services. They uncovered some cables. The
overseer consulted his map. "No!", he pronounced, "These must be old,
they're not marked here! Go through them!" So in went the pickaxe,
there was a binding flash, and all the lights in Goodrich went out.
Old December 22nd 19, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 21 December 2019 16:46:09 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Email recovered after ~16 hours.

When I were 't lad some travelers moved onto a site in an industrial estate where they were going to build a new factory. One writ later they were off, but the owner decided to dig a trench to stop them getting back on.

Dig here they said and so the operator cut through a 132kV national grid cable buried there. It evaporated part of the JCB's bucket and blacked out most of Watford, including the hospital for well over twelve hours. We had to abandon our offices after 6 to 8 hours when the emergency lights conked out. At least the driver was uninjured.
Old January 23rd 20, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default London BB Outage

On 22/12/2019 20:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 21 December 2019 16:46:09 UTC, Java Jive wrote:

Email recovered after ~16 hours.

When I were 't lad some travelers moved onto a site in an industrial estate where they were going to build a new factory. One writ later they were off, but the owner decided to dig a trench to stop them getting back on.

Dig here they said and so the operator cut through a 132kV national grid cable buried there. It evaporated part of the JCB's bucket and blacked out most of Watford, including the hospital for well over twelve hours. We had to abandon our offices after 6 to 8 hours when the emergency lights conked out. At least the driver was uninjured.

I daresay he needed a new pair of trousers..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen