Plusnet dodgy Internet

Old January 8th 20, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Plusnet dodgy Internet

Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

What's telling you that you have "no internet", a windows PC?

Um? yes

I actually meant was it windows own icon in the taskbar tray, which
shows "internet access" or "no internet access"

Browser reports "cannot connect"

if you open a CMD window and leave "ping -t google.com" running, do
the successful replies actually stop?

presumably during one of the outages?

start it now, leave it running, see if it stops replying at a time
browser doesn't work

Then, leaving that command window open with the "ping" running, open
another command window and try to ping bbc.co.uk - if this fails I would
then suspect a problem with your DNS settings. Worth checking the
router to see if it has acquired a DNS server IP that isn't one of those
from Plusnet.

Also, have a browser window open showing the router's management page -
this will confirm whether you have a good connection between the
computer and the router.

--
Graham J
Old January 9th 20, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 08/01/2020 19:27, tim... wrote:

"Brighton Rock" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/01/2020 18:48, tim... wrote:
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no
internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news
server, so it's not the line that at fault.

I take it you mean no ability to reach external sites but with a
physical connection synch and packets to and from ISP network still
working. What diagnostics do you get back?

Are other people suffering from this?

I lived with it over Christmas as I gave them the benefit of the
doubt having people on holiday etc.

But it's still happening.

It's getting to the point of unusable some days

I still have 6 months to go on my 18 month contract

what to do?????

tim

Report a fault? Until you do, Plusnet won't know that you have a problem.

I assumed that if it was more than my line, someone else would have already

When it is in a failed state can you still ping known numeric IP
addresses on the internet? Could be you have a local DNS fault.

You are probably best off reporting it as a fault.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 9th 20, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 08/01/2020 19:27, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no
internet" for several minutes at a time

What's telling you that you have "no internet", a windows PC?

Um? yes

Browser reports "cannot connect"

Temporary DNS lookup failure is a distinct possibility then.
Does cycling power on the router fix it?

obviously I try more than one site to make sure that it's not the site
that's down

if you open a CMD window and leave "ping -t google.com" running, do
the successful replies actually stop?

presumably during one of the outages?

I'll try

Yes. Do a test first and write down the magic numbers for google

ping 8.8.8.8

is easily memorable - other sites are available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 9th 20, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

On 08/01/2020 18:48, tim... wrote:
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no
internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news
server, so it's not the line that at fault.

I take it you mean no ability to reach external sites but with a physical
connection synch and packets to and from ISP network still working. What
diagnostics do you get back?

you think that I know how to run diagnostics?

tim

Old January 9th 20, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Graham J" wrote in message
Then, leaving that command window open with the "ping" running, open
another command window and try to ping bbc.co.uk - if this fails I would
then suspect a problem with your DNS settings. Worth checking the router
to see if it has acquired a DNS server IP that isn't one of those from
Plusnet.

Also, have a browser window open showing the router's management page -
this will confirm whether you have a good connection between the computer
and the router.

I have created a text file that contains the IP addresses of a few key sites
(eg news.bbc.co.uk, www.google.com) etc that I refer to so I can compare

ping news.bbc.co.uk
ping 212.58.249.145

to distinguish between failure to resolve the domain name to its IP address
(a DNS problem) and failure to ping the resolved IP (possibly a routing or
server problem).

If I get either of these failures I check several different sites, because
sometimes the failure can be site-specific. There was a time that Plusnet
had routing problems and I could ping and browse to www.plus.net but not to
any non-PN site.

My first test is to ping the router's own IP address (the Default Gateway
returned by ipconfig) to check for good comms between the PC and router. I
then try pinging another PC on my LAN to check for local routing.

Old January 9th 20, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
Then, leaving that command window open with the "ping" running, open
another command window and try to ping bbc.co.uk - if this fails I
would then suspect a problem with your DNS settings.* Worth checking
the router to see if it has acquired a DNS server IP that isn't one of
those from Plusnet.

Also, have a browser window open showing the router's management page
- this will confirm whether you have a good connection between the
computer and the router.

I have created a text file that contains the IP addresses of a few key
sites (eg news.bbc.co.uk, www.google.com) etc that I refer to so I can
compare

ping news.bbc.co.uk
ping 212.58.249.145

Be aware that the BBC has seveal IP addresses to facilitate load
balancing. Better to use a name that resolves to a unique IP, such as:

ntp0.zen.co.uk which resolves to 212.23.8.6

That way you are reasonably sure that the IP address will always be present.

Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 wold be a good one also.

--
Graham J
Old January 9th 20, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 08:52:03 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Browser reports "cannot connect"

Temporary DNS lookup failure is a distinct possibility then.
Does cycling power on the router fix it?

obviously I try more than one site to make sure that it's not the site
that's down

if you open a CMD window and leave "ping -t google.com" running, do
the successful replies actually stop?

presumably during one of the outages?

I'll try

Yes. Do a test first and write down the magic numbers for google

ping 8.8.8.8

is easily memorable - other sites are available.

An even easier one to remember is 1.1.1.1 which is Cloudflare's DNS
server.

If destinations ping by number but not by name, then it's a DNS issue.

If your ISP has DNS issues, one way is to try to get them to fix it,
but a quicker way is simply not to use their DNS server at all but log
in to your router and change the DNS setting manually to another of
your choice, perhaps 8.8.8.8 as suggested, or 1.1.1.1. There's usually
a space to enter a secondary DNS, which you don't have to do because
as long as the main server is working the secondary won't be needed,
but Cloudflare's secondsary DNS server is 1.0.0.1, and I can't
remember Google's but I'm sure somebody will.

Rod.
Old January 9th 20, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfreed

Report a fault? Until you do, Plusnet won't know that you have a problem.

The URL to report faults is

http://faults.plus.net

It's much faster than calling them, but for some reason that link does
not get much publicity.
Old January 10th 20, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , tim...
writes
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no
internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news
server, so it's not the line that at fault.

Are other people suffering from this?

I lived with it over Christmas as I gave them the benefit of the doubt
having people on holiday etc.

But it's still happening.

It's getting to the point of unusable some days

I still have 6 months to go on my 18 month contract

what to do?????

tim

I'm not having any issues - and am on Plusnet.
--
bert
Old January 11th 20, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 22 + on netbook

bert wrote:
In article , tim...
writes
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no
internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news
server, so it's not the line that at fault.

Are other people suffering from this?

I lived with it over Christmas as I gave them the benefit of the
doubt having people on holiday etc.

But it's still happening.

It's getting to the point of unusable some days

I still have 6 months to go on my 18 month contract

what to do?????

tim

I'm not having any issues - and am on Plusnet.

Me neither. But here's hoping that I'm not tempting fate by saying
that!!