Lowest cost VOIP solution?

Old September 29th 19, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default Lowest cost VOIP solution?

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:34:57 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Maybe she has a phone number / line but just hasn't got a phone

take one round when you visit, and try calling 17070

Well, I'm pretty sure she has DECT phone round there because it was
her sisters before she took the flat over but I remember her saying
something about why she could no longer use it (didn't sign up for
it). Right, I've just Whatsapped her and apparently she was given a
landline *number* but she didn't take up the Landline package so it
'doesn't work'. I'll check just how much does or doesn't work when I
go there next.

Anyway (to get back to the point g) who are we currently using as a
VOIP provider where you can use it like a real landline, the 'rental'
costs are nill / minimum but there may be a bit more cost in the
usage?

If that bit was easy then maybe we could get some basic VOIP phones (I
see the office type are quite cheap, especially second hand) and plug
them into the router(s)?

Cheers, T i m
Old September 29th 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:40:34 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:32:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.

I know they sold lines with outbound calls barred, but that's not quite
the same thing, is it different now?

I'm also with AAISP for broadband, and have one of the their "copper pair only"
lines. This has a phone number assigned to it by BT, but it doesn't accept
incoming calls and one can't make outgoing calls either - so it's pretty close
to Naked DSL.

I guess BT need the pair to be associated with a phone number, even though it
wastes a number.

I think that's what daughter has and yes, it does seem a bit wasteful
eh?

Cheers, T i m
Old September 29th 19, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 13:49:41 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Hi,

Daughter has a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service
with it. Like many people today she does all her 'telephoning' via her
mobile.

However, there are times when for one reason we can't get hold of her
via her mobile (it's gone flat or she's left it on silent by mistake)
, 'another' form of communication would be handy, ideally something
that would ring like an old landline phone and get her attention etc.

Now I have a Fritzbox router with two Sipgate lines that say their
still connected but haven't been used for years so I have (had) a bit
of an idea about all this but am now very much out of touch as to how
best to get something like this together for the minimum of cost
(especially ongoing costs etc).

So, keeping it simple and flexible, I was wondering about using
something like a Google Home Mini or a (headless) Raspberry Pi as the
W/LAN to possibly USB interface and either some dedicated VOIP type
software or just something like Skype and USB handset?

Ideally though it would be able to be used just like / from a phone.
It wouldn't be used for emergencies as such, just like a hotline to
run beside a mobile.

Buying some basic kit to get started would be ok, as would a *very*
small annual / monthly fee but would prefer a call charge of some sort
for the odd time it might be used.

Ideally it also wants to be able to make and receive calls.

So, any thoughts and suggestions that fit the above welcomed please.
;-)

Cheers, T i m

If you both get a Voipfone account, you can ring each other for free from soft / IP phones or from anywhere using the 0560 xxxxxxx number provided.
Old September 29th 19, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

Bob Eager wrote:

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.

I know they sold lines with outbound calls barred, but that's not quite
the same thing, is it different now?

It doesn't give dial tione, and I have no incoming number for it. I just
pay a much lower line rental.
Old September 29th 19, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 16:14:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm also with AAISP for broadband, and have one of the their "copper
pair only"
lines. This has a phone number assigned to it by BT, but it doesn't
accept incoming calls and one can't make outgoing calls either - so
it's pretty close to Naked DSL.

thanks, is there a dialling tone? (if not beware Kelly/Quinn)

It has a recording on it so that the line isn't Kelly'd or Quinn'd
Old September 29th 19, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

wrote:

T i m wrote:

Maybe she has a phone number / line but just hasn't got a phone

take one round when you visit, and try calling 17070

Well, I'm pretty sure she has DECT phone round there because it was
her sisters before she took the flat over but I remember her saying
something about why she could no longer use it (didn't sign up for
it). Right, I've just Whatsapped her and apparently she was given a
landline *number* but she didn't take up the Landline package so it
'doesn't work'. I'll check just how much does or doesn't work when I
go there next.

On Plusnet I think it would mean you pay a lot for making calls, *not*
that the landline won't work.

--
Chris Green

Old September 29th 19, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

The OP says he has two Sipgate lines on his Fritzbox. Are they both in
use? If not then get a ATA off eBay, set it up as one of the lines,
connect it to daughter's network and plug a phone into it. Call her from
the other Sipgate line as Sipgate to Sipgate calls are free. Most ATA's
contain a router but they will work equally well on a dead-end
connection off her ISP router.

Alternatively get a Sipphone off eBay - preferably not a Cisco as they
are pigs to program - and use it instead of the ATA.

Finally, let her get her own Sipgate Basic line. It comes with a number
and she can receive calls on it but, as above, can only call out to
other Sipgate lines unless she adds some credit to the account.

There is stacks of technical help on the Sipgate web site on how to set
up an ATA or a Sipphone.

I had exactly the same issue with my late f-in-l who sometimes forgot to
terminate his calls and for some reason the exchange didn't disconnect.
He had a BT B/B service so I bought a Panasonic office phone off eBay
and set it up. Whilst it worked perfectly it did sometimes ring for no
reason and I'm sure that was a phone issue. I've got a Sipgate line here
and have never had a moments bother in over a decade.

Daughter only uses a mobile. She has VM broadband but for some reasons
gets loads of scam/spam calls so she doesn't have a phone connected. We
had the same issue as I was not then (before I retired) using my own
mobile so if SWMBO wanted to call daughter it cost about 15p connection
and 12p/m on BT landline. I set up a Sipgate account for her with a
local number and it worked a treat, but after I got my own mobile with
unlimited calls they ditched it so now I have three (well, four
actually) Sipgate lines only two of which are in use (one is on my
mobile) but all four of which work.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 29th 19, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

T i m wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure she has DECT phone round there because it was
her sisters before she took the flat over but I remember her saying
something about why she could no longer use it (didn't sign up for
it). Right, I've just Whatsapped her and apparently she was given a
landline *number* but she didn't take up the Landline package so it
'doesn't work'. I'll check just how much does or doesn't work when I
go there next.

I'm still doubtful. Plusnet *are* BT, and BT have no incentive to
provide an ADSL only service. They'd dearly love you to make some calls,
so they can soak up the 20p/call connection charges and 13p/min rate to
landlines (or whatever they are trying to get away with this week).

Another possibility, especially in older houses / HMOs / flats / etc is
there's several layers of historical phone wiring (GPO, BT, Virgin) and some
of the sockets don't work.

Anyway (to get back to the point g) who are we currently using as a
VOIP provider where you can use it like a real landline, the 'rental'
costs are nill / minimum but there may be a bit more cost in the
usage?

AAISP is 1.20 per number per month, call costs are ok (although you can go
lower elsewhere), generally better than landline providers out of bundle
costs. Calls from one AAISP number to another are free.

If that bit was easy then maybe we could get some basic VOIP phones (I
see the office type are quite cheap, especially second hand) and plug
them into the router(s)?

Or run a VOIP app on your laptop/smartphone, to a hard VOIP phone at the
other end.

Theo
Old September 29th 19, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

wrote:

T i m wrote:

Maybe she has a phone number / line but just hasn't got a phone

take one round when you visit, and try calling 17070

Well, I'm pretty sure she has DECT phone round there because it was
her sisters before she took the flat over but I remember her saying
something about why she could no longer use it (didn't sign up for
it). Right, I've just Whatsapped her and apparently she was given a
landline *number* but she didn't take up the Landline package so it
'doesn't work'. I'll check just how much does or doesn't work when I
go there next.

On Plusnet I think it would mean you pay a lot for making calls, *not*
that the landline won't work.

Hmm, I just pinged her and she suggests the telephone package was
*another* 6/m or somesuch, plus call charges potentially and she
chose to up her mobile phone package a bit instead.

Mind you, there was a lot going on at that time ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Old September 29th 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On 29 Sep 2019 20:53:53 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure she has DECT phone round there because it was
her sisters before she took the flat over but I remember her saying
something about why she could no longer use it (didn't sign up for
it). Right, I've just Whatsapped her and apparently she was given a
landline *number* but she didn't take up the Landline package so it
'doesn't work'. I'll check just how much does or doesn't work when I
go there next.

I'm still doubtful. Plusnet *are* BT, and BT have no incentive to
provide an ADSL only service.

Well, possibly but if someone says they don't want it, won't use it or
won't have a handset connected, what would they do?

They'd dearly love you to make some calls,
so they can soak up the 20p/call connection charges and 13p/min rate to
landlines (or whatever they are trying to get away with this week).

Sure.

Another possibility, especially in older houses / HMOs / flats / etc is
there's several layers of historical phone wiring (GPO, BT, Virgin) and some
of the sockets don't work.

In this case her sister had (and used) a landline for years and it was
working when she took the flat over so not that. Although, like many
it was being used less and less as they were able to get cheaper /
inclusive mobile phone contracts.

Anyway (to get back to the point g) who are we currently using as a
VOIP provider where you can use it like a real landline, the 'rental'
costs are nill / minimum but there may be a bit more cost in the
usage?

AAISP is 1.20 per number per month, call costs are ok (although you can go
lower elsewhere), generally better than landline providers out of bundle
costs.

OK. Well it would sort of only be there for those 'odd occasions'
(like someone falling asleep, their mobile going flat and someone
worrying about them not responding to their mobile etc, especially if
there are reasons why it could be more than just a phone going flat
etc).

Calls from one AAISP number to another are free.

Ah, now that could be (especially) handy Theo so I'll check them out.
So, as they both already have BB, they would just need a VOIP box and
std wired or cordless phone (something with a loud ringer g) or a
VOIP phone of some sort (ideally cordless for flexibility).

If that bit was easy then maybe we could get some basic VOIP phones (I
see the office type are quite cheap, especially second hand) and plug
them into the router(s)?

Or run a VOIP app on your laptop/smartphone, to a hard VOIP phone at the
other end.

Sure, that would be ok if only one 'end' needed the facility. To be
clearer, we have two different 'ends' here that could do with this
sort of parallel connection and they might also like talking to each
other now and again (especially if it's free / included). ;-)

'Kids' eh. ;-)

Cheers, T i m