A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 15th 19, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

--
Chris Green
·
  #2  
Old December 15th 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pancho
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

On 15/12/2019 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

These are handsets, not base stations.

Base stations are something like gigaset n300 or n510. The n300 seems to
be cheaper and allow you to connect to a landline, or not. I'm not sure
why anyone would buy the n510.

I think the handsets are largely interoperable with the different base
stations. In fact any dect gap handset should work.


I
  #3  
Old December 15th 19, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

On 15/12/2019 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?


Not sure specifically but I've changed out the home and the work S685IP
base stations for "Go-Box 100" bases after they packed up.
The original S685IP handsets still work but some of the advanced
features require more up-to-date handsets.

I've also used a spare go-box-100 and connected 4 x Gigaset "big"
handsets but the handsets are very limited in thier menus and aren't
configuable to use things like network mailboxes etc and you need to
still use more base-specific handsets to remove already registered handsets.

So yes, things are interchangeable but make sure you have an original
handset that is matched to the base to ensure you can remove registered
handsets/slots. That was the only bit I found had the potential to cause
problems but a factory reset will free-up some spaces to re-register an
appropriate matched handset.




  #4  
Old December 15th 19, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

Pancho wrote:
On 15/12/2019 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

These are handsets, not base stations.

No they're not, they're VOIP enabled base stations. When I connect to
the one here (I'm on the boat at the moment) it's headed:-

Gigaset S685 IP

--
Chris Green
·
  #5  
Old December 15th 19, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pancho
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

On 15/12/2019 14:58, Chris Green wrote:
Pancho wrote:
On 15/12/2019 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

These are handsets, not base stations.

No they're not, they're VOIP enabled base stations. When I connect to
the one here (I'm on the boat at the moment) it's headed:-

Gigaset S685 IP

My apologies, you are correct, I got confused.

I actually have an s685ip and also an n300ip.

Functionally they are very similar, I just did a quick comparison of the
admin menus and apart from a slight cosmetic change in format I couldn't
see any significant differences. I think my s685ip has answer phone and
my n300ip doesn't.

I actually thought the voip and web interface on my s685ip had died,
months ago, but it appears to have come back to life.
  #6  
Old December 16th 19, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

Pancho wrote:
On 15/12/2019 14:58, Chris Green wrote:
Pancho wrote:
On 15/12/2019 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

These are handsets, not base stations.

No they're not, they're VOIP enabled base stations. When I connect to
the one here (I'm on the boat at the moment) it's headed:-

Gigaset S685 IP

My apologies, you are correct, I got confused.

I actually have an s685ip and also an n300ip.

Functionally they are very similar, I just did a quick comparison of the
admin menus and apart from a slight cosmetic change in format I couldn't
see any significant differences. I think my s685ip has answer phone and
my n300ip doesn't.

I actually thought the voip and web interface on my s685ip had died,
months ago, but it appears to have come back to life.


Yes, I could see very little difference between the S685IP web pages
and the C460IP ones. That's sort of why I asked the question, just in
case there is a significant difference.

--
Chris Green
·
  #7  
Old December 16th 19, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 683
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

On Sunday, 15 December 2019 10:33:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

--
Chris Green
·


C460IP - 1 landline, 1 Voip connection, 1 Voip account, 6 handsets
C475IP - 1 landline, 2 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets
N300 - 1 landline, 3 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets
N300A - 1 landline, 3 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets, TAM [in base]]
A510 - 0 landline, 4 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets, PoE

Currently have, or have access to all but N300.

Sadly I do not know exactly what the S685IP does, but Googling reveales what it was a combined handset and base station package and the base station appears to have the same functionality as the C475IP with a TAM in the handset, so it will be an easy replacement for the C460IP, you can put both numbers on it and connect [up to 5 of] your current handsets.




Full description (from Amazon)

Manufacturer's Description
With cutting-edge Bluetooth wireless technology and an integrated answering machine, the Gigaset S685 IP offers you the very best in style and convenience. Thanks to High Definition Sound Performance (HDSP), you can experience Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), or internet telephony, in twice the clarity of a normal phone call. Other Next Generation benefits include free info screensavers that bring you RSS feeds and weather forecasts as well as access to an online phonebook directly from your handset. The phone also offers you the convenience of e-mail notification, which means you can find out the time, date and subject of new messages without having to open your e-mail account. With Bluetooth and Gigaset QuickSync software, you can also enjoy instant synchronization of your personal address book between your handset and PC. This phone even features energy-saving ECO DECT technology that makes calling better for the environment - and more cost-effective for you. The Gigaset S685 IP Bluetooth® phone with answering machine lets you make IP and fixed-line calls while enjoying the very latest in design and technology.

When you think Bluetooth, you naturally think wireless. But what exactly are the wireless conveniences you can enjoy with your home telephone? There's the freedom of talking with a wireless headset, of course, but there's also something even better - a quick and easy way to transfer vCard contacts to or from your cellphone and PDA with Bluetooth technology. If you have Microsoft Outlook, you can even synchronize the data on your PC with your handset using our free Gigaset QuickSync software. And of course this wireless technology also lets you download screensavers and Picture CLIP images.

You'll never miss another important call thanks to this phone's integrated answering machine featuring up to 30 minutes of recording time. New messages are displayed on the phone's handset, so you'll know someone tried to reach you even if you're away from the base station. You can also easily keep track of who called and when because the Gigaset S685 IP announces the date and time of new messages by voice. For added convenience you can operate the machine via the handset, so you can check up on new messages from wherever you are in your house. If you're away from home this phone will even alert you when you receive a new message via SMS¹. When that happens, you can use the remote playback function to access that message no matter where you are.

The Gigaset S685 IP makes it easy to stay connected with friends and family trying to reach you. Thanks to its handy e-mail notification feature you'll receive a message on the color display letting you know the time, date and subject of any new e-mails you receive - without having to access your e-mail account.

Experience even greater calling clarity when you make a VoIP call over the internet. The Gigaset S685 IP supports High Definition Sound Performance. This audiosuperior wideband audio quality lets you hear every inflection in the other person's voice when they speak. Call anyone else with an HDSP capable phone via your broadband connection, and enjoy conversations in twice the quality of a normal phone call¹. Hear the difference yourself by visiting gigaset-sound.com

Explore the world around you from the comfort of your own phone. The Gigaset S685 IP lets you enjoy free access to an online phonebook directly from your handset. That means you can quickly find any number you need (Chinese take-away, auto repair shop …) and call straight away. Plus, the free info services available through Gigaset.net Info Center put weather forecasts and RSS feeds from your favorite websites right onto your handset via the info screensaver. That's what we mean by Next Generation communication convenience.

Your world's at your fingertips with Gigaset.net There's no quicker way to start phoning with your loved ones over the internet than with Gigaset.net . Purchase the Gigaset S685 IP phone and you'll automatically become a member of this exclusive Gigaset IP network community. That means you'll be able to make Voice over IP calls to anyone else with a Gigaset IP phone - anywhere and anytime for free - and you won't even need an account with a VoIP provider. What's more, you'll be able to access free subscription services such as RSS feeds and weather information directly via your Gigaset handset.

The Gigaset S685 IP lets you easily switch between internet and fixed-line phoning at the touch of a button - so you can effortlessly choose the type of phoning that suits you best. With extra handsets you can even experience the convenience of parallel calling - letting you enjoy up to 2 internet calls and 1 fixed-line call at the same time.

Thanks to an energy-saving power supply, ECO DECT phones use up to 60% less energy than our conventional cordless phones. Like all Gigaset cordless phones, ECO DECT models also variably reduce transmitting power from the handset to base station according to their distance apart - but go further in a number of other ways. Choosing ECO Mode on selected models reduces the base station's transmission power by 80%. When docked, some ECO DECT phones also reduce the transmitting power of both handset and base station to almost zero.

The Gigaset S685 IP with High Definition Sound Performance offers you all the advantages of dual-mode telephony and Bluetooth - plus the added benefit of an integrated answering machine. Phoning over the internet has never been more stylish.

Box Contains
Base station
Mains adapter
Gigaset handset
Phone cord
Batteries
Battery cover
User Guide
  #8  
Old December 16th 19, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default Differences (or not) between Gigaset C460IP and S685IP

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 15 December 2019 10:33:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
We have a C460IP based DECT phone system at home and an S685IP on our
boat which is virtually unsed now (the phone, not the boat). The
C460IP has been playing up somewhat recently and I was wondering if I
might take the S685IP home and see if that sorts things out.

What I can't find anywhere is a simple outline of the differences
between the various Gigaset base stations, can anyone point me at one?
Or, alternatively, can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any?

--
Chris Green
·


C460IP - 1 landline, 1 Voip connection, 1 Voip account, 6 handsets
C475IP - 1 landline, 2 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets
N300 - 1 landline, 3 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets
N300A - 1 landline, 3 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets, TAM [in base]]
A510 - 0 landline, 4 Voip connections, 6 Voip accounts, 6 handsets, PoE

Currently have, or have access to all but N300.

Sadly I do not know exactly what the S685IP does, but Googling reveales
what it was a combined handset and base station package and the base station
appears to have the same functionality as the C475IP with a TAM in the
handset, so it will be an easy replacement for the C460IP, you can put
both numbers on it and connect [up to 5 of] your current handsets.

Thanks Mark, that's just the sort of information I was after.

--
Chris Green
·
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siemans Gigaset S685ip firmware still duff and useless. www.GymRatZ.co.uk uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 35 November 27th 08 08:41 PM
Siemens Gigaset S685IP and VOIP problems Lobster uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 11 September 30th 08 03:27 PM
Siemens Gigaset S685IP VOIP phone problems Lobster uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 25 August 26th 08 11:27 AM
Siemens Gigaset C460IP - can it route PSTN calls to VoiP Linker3000 uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 May 23rd 07 05:20 PM
differences between branded PCI wireless network cards? Vijay uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 February 3rd 05 09:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.