Changing DNS PTR entries

Old February 13th 20, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR
entry?

I have operated my own email server for some ten years now without any
problems but because ESPs are clamping down on spam, etc., they have
brought in draconian rules which are now preventing me from sending mail
to, notably, any gmx accounts. So there are a number of my contacts that
I can now no longer communicate with, simply because they have a gmx
account.

Gmx are using what is said to be a deprecated method of validating
email, i.e. they are checking the reverse DNS (PTR) and which has to
agree with the domain name. 123-reg, who do allow customers to make DNS
changes to their domain, tell me that they don't allow customers to
change the PTR entry and so I'm wondering if there are any other
companies that will allow me to do that.

I've tried putting a PTR entry in the SPF policy but that doesn't work.

I would be grateful for (ahem!) any pointers!

David

Old February 13th 20, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

David Rance wrote:
[...]

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on your
own premises? And your public IP address is static, and not provided by
123-reg?

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send through
smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come from the
IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be the same as
the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

If this is a MS server they generally call it "smart relay".

--
Graham J
Old February 13th 20, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

David Rance wrote:

Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR
entry?

The only entity which controls the PTR entry, is the one running the
reverse zone for the subnet containing your mail server's IP address,
there are kludgy ways to delegate zones smaller than a class C subnet,
but they are just that.
Old February 13th 20, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS
PTR entry?

Gmx are using what is said to be a deprecated method of
validating email, i.e. they are checking the reverse DNS (PTR)

Reverse DNS does not use a PTR in the forward domain zone, it's a PTR in an IP
address zone, which is controlled by whoever issues the IP addresses, not the
domain name. I have two blocks of addresses, and have zones similar to the
following in my DNS server;

102.146.217.in-addr.arpa.
137 PTR mail.magsys.co.uk.
138 PTR ns1.magsys.co.uk.
139 PTR www.magsys.co.uk.
140 PTR ns2.magsys.co.uk.
141 PTR mail2.magsys.co.uk.

but I have to send them to may ISP who actually controls the IP ranges to be
merged into their DNS records, which is a slow business. So you need a decent
business ISP that allows DNS updates.

Angus

Old February 13th 20, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

I use Zen as my ISP and it's no problem, just ask them. Here's my PTR
for my mailserver as reported by mxtoolbox
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx...networ ktools

Malcolm

---

Old February 13th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:46:00 Graham J wrote:

David Rance wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply, Graham. You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
from the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be
the same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't and
would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

David

Old February 13th 20, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:05:24 Malcolm Loades wrote:

I use Zen as my ISP and it's no problem, just ask them. Here's my PTR
for my mailserver as reported by mxtoolbox
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx...161&run=networ
ktools

Yes, I wondered some years ago whether to go to Zen. That seems to work
for you.

Many thanks for your reply, Malcolm, and those from Andy and Angus.

David

Old February 14th 20, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

David Rance wrote:

[snip]

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on
your own premises?* And your public IP address is static, and not
provided by 123-reg?

Thanks for your reply, Graham.* You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
from the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be
the same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't and
would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

I'm confused.

You have a domain name registered with 123-reg - yes?

You have a website hosted with 123-reg, of the form DavidRance.co.uk -
yes?

I also have some websites hosted with 123-reg and I get 600 free email
addresses, which I can associate with any of my websites. I have their
Linux Starter Hosting for one website and Linux Plus Hosting for
another. This means I have the use of their SMTP server
smtp.123-reg.co.uk - have you checked with 123-reg that you don't have
these free email addresses?

You operate a mail server and at 123-reg there is an MX record pointing
to the IP address of your mail server, so any mail of the form
" is delivered to your mail server - yes? So your
mailserver should be able to send through smtp.123-reg.co.uk using the
name " and the pasword you have set up for that
account.

If I have this wrong, why not talk to the ISP that provides your
internet connection? You may be able to send through their SMTP server
after you have asked them to relay for your email address
" - and they will set up the reverse DNS pointer.
But I am aware that some connectivity providers only offer very basic
email facilities, or sometimes none at all.

--
Graham J
Old February 14th 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:28:52 Graham J wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on
your own premises?* And your public IP address is static, and not
provided by 123-reg?

Thanks for your reply, Graham.* You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be the
same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't
and would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

I'm confused.

You have a domain name registered with 123-reg - yes?

Yes

You have a website hosted with 123-reg, of the form DavidRance.co.uk -
yes?

Well, close! The website is hosted on my machine here. If you are
curious enough to look at it you will see that it is a private site for
local crematorium organists, but don't let that confuse you because it
has nothing to do with the DNS. Neither will you find links to any other
pages. Only registered users can get any further.

I also have some websites hosted with 123-reg and I get 600 free email
addresses, which I can associate with any of my websites. I have their
Linux Starter Hosting for one website and Linux Plus Hosting for
another. This means I have the use of their SMTP server
smtp.123-reg.co.uk - have you checked with 123-reg that you don't have
these free email addresses?

I have no websites with 123.reg so no email addresses.

You operate a mail server and at 123-reg there is an MX record pointing
to the IP address of your mail server, so any mail of the form
" is delivered to your mail server - yes?

nameatrancedotorgdotuk

So your mailserver should be able to send through smtp.123-reg.co.uk
using the name " and the pasword you have set up
for that account.

No, as I have said, I have no access to smtp.123.reg.co.uk because I
have no email account with them. I use a Mercury server with an
end-to-end module which sends directly to the recipients' ISP. So the
receiving end sees that the mail is being sent by rance.org.uk. But when
gmx tries to check the PTR entry, it gets an address from the ISP's
pool, which it interprets as a dynamic IP (which it isn't, of course).

If I have this wrong, why not talk to the ISP that provides your
internet connection? You may be able to send through their SMTP server
after you have asked them to relay for your email address
" - and they will set up the reverse DNS pointer.
But I am aware that some connectivity providers only offer very basic
email facilities, or sometimes none at all.

The domain name is registered with 123-reg, but the IP address is
provided by IDnet. I don't have email facilities with either. As the DNS
has been readdressed to 123-net so that I can change it as needed, I've
naturally thought that the PTR is included but they assure me that it
isn't - or they are unwilling to change it. Maybe I need to get in touch
with IDnet to see if the PTR entry is still configurable by them.
Failing that, I'll need to change my ISP to, say, Zen which Malcolm
recommends.

But thanks for your thoughts. It helps to clarify things in my mind.

David

Old February 14th 20, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:28:52 Graham J wrote:

You operate a mail server and at 123-reg there is an MX record pointing
to the IP address of your mail server, so any mail of the form
" is delivered to your mail server - yes?

I've just realised that you may have done an nslookup look up and found
davidrance.co.uk. You would certainly have been confused because that
isn't me! It looks as though that David Rance (and, despite what looks
like an unusual name, there are many of us!) is registered with GoDaddy.

David