Weak wfi signal

Old February 17th 20, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

Default Weak wfi signal

The wifi signal on my Asus DSL-AC68U router has become very weak. The
phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but loses the
connection when it is moved further away.
The wifi analyzer app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm. My
back up ISP router, in the same location, will have a signal strength
of -60dBm and its reach extends throughout the house, and probably
reaches a few of the neighbours as well.
The Asus, now several years old, was fine until recently and its
location and configuation have not been changed.
Asus support have no idea what the problem might be but I wondered if
anyone here might have any suggestions. I have tried rebooting,
resetting to factory defaults and changing channels.
TIA
Old February 17th 20, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message
The wifi signal on my Asus DSL-AC68U router has become very weak. The
phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but loses the
connection when it is moved further away.
The wifi analyzer app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm. My
back up ISP router, in the same location, will have a signal strength
of -60dBm and its reach extends throughout the house, and probably
reaches a few of the neighbours as well.
The Asus, now several years old, was fine until recently and its
location and configuation have not been changed.
Asus support have no idea what the problem might be but I wondered if
anyone here might have any suggestions. I have tried rebooting,
resetting to factory defaults and changing channels.

Possibly a bad connection between the transmitter circuit and the internal
or external aerial?

Some routers have an obscure config menu which allows you to vary
transmitter power, though I've never understood why anyone would want
anything except the greatest power possible - unless they want to limit the
overspill to a neighbour's signal.

Old February 17th 20, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but
loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer
app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm

At that sort of distance my phone has the needle rammed hard into the
-40dBm stop at the green end of the scale ...
Old February 17th 20, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 17/02/2020 in message Andy Burns
wrote:

NY wrote:

The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but
loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer
app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm

At that sort of distance my phone has the needle rammed hard into the
-40dBm stop at the green end of the scale ...

I have never been able to understand why it's "-" 40 dBm. Is there an
idiot's guide to how signal strength is measured?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
Old February 17th 20, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

wrote:

NY wrote:

The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but
loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer
app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm

At that sort of distance my phone has the needle rammed hard into the
-40dBm stop at the green end of the scale ...

I have never been able to understand why it's "-" 40 dBm. Is there an
idiot's guide to how signal strength is measured?

Simple really 0dbm is 1 milli watt so -40dbm is 40db less than that
Old February 17th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

NY wrote:

The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but
loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer
app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm

At that sort of distance my phone has the needle rammed hard into the
-40dBm stop at the green end of the scale ...

I have never been able to understand why it's "-" 40 dBm. Is there an
idiot's guide to how signal strength is measured?

Simple really 0dbm is 1 milli watt so -40dbm is 40db less than that

....and every 10dB is a factor of 10 power change, so -40dBm is actually
100nW.
As 0dBm into 50R is 775mV, -75dBm is somewhere around 135uV which is a
thundering great signal.
Are you sure it is not your phone that is the issue?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old February 18th 20, 06:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

Are you sure it is not your phone that is the issue?

It sounds as though his phone hears signals from other routers OK, but
there could be 2.4/5.2 GHz differences going on as well, do other wifi
devices work with the suspect router?
Old February 18th 20, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 22:26:04 +0000, Woody
wrote:

As 0dBm into 50R is 775mV,

I thought 0dBm was 775mV into 600R?

Rod.
Old February 18th 20, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

As 0dBm into 50R is 775mV,

I thought 0dBm was 775mV into 600R?

Rod.

Er (cough) that's what becomes of doing Usenet at night!!
0dBm into 50R is about 243mV, so -75dBm/50 is about 40uV - which is
still relatively large.

Old February 18th 20, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson[_2_]

wrote:

NY wrote:

The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but
loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer
app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm

At that sort of distance my phone has the needle rammed hard into the
-40dBm stop at the green end of the scale ...

I have never been able to understand why it's "-" 40 dBm. Is there an
idiot's guide to how signal strength is measured?

The replies to your message, whilst informative and I'm sure correct
(thanks, chaps!), conclusively prove to this layman that it's one of the
daftest systems of measurement since Avoirdupois weights and the old
British coinage system of pounds, shillings and pence.

I assume it's an attempt to represent an inverse square law in a linear
manner, but I'm no mathematician and/or physicist, so that probably proves
my ignorance totally. In the unlikely event that I am correct, then I stand
by my former incredulity.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the
end.