Weak wfi signal

Old February 20th 20, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default Weak wfi signal

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 14:35:30 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

You've given me an earworm :-(

What was the blasted song containing bushels & pecks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTeKfyJkCZQ

Thank you, I need an ear transplant now :-)

Me, too! :-(

Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

Rod.
Old February 20th 20, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

wrote:

You've given me an earworm :-(

What was the blasted song containing bushels & pecks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTeKfyJkCZQ

Thank you, I need an ear transplant now :-)

Me, too! :-(

Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

How lovely to hear remnants of the old dialects.

But surely that seems to be base 5 x 4? (Fingers/thumbs plus toes!)

The French still use base 20 for anything above sixty (quatre-vingts,
quatre-vingt-dix). The French speaking Belgians don't (octante, nonante)

David

Old February 20th 20, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:47:41 -0000, "NY" wrote:

The problem with base 12, 14 and 16, as used for conversion between
imperial
units is how you handle numbers that are two big to be expressed as a
single
digit in decimal. Hexadecimal solves this problem by using letters for
10-15
so you always have one character in one digit position.

That's only a practical problem when using hexadecimal numbering in an
otherwise decimal world. It's not a problem with the properties of the
numbers themselves. If we'd invented hexadecimal numbering first
(perhaps if we'd evolved with eight fingers, or if we'd decided only
to use the ones that weren't thumbs) then the system would have
included six extra symbols, and names, for the extra digits, and we'd
simply have regarded them as numbers like all the rest. We wouldn't
have had to pinch symbols from another system.

Exactly. But at least we'd have *had* those extra six symbols, irrespective
of whether they were unique or alphabetic letters. The problem with
quantities expressed in inches, ounces, pounds etc is that for numbers
larger than 9 they try to cram two (decimal) digits into the space of one
which buggers up the simple tens-and-units carry/borrow-digits techniques
that we are all taught at school for
addition/subtraction/multiplication/division and then use (in the absence of
a calculator!) from then on.

Imagine a hex number that was written as "11 2 3 12" rather than "B23C" ;-)

It doesn't help that most measurement systems change base half-way through:
there are not the same number of pence in a shilling as shillings in a pound
[money], or ounces in a pound [mass] as pounds in a stone. At least binary,
octal and hexadecimal are consistent throughout, even if they are initially
unfamiliar to people who are used to base 10.

What always intrigues me is cultures which have evolved counting in base 20
(eg France's "quatre-vignts" for 80, and various Celtic countries such as
Welsh which use it in some situations). I know we have 20 digits (including
toes) but it suggests that this counting method was set in stone at a time
when most people went around barefoot in order that they could count their
toes as well as their fingers/thumbs.

I remember being shown a method of counting which used the three different
phalanges (bones) in each finger, to give 30 rather than just 10 "fingers"
on which to count. Seemed horrifically complicated. It also requires a
non-arthritic hand to be able to bend *all* the fingers at *every* joint
when distinguishing between a) all three joints in line; b) finger bent at
furthest joint from palm; c) finger bent at closest joint to palm; d) finger
bent at both joints. I've got some fingers which won't bend reliably, so
there'd be a few numbers that I'd have problems rendering unambiguously. ;-)

Old February 20th 20, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

I didn't see the title of this thread and I thought "who's that - the
slightly sneering nose is very familiar". Then I saw it was Jake Thackray
and I could "hear" him even before I played the video, though I've never
heard this song before.

How many singers nowadays would be able to sing this unaccompanied, all in
one take, without a) stumbling over the words, or b) cracking out laughing.
Mind you at 3:38 he takes a longer pause than elsewhere, which is either
brief amnesia, the need to swallow or corpsing-prevention measures ;-)

Old February 20th 20, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

I didn't see the title of this thread and I thought "who's that - the
slightly sneering nose is very familiar". Then I saw it was Jake Thackray
and I could "hear" him even before I played the video, though I've never
heard this song before.

How many singers nowadays would be able to sing this unaccompanied, all in
one take, without a) stumbling over the words, or b) cracking out
laughing. Mind you at 3:38 he takes a longer pause than elsewhere, which
is either brief amnesia, the need to swallow or corpsing-prevention
measures ;-)

It's interesting that Jake Thackray and Alan Bennett were both born at
around the same time in neighbouring districts of Leeds (Kirkstall and
Armley) and yet ended up with such different accents - though both
immediately recognisable and much-imitated. Alan Bennett would probably
attribute it to "much finer distinctions than are allowed by the
sociologists", as in this wonderful quote from him
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137466...f_=tt_ql_trv_4 - his mother
might have graded Jake as "ordinary" or even "the ultimate condemnation,
common".

I can vouch for the fact that it still existed when my parents met in the
early 60s. My mum came from well-to-do Oakwood whereas my dad came from
"common" Morley; my mum's father worked as an insurance loss-adjuster
whereas my dad's father was "only" a teacher - albeit he became a headmaster
by the end. My mum's family definitely looked down on dad's origins when
they first met him.

And that continued even into the 70s - my friend's parents came from
Wortley, another suburb of Leeds, before moving to Oakwood, and his dad was
"only" a printer. I can still remember his parents' Yorshireisms - the
characteristic use of "while" to mean "until" (as in "no, you can't have a
biscuit - wait while teatime") and the grudging back-to-front sentences -
"She's not unintelligent, is our Jane", meaning "Our Jane is very clever".
Odd how hearing a Leeds accent again brings back memories of my mate's mum's
voice (and his mouthed imitation of her behind her back) - "shut the inner
door", "wash your hands - backs *and* fronts". And the standard put-down to
always-hungry lads about waiting while teatime.

Old February 20th 20, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , NY writes
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

I didn't see the title of this thread and I thought "who's that - the
slightly sneering nose is very familiar". Then I saw it was Jake
Thackray and I could "hear" him even before I played the video, though
I've never heard this song before.

How many singers nowadays would be able to sing this unaccompanied, all
in one take, without a) stumbling over the words, or b) cracking out
laughing. Mind you at 3:38 he takes a longer pause than elsewhere,
which is either brief amnesia, the need to swallow or
corpsing-prevention measures ;-)

I have to confess that I was never a great fan of Jake Thackray. I
didn't care much for his lugubrious, gulping way of singing (which
seemed to be sort of a trade mark). However, maybe those YouTube videos
are worthy of another look at his renditions.
--
Ian
Old February 20th 20, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 22:26:04 +0000, Woody
wrote:

Are you sure it is not your phone that is the issue?

Certain. When I run the Asus wifi the Nix picture frame, which is 20ft
away in line of sight, complains of lack of signal.
Old February 20th 20, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article . uk, Paul
Cummins writes
In article ,
(Bob Henson) wrote:

The last thing to go with me was linear measure - I still use feet
and
inches occasionally (usually to explain to another even older
codger what
I'm talking about when I mention metric measure).

I grew up in Decimal Currency, but can still convert Pounds and Ounces,
Metres and Feet, and Frequency and Wavelength on the fly in my head.

But I don't speak Whitworth.

AF?
--
bert
Old February 21st 20, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:50:11 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , NY writes
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

I didn't see the title of this thread and I thought "who's that - the
slightly sneering nose is very familiar". Then I saw it was Jake
Thackray and I could "hear" him even before I played the video, though
I've never heard this song before.

How many singers nowadays would be able to sing this unaccompanied, all
in one take, without a) stumbling over the words, or b) cracking out
laughing. Mind you at 3:38 he takes a longer pause than elsewhere,
which is either brief amnesia, the need to swallow or
corpsing-prevention measures ;-)

I have to confess that I was never a great fan of Jake Thackray. I
didn't care much for his lugubrious, gulping way of singing (which
seemed to be sort of a trade mark). However, maybe those YouTube videos
are worthy of another look at his renditions.

You can easily find the lyrics of most of his songs online, and
observe that they're pure genius even without the music. Many of them
you can just read as poetry.

This is one of my favorites-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PG6sITiNEs

Unfortunately there's a slight glitch in the video recording near the
middle, but it's still brilliant.

"If you must put people on pedestals wear a big hat".

Rod.
Old February 21st 20, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trolleybus

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:50:11 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , NY writes
[...]

By chance I happened upon a BBC4 Extra Great Lives repeat, which was
about Jake. It's an interesting listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042jhlm