Changing DNS PTR entries

Old February 14th 20, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:40:10 David Rance wrote:

P.S. UPDATE: While I've been writing this I've just had an email from
IDnet saying that they have made the change! If only I'd known it was
as simple as that! I just made two nslookups: The first seems to have
cached the old data or else it hadn't propagated; the second responded
correctly! I'll probably have to wait for some 24 hours for it to
propagate and then I'll try again to send to my correspondent in Germany.

... which I have now done - and it works! I can now send to all my
correspondents using gmx! Hurrah!

Glad to have helped.

--
Graham J
Old February 14th 20, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

mail.rance.org.uk

The domain name is registered with 123-reg, but the IP address is
provided by IDnet.

i.e. the IP address of your internet connection, and hence your server.

The reverse DNS for the IP address is

static-87-75-116-89.vodafonexdsl.co.uk

that will be the one which other email servers are "complaining" about
not matching forwards and backwards

has the O/P asked vodafone if they'll set a custom rDNS?
Old February 14th 20, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 13/02/2020 14:27, David Rance wrote:
Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR
entry?

Plusnet do (assuming you purchase a static IP).

I have operated my own email server for some ten years now without any
problems but because ESPs are clamping down on spam, etc., they have
brought in draconian rules which are now preventing me from sending mail
to, notably, any gmx accounts. So there are a number of my contacts that
I can now no longer communicate with, simply because they have a gmx
account.

Gmx are using what is said to be a deprecated method of validating
email, i.e. they are checking the reverse DNS (PTR) and which has to
agree with the domain name. 123-reg, who do allow customers to make DNS
changes to their domain, tell me that they don't allow customers to
change the PTR entry and so I'm wondering if there are any other
companies that will allow me to do that.

I've tried putting a PTR entry in the SPF policy but that doesn't work.

I would be grateful for (ahem!) any pointers!

Old February 14th 20, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:35:56 Andy Burns wrote:

Graham J wrote:

mail.rance.org.uk
The domain name is registered with 123-reg, but the IP address is
provided by IDnet.

i.e. the IP address of your internet connection, and hence your
server.

The reverse DNS for the IP address is

static-87-75-116-89.vodafonexdsl.co.uk

Wrong IP address.

Try 212.69.46.133

David

Old February 14th 20, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:58, Graham J wrote:

Probably all this could be managed for you by a competent mail hosting
service. Is there a good reason for having your own server at your
property?

I'll leave David to answer what his reasons are.

For me, I run my own mailserver so I can track mail from my machine to
the recipients server. Using a relay only allows you to see tracking to
the relay server. You have to then blindly trust that it was further
relayed to the recipient.

So do I on a (nearly always) turned on and connected desktop machine.
SMTP is very robust at handling occasional breaks in service. Sending
machines will back off and try again, repeating until sent. Even when
my server was once off for a whole day no mail was lost, it was just
delayed somewhat.

--
Chris Green

Old February 14th 20, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

David Rance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

static-87-75-116-89.vodafonexdsl.co.uk

Wrong IP address.
Try 212.69.46.133

still gives rance.org.uk, rather than mail.rance.org.uk, which I'd
expect to upset mail servers expecting an exact forward/reverse match...

Old February 14th 20, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 19:00:44 Andy Burns wrote:

David Rance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

static-87-75-116-89.vodafonexdsl.co.uk

Wrong IP address.
Try 212.69.46.133

still gives rance.org.uk, rather than mail.rance.org.uk, which I'd
expect to upset mail servers expecting an exact forward/reverse match...

Of course it says rance.org.uk because that's the name of the machine.
That's what I want.

I never mentioned mail.rance.org.uk. Someone else brought that up after
looking at my DNS settings. mail.rance.org.uk is for routing incoming
mail. I have no problem with that. I was asking about *outgoing* mail as
the context of my original mail says.

My original question was very simple. How do I get the reverse DNS to
respond with the name of the machine. That's all. And now I've done it!

David

Old February 14th 20, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:49:29 Chris Green wrote:

Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:58, Graham J wrote:

Probably all this could be managed for you by a competent mail hosting
service. Is there a good reason for having your own server at your
property?

I'll leave David to answer what his reasons are.

For me, I run my own mailserver so I can track mail from my machine to
the recipients server. Using a relay only allows you to see tracking to
the relay server. You have to then blindly trust that it was further
relayed to the recipient.

So do I on a (nearly always) turned on and connected desktop machine.
SMTP is very robust at handling occasional breaks in service. Sending
machines will back off and try again, repeating until sent. Even when
my server was once off for a whole day no mail was lost, it was just
delayed somewhat.

Most servers will try every thirty minutes for six hours before they
give up. That is, genuine servers, not those which spray spam all over
the place.

David

Old February 14th 20, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

David Rance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

static-87-75-116-89.vodafonexdsl.co.uk

Wrong IP address.
Try 212.xx.xx.xxx

still gives rance.org.uk, rather than mail.rance.org.uk, which I'd
expect to upset mail servers expecting an exact forward/reverse match...

In fact, all that is necessary is the domain name. I had read somewhere
that the machine name can be a subdomain and it will still match the
domain in the PTR and go through.

I have just tested this and found it to be correct by changing the
machine name to mail.rance.org.uk while the PTR remains at rance.org.uk,
and gmx.de accepted it with no problem. Look, here is part of the
session log:

20:24:51.078: --- Fri Feb 14 20:24:51 2020 ---
20:24:51.156: Connect to '212.227.17.5:25', timeout 60.
20:24:51.296: 220 gmx.net (mxgmx116) Nemesis ESMTP Service
readycrlf
20:24:51.328: EHLO mail.rance.org.ukcrlf
20:24:51.359: 250-gmx.net Hello mail.rance.org.uk
[212.xx.xx.xxx]crlf
20:24:51.375: 250-8BITMIMEcrlf
20:24:51.390: 250-SIZE 157286400crlf
20:24:51.406: 250 STARTTLScrlf
20:24:51.437: MAIL SIZE=605crlf

whereas, before the PTR was changed and when there wasn't a match, this
is was I got:

20:21:54.625: --- Mon Feb 10 20:21:54 2020 ---
20:21:54.687: Connect to '212.227.17.5:25', timeout 60.
20:21:54.812: 554-gmx.net (mxgmx115) Nemesis ESMTP Service not
availablecrlf
20:21:55.828: 554-No SMTP servicecrlf
20:21:55.843: 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record.crlf

As soon as I connected without a match I immediately got 554 error
codes.

I hope this info will be of use to someone. I should say that I have
changed the machine name back to rance.org.uk.

David

Old February 15th 20, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

David Rance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

still gives rance.org.uk, rather than mail.rance.org.uk, which I'd
expect to upset mail servers expecting an exact forward/reverse match...

In fact, all that is necessary is the domain name. I had read somewhere
that the machine name can be a subdomain and it will still match the
domain in the PTR and go through.

Seems unusual that SMTP servers have got less particular than they used
to be, of course having the word "adsl" or "dynamic" in the rDNS used to
be an absolute no-no.