John Lewis broadband service.

Old February 13th 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson[_2_]

Default John Lewis broadband service.

In message , Recliner
writes
Tim+ wrote:
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
"Tufnell Park" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

I'm with them for telephone too.

You'll find that if there's an issue with not seeing all the posts
on a news
group server they won't want to know. They seem to have Chinese walls
between their own PlusNet operation and their John Lewis client. I have an
issue at the moment where I can see posts using eternal-september that have
not come through on the John Lewis one.

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them. I
would regard an ISP provided new server as an unexpected bonus. It
certainly wouldn't influence my choice of ISP.

Yes, I was surprised to see that. When BT did offer a bundled news server,
it was actually Giganews. That arrangement stopped in 2014.

If JL is actually Plusnet, yes - PlusNet have a news server.
--
Ian
Old February 13th 20, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Tim+ wrote:

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them.

I should think they outsource to giganews, like plusnet does?
Old February 13th 20, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them.

I should think they outsource to giganews, like plusnet does?

I think you are right. I carried it over from my Waitrose contract to John
Lewis.

MJ

Old February 14th 20, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 13/02/2020 18:56, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them.

I should think they outsource to giganews, like plusnet does?

I think you are right. I carried it over from my Waitrose contract to John
Lewis.

Yes, outsourced to Giganews.

Old February 20th 20, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks[_2_]

o.uk...
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them.

I should think they outsource to giganews, like plusnet does?

I think you are right. I carried it over from my Waitrose contract to
John
Lewis.

Yes, outsourced to Giganews.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Do Plusnet have a system of asking Giganews to investigate if posts do not
appear on their server, when they have appeared on e.g. the
eternal-september newsgroup server? [Say if this post didn't appear for me
on this Giganews hosted server but I could see it on eternal-september.]

MJ

Old March 6th 20, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them.

I should think they outsource to giganews, like plusnet does?

I think you are right. I carried it over from my Waitrose contract to
John
Lewis.

Yes, outsourced to Giganews.

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Do Plusnet have a system of asking Giganews to investigate if posts do not
appear on their server, when they have appeared on e.g. the
eternal-september newsgroup server? [Say if this post didn't appear for me
on this Giganews hosted server but I could see it on eternal-september.]

Yes, we do. Not many will be aware of the process these days though, nor
what Usenet even is!

I suspect the reason you're asking has something to do with a support
ticket that I've been approached about recently