Weak wfi signal

Old February 21st 20, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Weak wfi signal

On 18/02/2020 15:25, David Rance wrote:
My family use to call it a threepenny joey. I never found out why. I
still carry an old silver threepenny piece around with me. (No, it's not
for luck!)

Called "joey" after Joseph Hume, MP

Do a Google search.

Old February 21st 20, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , NY writes
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
Now try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

I didn't see the title of this thread and I thought "who's that - the
slightly sneering nose is very familiar". Then I saw it was Jake Thackray
and I could "hear" him even before I played the video, though I've never
heard this song before.

How many singers nowadays would be able to sing this unaccompanied, all in
one take, without a) stumbling over the words, or b) cracking out
laughing. Mind you at 3:38 he takes a longer pause than elsewhere, which
is either brief amnesia, the need to swallow or corpsing-prevention
measures ;-)

I have to confess that I was never a great fan of Jake Thackray. I didn't
care much for his lugubrious, gulping way of singing (which seemed to be
sort of a trade mark). However, maybe those YouTube videos are worthy of
another look at his renditions.

Yes, he's fine in small doses, but he's probably a better songwriter than
performer. There's only so much of the clipped, gulped delivery, with lots
of swallowed syllables that I can take ;-) It's interesting to see how
similar his style of singing is to Frenchmen like Georges Brassins whom he
emulated - that dead-pan, lugubrious delivery.

Old February 21st 20, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
You can easily find the lyrics of most of his songs online, and
observe that they're pure genius even without the music. Many of them
you can just read as poetry.

This is one of my favorites-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PG6sITiNEs

Unfortunately there's a slight glitch in the video recording near the
middle, but it's still brilliant.

"If you must put people on pedestals wear a big hat".

Yes that appealed to my sense of humour, especially in conjunction the "the
bigger and quicker and thicker the bull****e falls".

People like him and Tom Lehrer ("let's poison a pigeon / it just takes a
smidgen") were real wordsmiths.