Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

Old February 23rd 20, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_3_]

Default Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:20:07 +0000, Martyn Barclay
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:57:16 +0000, NY wrote:

snip

We've also got our own domain with email addresses and email server, so
that is independent of ISP.
And of course gmail addresses are ISP-independent.

As are GMX - https://www.gmx.co.uk/
& mail.com - https://www.mail.com

These providers webmail seems to be the same. However,
pop3 and imap are premium features on mail.com and free
on GMX.
Old February 23rd 20, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 17:22:49 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 15:09:15 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I agree - a charge is OK. There are costs (small ones) in providing
storage of the mailbox, and even just forwarding.

The charges being raised in some cases are, however, extortionate.

BT are the worst - 7.50p per month.

To my huge annoyance when I migrated from Business Highway to Business Broadband BT insisted I had a BTConnect email address and pay for continued use of my BTinternet one, which they said was residential even though it had been originally supplied for business use on the same business line and billed in a business phone bill.

I eventually resolved this by migrating the line to residential and reclaiming the BTinternet address as its 'proper' account.

This was many years ago, but amusingly the [now unused] BTConnect is still there and not paid for.
Old February 24th 20, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Java Jive wrote:
On 22/02/2020 15:09, Roger Mills wrote:

On 22/02/2020 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'
[...]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain. Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

Agreed.

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I don't think the idea of charging is unreasonable, it's more the
exorbitant amounts being actually charged that are unreasonable.

If Sky - who have a reputation for charging for everything they can think of -
can provide a "free for life" email address there is really no excuse for
the others (especially BT!)

Old February 24th 20, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

NY wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:

Indeed. Most people, when they take out an ISP account that comes with an
email address, don't think ahead about what to do if they close the account.

It's sometimes not even changing ISP!!!

When Freeserve died Orange (the parent company) kept the email addresses
going for some years - but finally deleted them. I keep having to solve
unexpected ramifications of this - the most recent just last month when
some comapny who I had forgotten I had used the Freeserve address LONG ago
with wanted to email a confirmation there before allowing an email address
change!

Old February 24th 20, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Graham J
writes
Java Jive wrote:

[snip]

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if
it's only a forwarding domain.* Then, even with forwarding only,
they'd only have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

True, but the cost perceived by a naive user wishing to change
connection provider is the inconvenience of the one-time change to
their own domain.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email provider
to offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

Perhaps people should just use gmail.
--
bert
Old February 24th 20, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Roderick
Stewart writes
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 12:21:58 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'
By Dan Whitworth Money Box reporter

Ofcom is writing to broadband companies to ask why some people are
having to pay to keep old email addresses.

TalkTalk charges 5 a month and BT charges 7.50 a month if customers
switch providers but want to keep using their email addresses as before.

Virgin deletes those it gives to customers 90 days after they leave, but
Sky lets people keep theirs for free.

Ofcom told Radio 4's Money Box it could see no reason for what one
customer called "basically daylight robbery".

Ofcom added: "We're looking at this to consider whether we need to step
in and take action."

As the UK's four big providers, BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin supply 90%
of the UK's net-using homes with broadband.

Money Box spoke to one customer who has paid 260 to keep an old address
during the three years since switching from BT."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain. Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

Yes, people would do better than to do almost anything other than pay
these ridiculous fees, but nobody is forced to do so. Email addresses
are available completely free if you're not fussy about exactly what
they are, and all takes is a bit of time and effort to change. Telling
all your friends your new email address is essentially the same as
what people have always done when moving house, so why all the fuss?
Only if it were part of a business would the name be important, and in
that case you'd probably consider the cost of a domain of your own a
reasonable business expense. Otherwise it's a non-issue; if you don't
like one company's prices or conditions, go to a different one.

Rod.

+1
--
bert
Old February 24th 20, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

Exactly.
--
bert
Old February 24th 20, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , writes
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Then go to Sky if that's what you want. Why should other BT customers be
paying for none BT customers to receive something for free?
--
bert
Old February 24th 20, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 15:09:15 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I agree - a charge is OK. There are costs (small ones) in providing
storage of the mailbox, and even just forwarding.

The charges being raised in some cases are, however, extortionate.

Examples?
--
bert
Old February 24th 20, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:28:53 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 15:09:15 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge
for continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I agree - a charge is OK. There are costs (small ones) in providing
storage of the mailbox, and even just forwarding.

The charges being raised in some cases are, however, extortionate.

Examples?

I think the BT one at 7.50 a month is too much. Not that it bothers me;
I have had multiple domains and my own email server for nearly 20 years.