Shared VoIP access

Old June 24th 19, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Default Shared VoIP access

On Sun 23/06/2019 23:29, Graham. wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

Woody, which VSP is providing this SIP trunk? as you say, some support
multiple registrations, sometimes called "call forking". The ISPs you
are using are unlikely to be a problem.

Sipgate is probably the best choice, particularly if you want a
geographic number, but although the account is still free, there is a
bit of bureaucracy involved these days, and you have to wait for
address verification via snail-mail. No need to apply credit if you
just need incoming calls.

If you must use a VSP that does not support multiple phones, all is
not lost, you just need a SIP PABX, and you could use a free one in
the cloud provided by pbxes.com

You would then register the trunk with pbxes and connect the two
phones as extensions and create a ring group to call them
simultaneously, and finally an inbound route pointing the trunk to the
ring group. Great fun and all free.

Thanks for that Graham.
My main VSP is indeed Sipgate. Following a comment from someone else I
set up Phonerlite on my desktop with the same settings (albeit different
port numbers) as the ATA on my desktop phone, then rang them from my
mobile. Both rang, either could answer.
I also have an account with Firstcom Europe (as was voip.co.uk) where I
will have to try it.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 24th 19, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 23 June 2019 16:18:46 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

Some providers will ring them all, but Voipfone will only ring one, and not entirely predictably.

OTOH if you set the two phones up as extensions in a hunt group then they will both ring (2 per extension IIRC).

TIA

Old June 26th 19, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 23/06/2019 16:18, Woody wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

I think AAISP claim to allow this. You would need to test that both
phones always ring when there is an incoming call.

--
Michael Chare
Old June 26th 19, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Wed 26/06/2019 19:48, Michael Chare wrote:
On 23/06/2019 16:18, Woody wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two
different locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

I think AAISP claim to allow this.* You would need to test that both
phones always ring when there is an incoming call.

I have - on Sipgate and it works.

Old June 27th 19, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 26/06/2019 21:12, Woody wrote:
On Wed 26/06/2019 19:48, Michael Chare wrote:
On 23/06/2019 16:18, Woody wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two
different locations but both registered onto the system at the same
time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

I think AAISP claim to allow this.* You would need to test that both
phones always ring when there is an incoming call.

I have - on Sipgate and it works.

Good. With Voipfone you can only have one registered device.

--
Michael Chare

Old July 2nd 19, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 21:12:21 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

I have - on Sipgate and it works.

I have 2 at home (and it is possible to transfer a call between the two by pressing Transfer and then dialling the 'exchange number' but I don't know if this transferred portion of the call is charged for).

I also know someone with 2 Sipgate phones in UK and one in Italy.

Owain

Old July 6th 19, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 19:48:35 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

On 23/06/2019 16:18, Woody wrote:
I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

I think AAISP claim to allow this. You would need to test that both
phones always ring when there is an incoming call.

AAISP do allow this. I have 2 devices connected all the time, and on
occasions had 4. I think they claim you can have up to 10 devices connected.
Old July 12th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 29/06/2019 11:32, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Incorrect - on Voipfone you can have multiple registered devices and they can all make calls, however when called only one will ring in and unfortunately at present you can't designate which one, nor even predictably which one will ring although it is usually the last one to call out if enabled for incoming.

See https://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/vi...php?f=8&t=1083

--
Michael Chare