Shared VoIP access

Old June 23rd 19, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Default Shared VoIP access

I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 23rd 19, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I thought it was common to allow multiple registrations, has been a
while since I did it and that was probably with asterisk sitting between
my devices and and the SIP trunk.
Old June 23rd 19, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Sun 23/06/2019 16:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two
different locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I thought it was common to allow multiple registrations, has been a
while since I did it and that was probably with asterisk sitting between
my devices and and the SIP trunk.

No, this will be the same telephone number with two different ATAs at
two different locations but I am unsure if it is the same ISP at both
sites - certainly the home ISP is TT.

Old June 23rd 19, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

this will be the same telephone number with two different ATAs at two
different locations

yes, I've certainly had it ring an ATA at home plus X-Lite on a laptop
at a customer site.
Old June 23rd 19, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 23/06/2019 17:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

this will be the same telephone number with two different ATAs at two
different locations

yes, I've certainly had it ring an ATA at home plus X-Lite on a laptop
at a customer site.

I know it's not different locations, but I have a few Cisco IP phones
with several Sipgate numbers and a CallCentric number for my friends in
the US.

The Sipgate numbers ring on all the phones and can be answered from any
of them fine, but the CallCentric number only rings on one of them. No
idea why, they are all set up the same.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 23rd 19, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Woody wrote:

this will be the same telephone number with two different ATAs at two
different locations

yes, I've certainly had it ring an ATA at home plus X-Lite on a laptop
at a customer site.

I know it's not different locations, but I have a few Cisco IP phones
with several Sipgate numbers and a CallCentric number for my friends in
the US.

The Sipgate numbers ring on all the phones and can be answered from any
of them fine, but the CallCentric number only rings on one of them. No
idea why, they are all set up the same.

Out of interest which Cisco phone (models) are you using? I fancy one in
SIP format for my desktop but there are so many variants I can never
guess which one to buy!

Old June 23rd 19, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 18:33:35 +0100, Woody wrote:

Out of interest which Cisco phone (models) are you using? I fancy one in
SIP format for my desktop but there are so many variants I can never
guess which one to buy!

PMFJI...

I have two sorts here in the house. Three SPA301s and seven SPA303s.

The 301s are wall mounted, the rest are sitting on desktops/shelves etc.
Had them quite a while, very reliable although there are a dizzying
number of options to set up.
Old June 24th 19, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 23/06/2019 18:33, Woody wrote:

Out of interest which Cisco phone (models) are you using? I fancy one in
SIP format for my desktop but there are so many variants I can never
guess which one to buy!

They're only the cheap & cheerful SPA501G's, no display or any memories,
but 8 lines. They were cheap (a tenner each) on eBay. They're
SIP-capable as they come, mine were anyway. Programmable from a web
browser, same as the average ATA.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 24th 19, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 23/06/2019 21:52, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Callcentric also allows multiple ringing however you need to configure each
connection as a different extension (also called a Sub-Account) and with a
different login, then use Call Treatments to send calls to the extension(s)
you wish to ring.

Where default login is say 1777MYCCID then this implies extension 100. You
can add further extensions such as 1777MYCCID101, 1777MYCCID102 etc in the
Extension tab where each can have a different password and then in Call
Treatments you will need a final line after the lines to kill spam etc, such
as:

Caller ID Called # Redirect call to
Any Any Ext 100, Ext 101, Ext 102, Voicemail - 100

to send the call to those extension(s). You can add up to 50 extra
extensions for a total of 51 extensions, however I believe you can not have
more than 5 extensions in any one Call Treatment line. The online help is
pretty detailed but let me know if you encounter any problems.

Ah, thanks for that, I'll have a play tomorrow.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 24th 19, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

I have a need to have the same VoIP number accessible from two different
locations but both registered onto the system at the same time.

I have a recollection that I have seen on here that some VSPs provide
this capability.

The need is for a home phone and office phone on the same number that
can be answered at home or at the office which are about 6 miles apart.

TIA

Woody, which VSP is providing this SIP trunk? as you say, some support
multiple registrations, sometimes called "call forking". The ISPs you
are using are unlikely to be a problem.

Sipgate is probably the best choice, particularly if you want a
geographic number, but although the account is still free, there is a
bit of bureaucracy involved these days, and you have to wait for
address verification via snail-mail. No need to apply credit if you
just need incoming calls.

If you must use a VSP that does not support multiple phones, all is
not lost, you just need a SIP PABX, and you could use a free one in
the cloud provided by pbxes.com

You would then register the trunk with pbxes and connect the two
phones as extensions and create a ring group to call them
simultaneously, and finally an inbound route pointing the trunk to the
ring group. Great fun and all free.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%