Lowest cost VOIP solution?

Old September 29th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default Lowest cost VOIP solution?

Hi,

Daughter has a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service
with it. Like many people today she does all her 'telephoning' via her
mobile.

However, there are times when for one reason we can't get hold of her
via her mobile (it's gone flat or she's left it on silent by mistake)
, 'another' form of communication would be handy, ideally something
that would ring like an old landline phone and get her attention etc.

Now I have a Fritzbox router with two Sipgate lines that say their
still connected but haven't been used for years so I have (had) a bit
of an idea about all this but am now very much out of touch as to how
best to get something like this together for the minimum of cost
(especially ongoing costs etc).

So, keeping it simple and flexible, I was wondering about using
something like a Google Home Mini or a (headless) Raspberry Pi as the
W/LAN to possibly USB interface and either some dedicated VOIP type
software or just something like Skype and USB handset?

Ideally though it would be able to be used just like / from a phone.
It wouldn't be used for emergencies as such, just like a hotline to
run beside a mobile.

Buying some basic kit to get started would be ok, as would a *very*
small annual / monthly fee but would prefer a call charge of some sort
for the odd time it might be used.

Ideally it also wants to be able to make and receive calls.

So, any thoughts and suggestions that fit the above welcomed please.
;-)

Cheers, T i m

Old September 29th 19, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

T i m wrote:

a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service

How? Last I knew, nobody sold 'naked DSL' ...
Old September 29th 19, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:00:58 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

T i m wrote:

a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service

How? Last I knew, nobody sold 'naked DSL' ...

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.
Old September 29th 19, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

wrote:

T i m wrote:

a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service

How? Last I knew, nobody sold 'naked DSL' ...

Erm, I dunno Andy, that's just what I understood from what she told
me?

Maybe she has a phone number / line but just hasn't got a phone (but
there was one).

The same sort of scenario applies to another friend of her who has
broadband but no landline phone where some form of basic VOIP phone
could be handy (save us driving for 3 hours last night to make sure
they were ok).

I'm pretty sure both would have a real telephone if it was simply a
matter of plugging one in?

Cheers, T i m
Old September 29th 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

T i m wrote:

a BT line and Plusnet broadband but no telephone service

How? Last I knew, nobody sold 'naked DSL' ...

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.

That's what I understood was the situation in both the cases I'm
referencing Bob. I'm pretty sure both would have std phones plugged in
if the option was available, but since 99.9% of their voice activity
is via their mobiles, I can see why they wouldn't bother (paying the
extra) to get a landline number / service if it cost more, over the
bit they can't live without, 'Internet'. ;-)

We still have our old BT Line / number / 18185 but rarely use it for
outgoing calls. It's mainly used by my Mum (ironically, her BT lines
phone is also on our 18185 account so we pay for her calls to us (and
everyone etc)!). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Old September 29th 19, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Bob Eager wrote:

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.

I know they sold lines with outbound calls barred, but that's not quite
the same thing, is it different now?

Old September 29th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

T i m wrote:

Maybe she has a phone number / line but just hasn't got a phone

take one round when you visit, and try calling 17070
Old September 29th 19, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:32:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I have AAISP broadband and a rent a line from them with no telephone
service on it.

I know they sold lines with outbound calls barred, but that's not quite
the same thing, is it different now?

I'm also with AAISP for broadband, and have one of the their "copper pair only"
lines. This has a phone number assigned to it by BT, but it doesn't accept
incoming calls and one can't make outgoing calls either - so it's pretty close
to Naked DSL.
I guess BT need the pair to be associated with a phone number, even though it
wastes a number.

Old September 29th 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm also with AAISP for broadband, and have one of the their "copper pair only"
lines. This has a phone number assigned to it by BT, but it doesn't accept
incoming calls and one can't make outgoing calls either - so it's pretty close
to Naked DSL.

thanks, is there a dialling tone? (if not beware Kelly/Quinn)
Old September 29th 19, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 16:14:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm also with AAISP for broadband, and have one of the their "copper pair only"
lines. This has a phone number assigned to it by BT, but it doesn't accept
incoming calls and one can't make outgoing calls either - so it's pretty close
to Naked DSL.

thanks, is there a dialling tone? (if not beware Kelly/Quinn)

Nope, if you plug a phone in and go off-hook then there's a recorded message
from Adrian Kennard telling you to push off.