Plusnet dodgy Internet

Old January 12th 20, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Default Plusnet dodgy Internet

On 09/01/2020 13:16, Alfreed wrote:
Report a fault? Until you do, Plusnet won't know that you have a problem.

The URL to report faults is

http://faults.plus.net

It's much faster than calling them, but for some reason that link does
not get much publicity.

This here is good advice ^

During an outage, and as others have alluded to, it would be useful to
know if routing to IP addresses as well as domain names is affected.
This can be determined by carrying out a a couple of ping commands via
the command line, e.g:-

ping pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com
ping 80.249.99.164

If the first fails but the latter succeeds then it's also helpful to
know whether or not the issue is with the DNS resolver/proxy you're
using. To help determine this, the output from the following two lookups
would help, again from command line:-

nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com
nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com 212.159.6.10

It would also help to know what router you are using, and whether or not
the problem is temporarily resolved with a reboot.

Old January 12th 20, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 12/01/2020 10:40, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

That 212..... IP address does not reply. Is it correct?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 12th 20, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

Plusnet Support Team wrote:

nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com 212.159.6.10

That 212..... IP address does not reply.

Bob wasn't suggesting pinging the 212 address, but using is as a DNS server.

Old January 12th 20, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Woody wrote:
On Sun 12/01/2020 10:40, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 09/01/2020 13:16, Alfreed wrote:
Report a fault? Until you do, Plusnet won't know that you have a
problem.

The URL to report faults is

http://faults.plus.net

It's much faster than calling them, but for some reason that link does
not get much publicity.

This here is good advice ^

During an outage, and as others have alluded to, it would be useful to
know if routing to IP addresses as well as domain names is affected.
This can be determined by carrying out a couple of ping commands via
the command line, e.g:-

ping pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com
ping 80.249.99.164

If the first fails but the latter succeeds then it's also helpful to
know whether or not the issue is with the DNS resolver/proxy you're
using. To help determine this, the output from the following two lookups
would help, again from command line:-

nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com
nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com 212.159.6.10

It would also help to know what router you are using, and whether or not
the problem is temporarily resolved with a reboot.

That 212..... IP address does not reply. Is it correct?

212.159.6.10 is the IP address of a DNS server. It's common to
configure these so they don't respond to ping.

However I can ping it from here via my Plusnet connection so the
configuraton may only allow ping from from a Plusnet customer.

--
Graham J
Old January 12th 20, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Woody wrote:

Plusnet Support Team wrote:

nslookup pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com 212.159.6.10

That 212..... IP address does not reply.

Bob wasn't suggesting pinging the 212 address, but using is as a DNS
server.

FWIW, it does respond to pings for me (I'm on plusnet; IIRC you're on
virgin, so maybe it "shuns" you? Though if I fire up a VPN to get a
different public IP addr, it still replies to me)
Old January 12th 20, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 12/01/2020 12:09, Graham J wrote:
Woody wrote:
[...]

Must be the case as I cannot get a ping from it either and as Andy says,
yes I am on VM.

Old January 12th 20, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

OK I'll look into that next time I have a problem

It would also help to know what router you are using,

the one Plusnet sent me

Though I am suspicious of the performance of that

I now have a new desktop which I am installing, and that struggles to keep
up the wifi link, even when sitting next to the laptop

Most weirdly, when I first turned it on, the installation page did not offer
me my router in the list at all, though I got 15 others from around the
block

and whether or not
the problem is temporarily resolved with a reboot.

As the problem is itself temporary, that would be difficult to ascertain

tim

Old January 12th 20, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

I now have a new desktop which I am installing, and that struggles to
keep up the wifi link, even when sitting next to the laptop

first thing to eliminate when suspecting "internet problems" is wifi, if
it's a desktop and it's near the router, give it an ethernet cable ...
Old January 13th 20, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brighton Rock

On 12/01/2020 18:09, tim... wrote:

[...]

Tim

Looking at the thread again, do you have a wifi problem or a line
problem? In other words does the router maintain connection to the world
when you have these difficulties but your computer/phone/etc. drop out?

I'm asking because there is a known issue with the Plusnet Hub One (if
that is what you have - the latest, white one with the big blue light)
that affects the wifi, particularly with Apple kit. This Hub operates on
2 wifi frequencies. They need to be given different names to avoid
conflicts and drop outs.
Look at
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Rou.../1395859#M2098
for how to do this.
Old January 13th 20, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

I now have a new desktop which I am installing, and that struggles to
keep up the wifi link, even when sitting next to the laptop

first thing to eliminate when suspecting "internet problems" is wifi, if
it's a desktop and it's near the router, give it an ethernet cable ...

+1

Permanently

--
Graham J