Are Time Delays Typical on VOIP?

Old January 27th 20, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_5_]

Default Are Time Delays Typical on VOIP?

On 12 Jan 2020 22:00:12 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 21:00:42 +0000, Richmond wrote:

When I have used VOIP, or skype etc I've found time delays of a second
or so. These cause people to interrupt each other. They also occur on
mobiles to some extent. I think the landline will never die. Is there
VOIP without delays? does it require a dedicated network?

We are all VoIP here, and I can't say I have ever noticed that.

The only time I notice it is when bridging two or more legs of a call.
Doesn't NAT tend to prevent directmedia working?

Also if one or both of the endpoints are mobiles, that adds to the
cumulative delay.

Old January 30th 20, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

Peter writes:

The VOIP we have (with Andrews & Arnold) is crystal clear and with no
visible delay. Admittedly we are on FTTP (not FTTC) and I had that
done before we dropped the ISDN2 and the 22 year old Siemens PBX We
waited 1.5 years for FTTP, most of which was BT waiting for a
permission to dig up the road.

I wondered if it was about my internet connection. I have copper wires
going all the way to the exchange, which is about 1KM away. It's about
13Mbps download and 0.9Mbps upload, according to speedtest.net. I would
have thought it was plenty for a telephone call. (There is a ping speed
of 78 milliseconds on speedtest.net. Maybe that is the delay?).

Or maybe I should not use wifi or homeplugs?