Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

Old February 25th 20, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Barclay[_2_]

Default Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 13:18:04 +0000, Steve wrote:

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:20:07 +0000, Martyn Barclay wrote:

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:57:16 +0000, NY wrote:

snip

We've also got our own domain with email addresses and email server,
so that is independent of ISP.
And of course gmail addresses are ISP-independent.

As are GMX - https://www.gmx.co.uk/
& mail.com - https://www.mail.com

These providers webmail seems to be the same. However, pop3 and imap are
premium features on mail.com and free on GMX.

I use GMX, so even if I change my ISP I don't lose my emails nor am I
charged for accessing my old email address.

Old February 25th 20, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 24/02/2020 20:23, bert wrote:
In article , Graham J
writes
Java Jive wrote:

[snip]

*People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if
it's* only a forwarding domain.* Then, even with forwarding only,
they'd only* have to change the forwarding address when they switch
ISPs.

True, but the cost perceived by a naive user wishing to change
connection provider is the inconvenience of the one-time change to
their own domain.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email provider
to offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

Perhaps people should just use gmail.

But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug? That was essentially what did for free ISP email when
the internet started to become seen as the WWW and almost nothing else.

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 26th 20, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 25/02/2020 20:01, Martin Brown wrote:
But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug?

Unlikely.
Much more likely they'd make us pay, since there are gmail plus Google
drive users paying for extra features already.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old February 26th 20, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 01:01:51 +0000, Brian Gregory
wrote:

On 25/02/2020 20:01, Martin Brown wrote:
But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug?

Unlikely.
Much more likely they'd make us pay, since there are gmail plus Google
drive users paying for extra features already.

Years ago the BBC provided a free email service with addresses of the
form "something @beeb.net", which were nice and short but then they
stopped doing them. Perhaps it was too much for a public service to
continue to provide a service for the public. At least they had the
decency to give three months notice and repeated warnings closer to
the cutoff day, so there was plenty of time for those of us who used
them to get our affairs in order.

Rod.
Old February 26th 20, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 25/02/2020 20:01, Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/02/2020 20:23, bert wrote:
In article , Graham J
writes
Java Jive wrote:

[snip]

*People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if
it's* only a forwarding domain.* Then, even with forwarding only,
they'd only* have to change the forwarding address when they switch
ISPs.

True, but the cost perceived by a naive user wishing to change
connection provider is the inconvenience of the one-time change to
their own domain.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email
provider to offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

Perhaps people should just use gmail.

But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug? That was essentially what did for free ISP email when
the internet started to become seen as the WWW and almost nothing else.

That's a second order problem. The main issue here is people's email
address being tied to their ISP. Using third party services which may or
may not be free solves that.

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

That's true of any service. Having your own domain doesn't avoid that
the service you're using to host your mail goes down the pan.
Old February 26th 20, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 26/02/2020 12:19, Chris wrote:
On 25/02/2020 20:01, Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/02/2020 20:23, bert wrote:
In article , Graham J
writes

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email
provider to offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

Perhaps people should just use gmail.

But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug? That was essentially what did for free ISP email when
the internet started to become seen as the WWW and almost nothing else.

That's a second order problem. The main issue here is people's email
address being tied to their ISP. Using third party services which may or
may not be free solves that.

It is more of a historic problem than anything else. Increasingly you
are just buying connectivity to the net with no other things bundled.

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

That's true of any service. Having your own domain doesn't avoid that
the service you're using to host your mail goes down the pan.

But you can be back up and running again the same day if that happens -
unless of course all email providers cease to operate the service.

You might be a bit stuck if you have a .eu domain after Brexit though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 26th 20, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 12:19:04 +0000, Chris wrote:

But what will they do when gmail decides there is no money in it and
pulls the plug? That was essentially what did for free ISP email when
the internet started to become seen as the WWW and almost nothing else.

That's a second order problem. The main issue here is people's email
address being tied to their ISP. Using third party services which may or
may not be free solves that.

As long as it's not a free one. The purveyors of anything that's free
can withdraw it any time they feel like it because you have no
contract or agreement with them. A paid service should continue to
work as long as you stay with the company that provides it, so if you
want a guaranteed email service even if it's from a separate company
you'd have to pay for it anyway. Getting internet connectivity from
one company and an email service from another simply means you have
two companies to pay if you want to keep their services instead of
one. If you pay for these things separately then you could change or
cancel them separately, but that's only an advantage if you want to do
it, otherwise it's just an additional complication, and probably an
additional cost.

Rod.
Old February 26th 20, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris wrote:

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

That's true of any service. Having your own domain doesn't avoid that
the service you're using to host your mail goes down the pan.

However you just move/change the DNS pointers to continue with the
same E-Mail address on new servers.

.... or you can always run your own SMTP server, I do.

--
Chris Green

Old February 26th 20, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 22:42:47 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Chris wrote:

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

That's true of any service. Having your own domain doesn't avoid that
the service you're using to host your mail goes down the pan.

However you just move/change the DNS pointers to continue with the same
E-Mail address on new servers.

... or you can always run your own SMTP server, I do.

Me too. Of course, it's your responsibility to keep mail safe, whether in
transit or on a longer term basis in the case of IMAP. I;m happy to do
that, and to have some backup MX hosts.
Old February 27th 20, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris wrote:

You need your own domain to be proof against the physical mailserver
vanishing from the internet completely one day. Gmail isn't forever.

That's true of any service. Having your own domain doesn't avoid that
the service you're using to host your mail goes down the pan.

However you just move/change the DNS pointers to continue with the same
E-Mail address on new servers.

... or you can always run your own SMTP server, I do.

Me too. Of course, it's your responsibility to keep mail safe, whether in
transit or on a longer term basis in the case of IMAP. I;m happy to do
that, and to have some backup MX hosts.

No IMAP involved for me, mail gets delivered direct to my SMTP server
and that stores it into my mail spool. Yes, I do back up my system
carefully.

--
Chris Green