Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

Old March 1st 20, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

Peter wrote:

Chris Green wrote

Peter wrote:

Some strange things happen e.g. the various .fr domains (free.fr,
sfr.fr, etc) have at times bounced 100% of emails if not in French!!

.fr is very picky, you have to be an SARL to get one (i.e. a Ltd
company in France).

Quite likely, but this is for sending emails *to* .fr recipients.

A really dumb antispam policy, though it is likely very effective if
you want to avoid contact with people outside France

There are a few other places where french is spoken even though it
isn't quite as widely spoken as english. :-)

--
Chris Green

Old March 2nd 20, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Peter wrote:

Chris Green wrote

Peter wrote:

Chris Green wrote

Peter wrote:

Some strange things happen e.g. the various .fr domains (free.fr,
sfr.fr, etc) have at times bounced 100% of emails if not in French!!

.fr is very picky, you have to be an SARL to get one (i.e. a Ltd
company in France).

Quite likely, but this is for sending emails *to* .fr recipients.

A really dumb antispam policy, though it is likely very effective if
you want to avoid contact with people outside France

There are a few other places where french is spoken even though it
isn't quite as widely spoken as english. :-)

In the 1st World, very few such places

Canada, parts of the USA, Belgium then lots of possibly not quite
'first world' but what has that to do with it anyway? In fact I would
have thought spam from 'not first world' countries is somewhat more
likely.

--
Chris Green

Old March 2nd 20, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 19:45:23 Peter wrote:

Chris Green wrote

Canada, parts of the USA, Belgium then lots of possibly not quite
'first world' but what has that to do with it anyway? In fact I would
have thought spam from 'not first world' countries is somewhat more
likely.

Yes indeed nearly all spam is in English but it is dumb for France to
dump non French emails.

I'm not sure that they do, at least, not on any large scale. In addition
to my UK IPs I have one in France (wanadoo.fr) and have *never* had any
problem with sending or receiving mail in either French or English,
either with my .fr account or my English ones, whether I'm in France or
the UK. And my wanadoo.fr IP (actually a legacy IP which now belongs to
orange.fr) is a dynamic one.

I should clarify: I spend several months of the year living in France.

David

Old March 3rd 20, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On 3 Mar 2020 08:30:14 GMT, Ray wrote:

Canada, parts of the USA, Belgium then lots of possibly not quite
'first world' but what has that to do with it anyway? In fact I would
have thought spam from 'not first world' countries is somewhat more
likely.

Yes indeed nearly all spam is in English but it is dumb for France to
dump non French emails.

The French are still ****ed that English ended up as the dominant language in
the US, and the prime meridian doesn't go through Paris.
Among other things.

You'd think they might be just a little bit chuffed that a widely used
expression for a universal language is "Lingua Franca", even though it
no longer means it literally.

Rod.