VoIP over mobile phone network ?

Old October 22nd 19, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

Default VoIP over mobile phone network ?

If one installs a softphone on a mobile phone handset, how well does
it work ? In particular, what happens with cell handover ?

I've done occasional use (in fact with a tablet and a MiFi), but only
in a static location.

From what A&A say on
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/sip2sim/
it sounds like it could be aggro and grief.

Andrew

Old October 22nd 19, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Tue 22/10/2019 13:00, Andrew Benham wrote:
If one installs a softphone on a mobile phone handset, how well does
it work ? In particular, what happens with cell handover ?

I've done occasional use (in fact with a tablet and a MiFi), but only
in a static location.

From what A&A say on
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/sip2sim/
it sounds like it could be aggro and grief.

Andrew

I'm on GiffGaff and have VoIP accounts with with voip.co.uk and Sipgate
on my phone and both work without problem. Never tried it moving......

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 22nd 19, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex James

On 22/10/2019 13:00, Andrew Benham wrote:
If one installs a softphone on a mobile phone handset, how well does
it work ? In particular, what happens with cell handover ?

I've done occasional use (in fact with a tablet and a MiFi), but only
in a static location.

From what A&A say on
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/sip2sim/
it sounds like it could be aggro and grief.

Andrew

A lot of the time it works well. When driving it sometimes does drop
out, but so does pure mobile.
Old October 23rd 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 13:00:43 UTC+1, Andrew Benham wrote:
If one installs a softphone on a mobile phone handset, how well does
it work ? In particular, what happens with cell handover ?

I've done occasional use (in fact with a tablet and a MiFi), but only
in a static location.

From what A&A say on
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/sip2sim/
it sounds like it could be aggro and grief.

Andrew

First worked for me [accidentally] on a bus in 2009.

Many recent phones support Voip native, although sometimes need configuration support e.g: -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...axysipsettings

after which the phone will directly support Voip both incoming and outgoing, although dual SIM phones still need the app for outgoing as you only get a choice of two.

Audio quality is usually better than GSM, however in marginal coverage (Wi-Fi or 3/4/5G) there can be jitter because voice traffic gets priority.

If you are moving the hand off is not as slick.

Voip will not generally work over GPRS or Edge (2.5 / 2.75G).