banned list

Old January 30th 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

Default banned list

apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get
off this list.
Old January 30th 20, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 30/01/2020 15:43, critcher wrote:
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get
off this list.

Use a different news server - such as Eternal September.

Are you sure that you are not just banned by one user? I don't know of
any banning system but doubtless I will be corrected shortly!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 30th 20, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 30/01/2020 15:43, critcher wrote:

apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get
off this list.

What server are you using to post via, and when did this happen? Do you
know of any legitimate reason why you should have been banned, for
example trolling the ng, flooding it with OT spam, etc? There's a
totally unacceptable amount of that happening in that ng currently, but
I'm not aware of you being an offender. If you think you're innocent of
any such behaviour, then you could try writing to the abuse email
address for the server you use to post, and ask for an explanation.
Usually it will be of the standard form ...
[email protected] name
.... though you may get an automatic reply telling you that the address
is not monitored, but hopefully if you do it will tell you how to submit
a complaint.
Old January 30th 20, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 30/01/2020 15:43, critcher wrote:
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get
off this list.

Apologise to the sysop of AIOE or post through a different server.

He does sometimes ban all posting to certain fractious groups full oof
flame wars once including uk.rec.gardening for no apparent reason. I
have never known him ban an individual unless they were causing trouble
or suspected of spamming newsgroups.

Making more than a certain number of newsgroup posts in a day will get
you a 24 hour ban on AIOE, but the limit is quite high and usually only
a problem for spammers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 30th 20, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_3_]

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 17:08:27 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 30/01/2020 15:43, critcher wrote:
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get
off this list.

Apologise to the sysop of AIOE or post through a different server.

He does sometimes ban all posting to certain fractious groups full oof
flame wars once including uk.rec.gardening for no apparent reason. I
have never known him ban an individual unless they were causing trouble
or suspected of spamming newsgroups.

Making more than a certain number of newsgroup posts in a day will get
you a 24 hour ban on AIOE, but the limit is quite high and usually only
a problem for spammers.

He can't ban individuals because it is an open server.
I've just made a test post to that group from aioe and
it failed, so it looks like the aioe newsmaster has
banned all posting to that group.
Sledgehammer - nut.
Old January 30th 20, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 30/01/2020 17:20, Steve wrote:

[...]

OK. That sort of makes sense. ISTR that happened to u.r.g too.

But if you post more than 40 messages a day you will get a temporary ban
until your IP address changes or 24 hours elapse.
(whichever happens soonest)

http://news.aioe.org/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 31st 20, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 30/01/2020 17:31, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

but plenty of others are posting on there, so it can't be an all
inclusive post ban.
Thanks for the replies and help.
Old January 31st 20, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 31/01/2020 15:53, critcher wrote:

but plenty of others are posting on there, so it can't be an all
inclusive post ban.
Thanks for the replies and help.

It's AIOE that has closed posting (or as they say; 'banned') to
uk.tech.digital.tv to its subscribers.

Subscribe to another Usenet server, and there's no problem

Old February 2nd 20, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 31/01/2020 16:21, Mark Carver wrote:
On 31/01/2020 15:53, critcher wrote:

but plenty of others are posting on there, so it can't be an all
inclusive post ban.
Thanks for the replies and help.

It's AIOE that has closed posting (or as they say; 'banned') to
uk.tech.digital.tv to its subscribers.

Subscribe to another Usenet server, and there's no problem

ok thanks Mark and others.
Old February 2nd 20, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 02/02/2020 18:45, critcher wrote:
On 31/01/2020 16:21, Mark Carver wrote:
On 31/01/2020 15:53, critcher wrote:

but plenty of others are posting on there, so it can't be an all
inclusive post ban.
Thanks for the replies and help.

It's AIOE that has closed posting (or as they say; 'banned') to
uk.tech.digital.tv to its subscribers.

Subscribe to another Usenet server, and there's no problem

ok thanks Mark and others.

Used freenews.netfront.net, and still on banned list from that server.