John Lewis broadband service.

Old February 12th 20, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Default John Lewis broadband service.

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta
Old February 12th 20, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill[_2_]

On 12/02/2020 14:37, Tufnell Park wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

As far as I know it's re-badged Plusnet.

Old February 12th 20, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Wed 12/02/2020 15:07, Mark Undrill wrote:
On 12/02/2020 14:37, Tufnell Park wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

As far as I know it's re-badged Plusnet.

Correct.

Depends if you want something fast and cheap or something fast that will
get fixed quick if it goes wrong and where the price doesn't keep
rising. If the latter then have a look at Zen.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old February 12th 20, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 12/02/2020 15:07, Mark Undrill wrote:

On 12/02/2020 14:37, Tufnell Park wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

As far as I know it's re-badged Plusnet.

It is. They were my last landline broadband provider, and if you look
back through the postings here - for a thread entitled: The John Lewis
Broadband Fiasco (was "Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband
giants") - you'll discover why I can't possibly recommend them. In
short, they're another of these landline providers that hike your
monthly fee by 50% the moment your contract expires - same costs to
them, same service to you, but for no justifiable reason at all, 50%
more in fees to them. I always leave when services do that to me, so I
left JLB the same way as I'd left Plusnet and Tentel beforehand, and now
I'm on a mobile internet service with Virgin Mobile, for which my first
year contract has just expired, same service, no price hikes, though
there'll be one by the same amount as the RPI increase sometime later in
the year, I can't remember for sure when, possibly April.
Old February 12th 20, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 16:09:04 +0000
Woody wrote:

On Wed 12/02/2020 15:07, Mark Undrill wrote:
On 12/02/2020 14:37, Tufnell Park wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband
service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

As far as I know it's re-badged Plusnet.

Correct.

Depends if you want something fast and cheap or something fast that
will get fixed quick if it goes wrong and where the price doesn't
keep rising. If the latter then have a look at Zen.

Yup. My Zen landline and broadband price have not changed in 10 years,
and the service is great.

And they speak English (well, almost).

--
Davey.
Old February 12th 20, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks[_2_]

"Tufnell Park" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

I'm with them for telephone too.

You'll find that if there's an issue with not seeing all the posts on a news
group server they won't want to know. They seem to have Chinese walls
between their own PlusNet operation and their John Lewis client. I have an
issue at the moment where I can see posts using eternal-september that have
not come through on the John Lewis one. Not interested and giving me the
run around.

MJ

Old February 13th 20, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Woody wrote:
On Wed 12/02/2020 15:07, Mark Undrill wrote:
On 12/02/2020 14:37, Tufnell Park wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

As far as I know it's re-badged Plusnet.

Correct.

Depends if you want something fast and cheap or something fast that will
get fixed quick if it goes wrong and where the price doesn't keep
rising. If the latter then have a look at Zen.

There are a lot of haters of plusnet on here, but I've found them to be
reliable and very good value. Every time I renegotiate my contract it's
cheaper than before. Yes Zen is probably better, but it would have to be to
justify the price.

Old February 13th 20, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 12/02/2020 22:18, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
"Tufnell Park" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

I'm with them for telephone too.

You'll find that if there's an issue with not seeing all the posts on a news
group server they won't want to know. They seem to have Chinese walls
between their own PlusNet operation and their John Lewis client. I have an
issue at the moment where I can see posts using eternal-september that have
not come through on the John Lewis one. Not interested and giving me the
run around.

MJ

Thanks, i'm looking at JL for broadband and phone as they have the
package i want at a reasonable price. I could live with the news group
server issue as i mainly use eternal-september anyway.
Old February 13th 20, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
"Tufnell Park" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

I'm with them for telephone too.

You'll find that if there's an issue with not seeing all the posts on a news
group server they won't want to know. They seem to have Chinese walls
between their own PlusNet operation and their John Lewis client. I have an
issue at the moment where I can see posts using eternal-september that have
not come through on the John Lewis one.

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them. I
would regard an ISP provided new server as an unexpected bonus. It
certainly wouldn't influence my choice of ISP.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 13th 20, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Tim+ wrote:
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
"Tufnell Park" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service?

Good, bad or indifferent?

I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews.

Ta

I'm with them for telephone too.

You'll find that if there's an issue with not seeing all the posts on a news
group server they won't want to know. They seem to have Chinese walls
between their own PlusNet operation and their John Lewis client. I have an
issue at the moment where I can see posts using eternal-september that have
not come through on the John Lewis one.

John Lewis have a news server? I'm amazed. Most ISPs have dropped them. I
would regard an ISP provided new server as an unexpected bonus. It
certainly wouldn't influence my choice of ISP.

Yes, I was surprised to see that. When BT did offer a bundled news server,
it was actually Giganews. That arrangement stopped in 2014.